Sponsored

Just took car for service...now there's a slight burning smell at idle, and a wet spot (see pic)

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Car only has about 30k miles.

When I took it for service, all good. I have the performance pack 1 installed. I hadn't driven it in 3 weeks due to the snowfall. So I serviced it, drove home and then parked it until now. As soon as I serviced it and drove home from work that night, I noticed a trail of fluid coming from about where the trans is. Couldn't find the source and I couldn't identify what kind of liquid/fluid. It was dark and I couldn't see too well.

So I drove it home, all instruments fine, etc.

Today I fired it up for the first time in 3 weeks and got gas. I noticed at lights it smells like burning clutch, or rubber. but only at idle. I opened the hood and it smells to me like it's coming from the intake area but it dissipates so fast it's hard to nail.

I crawled under the car and it's damp right here (see photo)

Curiously, there is no stain or anything on my parking spot but that area seems wet whereas the rest of the underbelly of the car remains dry (it's raining/melting snow out but that's the only area that remained wet).

I checked the oil and it's at the halfway point on the dipstick. Anybody seen anything like this? Would like to take it back to the dealer, and I will, but it's supposed to snow again so I can't just yet but I hadn't driven it since picking it up from the dealer and driving it home, until today.
mustangunderbelly.jpg
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
What was the service you took it in for?
Oil change?

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
With the engine cold, reach down behind the air filter box and feel around the oil filter. Judging by the wet spots you are show us it looks like the filter is leaking a tiny bit and that oil is splattering on the hot exhaust when you drive. If that's the case tighten it if you can.

Or they made a huge mess removing the old filter and didn't wipe any of it up.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
With the engine cold, reach down behind the air filter box and feel around the oil filter. Judging by the wet spots you are show us it looks like the filter is leaking a tiny bit and that oil is splattering on the hot exhaust when you drive. If that's the case tighten it if you can.

Thank you! I went and checked it out. Can't reach it unfortunately, too tight of a fit, especially with the Power Pack air filter box being so big. live in a condo so nowhere to remove it sadly.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

I would be thinking the latter applies ......

@Op
Who did the service?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's this area like :

1641302653323.png

Lower arm, cross member, funny round thing at the top right of the photo and the floor all look damp / oily ?

WD :like:

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
My guess is that they only dropped a portion of the undershield when they changed the filter and didnt clean it. Probably dropped the filter onto the shield and it got everywhere and made a mess. Now oil from the old filter is sitting up there and leaking down - the burning smell - it probably splashed on the header as well.

Could always take it back to them and tell them you just had your oil changed and now its leaking/burning smell. Sounds like someone didn't do their job correctly and it needs to be taken care of so it doesn't happen again.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I would be thinking the latter applies ......

@Op
Who did the service?
Ford dealership, same one I got the car from.

What's this area like :

1641302653323.png

Lower arm, cross member, funny round thing at the top right of the photo and the floor all look damp / oily ?

WD :like:
Yeah that side looks oily too, though what's on the floor may just be from the wet snow/rain dripping down. The lower arm though definitely looks like it's got something going on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It could be a number of things by trying to diagnose a picture...

Condensation from A/C system (if running defroster)
residual water from driving on wet road surfaces
oil from oil filter being loose
oil from oil sensor above oil filter
oil from oil seepage
oil spillage from Tech doing oil change etc etc...

Get car safely on stands to research further or take it back to the Shop that did the oil change and have them get dirty researching it. If the Tech spilled oil all over the belly pan (or the front K-member), they clean it. Otherwise that oil is just going to bathe the underside of the car while driving.
Sponsored