Sponsored

June 2017 Mustang Sales

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I get 4 of the national car mags every month (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track, Automobile). I am biased, as a Mustang owner, but it seems these mags go out of their way to praise GM vehicles. I am paraphrasing but one comment I read on a recent, long term test of a '16 Camaro SS..."take away the Camaro's many flaws and the Mustang would be irrelevant"......LOL, sure. The Camaro has more HP and is marginally quicker (it has 1.2 litres more displacement after all) but to me, it's almost a perception by these mags that GM is a superior entity even when their own reporting has shown major flaws in the Corvette, Camaro, Silverado (I don't know anyone with a late model Silverado that hasn't had problems). Most long term reviews of the C7 Corvette are anything but flattering.........I for one, don't get it.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I get 4 of the national car mags every month (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track, Automobile). I am biased, as a Mustang owner, but it seems these mags go out of their way to praise GM vehicles. I am paraphrasing but one comment I read on a recent, long term test of a '16 Camaro SS..."take away the Camaro's many flaws and the Mustang would be irrelevant"......LOL, sure. The Camaro has more HP and is marginally quicker (it has 1.2 litres more displacement after all) but to me, it's almost a perception by these mags that GM is a superior entity even when their own reporting has shown major flaws in the Corvette, Camaro, Silverado (I don't know anyone with a late model Silverado that hasn't had problems). Most long term reviews of the C7 Corvette are anything but flattering.........I for one, don't get it.
FYI:

Team Camaro/Corvette's Executive Media Manager is Ron Kiino. Ron is also a beloved ex-employee at Motor Trend.

You will notice the Camaro/Corvette do not use traditional advertising. Instead, Team Camaro/Corvette have used Motor Trend exclusively for advertising.

That said, a human will put his reputation on the line for so long.

Once Chevy acquired Rin Kiino and developed a monopoly on media, Ford started using C&D/R&T to leak info and, basically block Chevy from doing that again. Buying the media has turned on GM, people can feel dishonesty in the advertisements and reviews.

If I were you, If you absolutely need to read reviews, stick to C&D/R&T.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
it's all about who is paying them more in advertising.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
All I know is. If it wasn't for all the Hawaii rental Mustangs. The Camaro would be crushing in sales.:D

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The semantics of what defines is a muscle car is generally lost on the mass populations that buy Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers.

American V8 RWD Coupe = Muscle car as far as the consumer market is concerned.
Some automotive class definitions are pretty clear. A coupe is a car with two doors, a sedan has 4, a roadster is a two seater without a roof. But other categories are less precise. Sportscar is...a car, usually a coupe, designed for spirited driving. A pony car is...an American sports coupe of some kind? A muscle car - An American car with a big engine generally optimized for straight line performance. People can argue all day that this car is or isn't this or that, but you will never win. In the end, there are a few cases that everyone can clearly agree on (a Miata is a roadster, it is NOT a muscle car) but most of the time it is a debate on how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Now somebody is going to point out that the Miata is not a roadster because it actually has a roof, just a convertible while "true" roadsters have no roof at all.

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
"No, Mustang generally outsells Camaro. Nothing new there. Mustang sales are down 38% compared to only 6% for Camaro. I think that is the number that tells the story."

Real Einsteins over there.
Yeop. That and grasping at straws.

Perhaps these Einsteins missed the YTD?

Mustang 44,608
Camaro 36,567

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Some automotive class definitions are pretty clear. A coupe is a car with two doors, a sedan has 4, a roadster is a two seater without a roof. But other categories are less precise. Sportscar is...a car, usually a coupe, designed for spirited driving. A pony car is...an American sports coupe of some kind? A muscle car - An American car with a big engine generally optimized for straight line performance. People can argue all day that this car is or isn't this or that, but you will never win. In the end, there are a few cases that everyone can clearly agree on (a Miata is a roadster, it is NOT a muscle car) but most of the time it is a debate on how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Now somebody is going to point out that the Miata is not a roadster because it actually has a roof, just a convertible while "true" roadsters have no roof at all.
I agree with you, though BMW would like to have a word :lol: 4 and 6 GC...

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeop. That and grasping at straws.

Perhaps these Einsteins missed the YTD?

Mustang 44,608
Camaro 36,567
LOL so true. % changes from year to year don't really matter though it should be dropping for the Mustang by quite a bit since the car sold so well in 2015 and 2016. The car has been out for almost three years already and is still outselling the car that is better in every way.

The Mustang sales numbers from 2015 and 2016 may never be matched again by these three cars, as bad as the S550 is made out to be it sold like crazy and is still selling well into year three even with the SS being the faster car and the Challenger/Charger making gains.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Interesting sales numbers. Camaro numbers are fairly disappointing. I get GM strategy is to cut fleet to almost 0, but for an all new model I think has to be sting internally.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
LOL so true. % changes from year to year don't really matter though it should be dropping for the Mustang by quite a bit since the car sold so well in 2015 and 2016. The car has been out for almost three years already and is still outselling the car that is better in every way.

The Mustang sales numbers from 2015 and 2016 may never be matched again by these three cars, as bad as the S550 is made out to be it sold like crazy and is still selling well into year three even with the SS being the faster car and the Challenger/Charger making gains.
Better in every way other than being an all around better car. Camaro has the performance but not the comfort or looks IMO. It's just more of a niche car with it's styling. People will recognize the Mustang before they do the Camaro in the real world.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If US sales didn't start to relax last Fall, there is no way Ford could have caught up to Overseas back-orders.

Overseas Mustang sales are expected to ballon from 18% to 30% this year. Up from 8% in 2015.

Reality is, by 2018 (and with a sharper refresh), foreign sales could exceed 45% of sales/production.

I have a feeling that Worldwide sales of the '18 could rival the '15. Just based on a potentially higher overseas number.