papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Just to put here some information, over here (Italy) the release of the new Mustang got some attention, with articles, reviews and some shy spots at cinemas and maybe some on television. Nothing big, but someone could have noticed that this car is sold here.

For the Camaro, I just found some days ago that it is also sold in Europe! I believe that it's not sold officially here, because I haven't heard anything about that. Yeah probably car enthusiasts knew that, but everyday people does not even know that it exists (apart seeing it in Transformers movie, but no one could think that you can buy it in Italy).

Probably it's also GM faults that don't make advertising and propose test drives..

About seeing on the street, in my area it's still hard to see Mustangs (I found one some weeks ago)... no chance you can meet a Camaro or Challenger.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mods are not just superchargers, suspension and body mods they can as simple as different wheels and a stripe
I realize, but I would say the large majority of Mustangs I see being driven daily at least are cosmetically stock, and don't have an exhaust or anything like that either. You can put stripes on any car so I don't count that as a kind of part specific for the Mustang as a result of the extensive aftermarket.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Again not likly a big factor but I would bet it does affect some sales. The camaro is nearly a year old and there is not a lot of options for mods as of yet. The challenger is nearly a decade old and not nearly the amount of mods available compared to the 6th Gen mustang. Hell you have to crack the ecu open to tune the damn thing. Chevy makes the Camaro very difficult to tune from what I see on c6g.

Sure middling is not what 90% of people will do but for that 10% they will likely choose the mod friendly car.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
No 6g Camaros in rental fleets. LOL! I'm in Kalispell MT and there are no less than seven a available. Not exactly a hot spot, either.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Hey guys, the Camaro is a super car now. It only needs super car sales numbers. On Camaro they say Ferrari and Bugatti aren't bad cars because of low sales volume and the Camaro now competes with those because it's a few 10ths faster than the Mustang. It's all part of GM's plan.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The MSRP needs to come down now and Cash Back isn't going to cut it. At this point, a cash back option would cut directly into profits, even if there is any. Typically, the first 12-18 months of "profit" isn't money in the pocket. It is paying for the R&D, marketing, ect, ect. A car doesn't become profitable until after the 2nd or 3rd year of sales. In order for Chevy to drop the MSRP, they would need to go back into the Camaro and replace what makes it expensive.

Easy right? Well... maybe not...

In theory, it is easy to go in and replace the exotic material in the structure. It would only cost less if the ATS removed that material as well. So far it hasn't happened BUT, doing this only on the Camaro could make it even more expensive.

The extra cost is not coming from the interior because the 1SS is really cheap looking inside and the 2SS is getting up to par with the ATS. The performance equipment cannot get any smaller or less useful than it is now so that's out of the question.

The ONLY avenue of approach now is eliminating the light weight material in the structure to reduce the material and production cost so they can reduce the MSRP. It absolutely must be done, it's life of death now.

Unfortunately, the opposing issue is an immediately refresh/redesign. This would have a negative impact on the Camaro's MSRP ONLY.

The only other reasonable option would be to eliminate the base engine option. The 2.0 option can be dropped completely like the ATS did (2.5 base engine dropped) and bring the MSRP down on the V6 and SS... but will that work for the Camaro?

The ATS base engine sales were severely low, less than 10% I think. The Camaro's 2.0 accounted for 20-25% of total sales.

Imagine current sales being 20-25% lower but the 1SS starting at $37,000...

Man... they are just totally screwed... even thePill can't spin in a brighter light. It's such a crazy balance to call.

I say pull some exotic metal out of the Camaro's Alpha and hope it helps lower the MSRP and doesn't increase it. The savings in material could offset the special production cost. It doesn't sound good though...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Since the MSRP is an issue at every level, it's nearly impossible for Chevy to do an emergency refresh/redesign. A front and rear refresh would require a new crash test to be conducted. Maybe they could push their internal 2019-'20 refresh up to 2018.

Profits are impacted either way and Gen 7 is in jeopardy of being even less exciting as this continues.

The prime suspect in this equation is the structures super high cost. They need to eliminate some of the exotic lightweighting from the structure. Regardless how much weight it adds, how much rigidity is sacrificed and how much performance is lost.

I bet we see another 30-40% decrease from July 2015 and another 4-6% drop from last month. If Chevy can only muster 4500 sales next month, August, September and October will follow the same trends.

Look for ATS Sized numbers for the camaro in the winter. This is real and it's happening at an accelerated rate.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm not sure why the 2016 ended up being so far from the 2006 concept.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=137060

The 2006 Camaro concept had nearly identical dimensions except for the '06 being optimal in many areas.

110.5 inch wheelbase, 63.2/63.8 track, 186.x length, 53 inch height. The 2016 is theoretically near what the exciting concept was in 2006. I'm not sure why the styling went crazy...

Note the Wheelbase to Track Ratio? 1.68 and damn near perfect for its size...

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, the Camaro is a super car now. It only needs super car sales numbers. On Camaro they say Ferrari and Bugatti aren't bad cars because of low sales volume and the Camaro now competes with those because it's a few 10ths faster than the Mustang. It's all part of GM's plan.
Thats funny I guess that means my wife's new Edge is a super car to. They built 16.000 less than the Escape and it faster than chevy equinox.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I have really come to enjoy lurking over on Camaro6 to watch the bloodbath...

Nvrsatisfied is a hoot, I think he's Qtrhorse here...same stupid as shit argument styles.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Funny as all hell Todd. TY:lol:

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP ingot silver
I don't believe anyone purchases a car based on it sales. There are too many variables at play. But we do know the following. Ford chose to build a car that killed it in sales making it choosing affordability as their main concern while Chevy chose performance. Most people will take affordability over performance. This whole thread is dumb because out of the 3 the challenger looks the best and is second in performance and look at their sales.
Sponsored