Jmeo's 2020 Shelby American GT500 SE Wide Body Build (+ "Phase 2")

A3Herman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herman
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine say Shelby on the brakes at all four corners. They’re brembos but they have Shelby decals on them which were done at Shelby American in Las Vegas.

EF8EDCA4-CE90-4929-B48D-98743C5ED889.jpeg

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine say Shelby on the brakes at all four corners. They’re brembos but they have Shelby decals on them which were done at Shelby American in Las Vegas.

EF8EDCA4-CE90-4929-B48D-98743C5ED889.jpeg

They sure do look good. Correct, they repaint the calipers, and paint on the letters. I love the fact that the letters are painted, and not just decals.

I have added the painted calipers/letters to my options list, now I just need to decide if I want to go a different color other than the red they are now. I will more than likely stay red (maybe a darker red) with white lettering, much like yours.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have asked this question to a couple of my detail orientated friends, and I have gotten back two different answers. No surprise, as this is definitely a subjective opinion.

The SE hood that comes installed on this car is 100% carbon fiber. The stock bits (hood vent, hinges, gaskets, hood pins, etc.) are transferred over to it, but the extra vents on either side of the hood are moulded into the hood as one piece, not removable like the center heat vent. I have the option to do what ever I want with the hood, paint wise. Here are the two options I have narrowed down to.

One, paint the hood exactly as the stock one, including the additional side hood vents. This will leave the look as close to stock-ish. Here is an image showing exactly that.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.11.46 AM.png

Two, leave the louvers/gills of the additional side vents exposed carbon fiber, and have everything else painted Ford Performance Blue (retaining the white hood stripes of course). This would allow the louvers/gills to remain exposed carbon fiber, but clear coated to a gloss when the entire hood gets clear coated. Here are the best images I could find showing exactly what I mean.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.09.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.09.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.10.36 AM.png

It's not clear to see if they painted the louvers/gills black to match the center heat vent on this car or not, but I would choose to leave them exposed, clear coated carbon fiber, if I went this way. I would then pick up a carbon fiber center heat extractor to tie them in together. I also wish I could have seen this on a Ford Performance Blue car, but it's just not possible. I think my car will be the first FPB car to be converted.

First world problems I know, haha. I have absolutely NOTHING to do with myself BUT plan how I want this car, so I thought I would get this sorted out while I wait. I truly go back and fourth between these two options. I can appreciate both options for the look that they will will provide.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jaime

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have asked this question to a couple of my detail orientated friends, and I have gotten back two different answers. No surprise, as this is definitely a subjective opinion.

The SE hood that comes installed on this car is 100% carbon fiber. The stock bits (hood vent, hinges, gaskets, hood pins, etc.) are transferred over to it, but the extra vents on either side of the hood are moulded into the hood as one piece, not removable like the center heat vent. I have the option to do what ever I want with the hood, paint wise. Here are the two options I have narrowed down to.

One, paint the hood exactly as the stock one, including the additional side hood vents. This will leave the look as close to stock-ish. Here is an image showing exactly that.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.11.46 AM.png

Two, leave the louvers/gills of the additional side vents exposed carbon fiber, and have everything else painted Ford Performance Blue (retaining the white hood stripes of course). This would allow the louvers/gills to remain exposed carbon fiber, but clear coated to a gloss when the entire hood gets clear coated. Here are the best images I could find showing exactly what I mean.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.09.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.09.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.10.36 AM.png

It's not clear to see if they painted the louvers/gills black to match the center heat vent on this car or not, but I would choose to leave them exposed, clear coated carbon fiber, if I went this way. I would then pick up a carbon fiber center heat extractor to tie them in together. I also wish I could have seen this on a Ford Performance Blue car, but it's just not possible. I think my car will be the first FPB car to be converted.

First world problems I know, haha. I have absolutely NOTHING to do with myself BUT plan how I want this car, so I thought I would get this sorted out while I wait. I truly go back and fourth between these two options. I can appreciate both options for the look that they will will provide.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jaime
That’s a tough call... I do like the subtly of the painted side vents in the image you posted. But I think that small amount of exposed glossy cf would also look killer

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a tough call... I do like the subtly of the painted side vents in the image you posted. But I think that small amount of exposed glossy cf would also look killer
EXACTLY my dilemma.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Im not a exposed carbon fan, so I think you know my opinion....

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I think it looks good with the vents left carbon. It will add to all the other black accents. Mirror caps, front bumper middle section, spoiler, side skirts, etc I think it will flow just fine. If you had more body color painted parts then the vents would look good painted the body color.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Paint the hood to match the car, and all vents exposed carbon fiber. I'd also look into an exposed carbon fiber wing and have shelby install it so that it is part of the shelby conversion

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Paint the hood to match the car, and all vents exposed carbon fiber. I'd also look into an exposed carbon fiber wing and have shelby install it so that it is part of the shelby conversion
You’ve been reading my mind Tom. Although the bill is getting out of hand, the more done by them the better for my purposes. I believe I am stuck waiting for Anderson if I want the track Pack style wing. I know I could get a carbon version of the one I have right now though.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
As the person with the best design sensibilities on here :D, I'd leave the CF exposed on the vents, it's a slick treatment.

It would be extra cool to tie the CF into some additional CF components, interior and/or exterior - obviously, without going nuts __and__ with only using real CF that's a complete replacement part (unless it's done so seamless as to appear that way ...)

I had a (non-Mustang) hood done what way, full CF part, painted Sebring Silver, with the main center vents left exposed, along with single asymmetric side vent :)

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
You’ve been reading my mind Tom. Although the bill is getting out of hand, the more done by them the better for my purposes. I believe I am stuck waiting for Anderson if I want the track Pack style wing. I know I could get a carbon version of the one I have right now though.
I thought the SE upgraded the rear wing to a track pack style one?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'll text you about Anderson.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Tough call here Jaime.
I think both ways look killer, as I love that hood. But, I think the exposed carbon fiber will break it up a bit.