Sponsored

JLT Cold Air problems?

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Has anyone had any issues with using either a 15-17 or 18+ JLT Cold Air intake? I just did longtubes, a ported 18 manifold, and a Lund tune, and I’ve been having numerous issues trying to use this cold air. At first, I had a 18+ version and it seemingly caused some weird idle hunting problems and delayed throttle response. WOT felt pretty good though. Brandon @ Lund after a few data logs had me swap the factory 15-17 cold air back on and sent me a revision. After that, the car drove great and didn’t seem to have any idle or off idle throttle issues. WOT still felt good. I ordered a 15-17 JLT cold air after talking with some forum members that noted the 18+ JLT didn’t fit the 15-17 cars good at all and they had performance issues themselves. After it arrived, Brandon instructed to load the first tune that was sent to me. I noticed right after starting the car that the weird idle hunting problem had returned, and the off idle throttle felt sluggish again. WOT feels incredibly strong, but now there’s an added bucking/power fluctuation problem at part throttle in a high gear. Between 3-4k rpm in 5th gear giving it enough throttle to accelerate causes the car to feel like someone is rapidly coming on and off the throttle, something like going back and forth between 25% and 50% throttle. I have gone ahead and sent the data long to Lund but at this point I’m kind of lost as to what it is. For 15-17 cars, a JLT CAI, Ported 18 manifold, and Longtubes seems to be a really common and well tested combo, so I’m unsure as to why I’m having these issues. Hoping to get some ideas here. Thanks!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don’t have a JLT CAI on my car (2019 Bullitt), but I do have a PMAS which is also uses an open air filter element. I didn’t have the same issues that you describe, but I did have rev hang (1500-1800 rpm for 5-10 seconds), when letting off the throttle and putting the car in neutral while coming to a stop. Brandon at Lund also tuned my car and when I inquired about the rev hang, he told me that it was a turbulence issue with the PMAS and that there was nothing a tune could correct. I accepted this and have since put about 2K miles on the car and surprisingly, the problem seems to have just about subsided.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I installed the JLT CAI intake on my 2020 PP LEVEL 2, but used a tune written for me from JDM Engineering....it has been flawless! I'd contact JDM at teamjdm.com describe your mods and setup...ask what they can do for you.

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I installed the JLT CAI intake on my 2020 PP LEVEL 2, but used a tune written for me from JDM Engineering....it has been flawless! I'd contact JDM at teamjdm.com describe your mods and setup...ask what they can do for you.
Not knocking the JDM Tune, but I’m already around $700 invested on the Lund tune with device so switching tuners would be my last resort, no other possibilities option. I’m confident it’s not a lack of Lunds tuning ability given their rep, it’s most likely something mechanical, bad sensor somewhere, etc.
Sponsored