Long Term Storage

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'll be storing my Mustang for extended periods of time and would like to know (tried search) which route is better, disconnecting battery or using a battery maintainer.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Let me start by saying that I think it's most beneficial to hook up a maintainer, rather than just disconnecting. Maintaining method comes down to what's most convenient, with a small safety factor to keep in mind. If you're storing in your garage, go the easy route and maintain it in the car. If storing remote, I personally don't like the idea of putting on a charger and leaving it on its own for long periods of time. I know this sounds paranoid, but I envision a mouse getting under the hood and chewing a live, 120V AC wire and igniting a fire.

Tell us more about the storage. My answer depends on 'where'.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
It will be in my fully secure garage in AZ. Parked once for 6 weeks then again for 4 months.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'd just use a battery tender thats what I use every winter for 3 or 4 months and never had an issue.

Deleted member 35644

It will be in my fully secure garage in AZ. Parked once for 6 weeks then again for 4 months.
If it were me, if I won't be laying eyes on the car fairly regularly, I'd bring the battery home and put it on a tender. That's safer than hooking it up and leaving it alone for a long time, and better for the battery than just unhooking it.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Battery on a tender, full gas tank with stabilizer added. Hold the gas pedal to the floor for 5 to 10 seconds the first time you start it after storage in the hope of getting some oil pressure in the system before it fires up.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
For periods that long use a tender. The reason is that sulphation will occur if it goes without a charge that long, compromising the battery.

Another option: I see you have a 2015. Original battery? Maybe for the 4-month span you just pull the battery and get a new one when you remove the car from storage.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My GT sits all winter with no special considerations. I have a battery tender but I haven't had to use it. The Mustang battery management seems quite good. In other cars, the battery tender has worked very well. However I would replace an OEM 6 year old battery.

Tellme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
My GT sits all winter with no special considerations. I have a battery tender but I haven't had to use it. The Mustang battery management seems quite good. In other cars, the battery tender has worked very well. However I would replace an OEM 6 year old battery.
I'm glad to hear this because mine has been sitting outside under a cover for a couple months now. I only started it once like two months ago. Hope it's still good.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
The battery is brand new. Any ECU memory issues if I leave it disconnected?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Buy 3 round trip plane ticket(s) 6 months in advance. Spend all weekend driving it in AZ. Fly home and weep in the interim 3-4 weeks till your next trip.

Last edited:

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I have nothing to contribute, just wanted to say this thread reminds me I'll be getting it out of storage in about 3 weeks. No battery tender at all, just hope it rips, which it will.

Like Christmas for guys.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
The battery is brand new. Any ECU memory issues if I leave it disconnected?
Quote me if I'm wrong (been awhile since I took my courses lol), disconnecting the battery for a bit of time may erase the keep alive memory in the PCM/TCM (data on how you drive to smooth out engine/transmission operation).

Personally, I would just use a battery tender as recommended to keep it charged if you're worried. Otherwise with a new battery you should be alright for a few months before it may discharge enough to not crank. Just make sure you get a tender and not a charger - I ended up finally killing my 6 year old red top Optima by using a small charger that I thought was a tender.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Tender it will be. I'm an RV'er and an electrician which makes me a battery geek so I'll be going with a NOCO Genius product, don't need any ECU memory issues.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Battery tender. Hands down. I leave several cars on em while we're out of town and the '66 Vette stays on one most of the year when it's in winter storage. You'll notice that when you crank the car up after a few weeks on a battery tender that is seems to crank even better than with a brand new, fully charged, off the shelf battery. No idea why. This has been the case for 3 different cars.
Sponsored