Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
GrandPrix.com said:
Jacques Villeneuve also questions the 2021 technical regulations, with cars that are 3-4 seconds slower per lap designed to be easier to race wheel-to-wheel.

"We don't care if they are slower," Villeneuve insisted. "All they need to do is design cars that are hard to drive.

"But now they'll be 25kg heavier. The heavier they are, the more stable they are. It will not help.
Time to stop laughing at old timers' belief in "road hugging weight"
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Formula One vs street cars are total opposites.

In an F1 car where they are hyper sensitive to steering, braking and cornering forces it’s reasonable that extra weight on each corner and the suspension will make it more stable and less twitchy. The car weighs nothing as it is and minor weight changes can have big impacts.

For our cars, freeing up rotational mass will do nothing but help. Tire choice is more critical for stable vs twitchy in my opinion.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Formula One vs street cars are total opposites.

In an F1 car where they are hyper sensitive to steering, braking and cornering forces it’s reasonable that extra weight on each corner and the suspension will make it more stable and less twitchy. The car weighs nothing as it is and minor weight changes can have big impacts.

For our cars, freeing up rotational mass will do nothing but help. Tire choice is more critical for stable vs twitchy in my opinion.
I disagree that F1 vs. street cars are opposites. More weight makes a street car more stable as well.

You want the same thing as Jacques - a more lively car that handles better. F1 or street - more grip and less weight makes the car more lively and entertaining to drive.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Heavier means slower. Always.

NASCAR stripped out 300-400hp his year. They could have added 500 pounds and gotten more entertaining results. I imagine Goodyear said NO.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Heavier means slower. Always.
If everything else is equal, yes of course. And heavier is less fun to drive.

What Jacques was saying is the same as what you are saying HEAVY = STABLE = SLOW
Sponsored