Sponsored

Is this normal with an aftermarket intercooler?

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Last weekend I put a CVF Street Intercooler on my car. It keeps my temps down but the boost is being strange. When I go near full throttle and accelerate I'm hitting a max boost of around 12-14 PSI. My vacuum when cruising along is around 22-25inHG. Checked my charge pipes (they're the stock pipes) and the couplers are tight on both ends. Is this normal with a new intercooler? Car isn't throwing any codes or a CEL.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I had the same shortly after my intercooler install. Turned out the hot side hose was on tight but it was too close to the end of the stub so the clamp wasn't past the barb and it was leaking boost. When I tried to fix it it got worse and ended up popping off completely so I fabricated an extension to get it all the way on without tension on the hose. Factory fit isn't always perfect fit with aftermarket parts. Check to make sure there is plenty of hose on all the pipe ends and that the clamps are on square and tight past the barb of the stud and you'll probably find it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
boost leak
what he said, you need to redo your pipes, make them so both sides have ample amount of coverage on both ends. its annoying trust me, I blew my pipes off several times. but id rather do that, than have them hold and have a boost leak where gotta find them

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Get the engine warm & then loosen the clamps, reposition everything so all the hoses fit nicely, re-torque all the clamps.

Once it's completely cooled (overnight or similar) get it warm again & re-torque a final time.

OP
OP

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
thanks for the replies y'all. are the stock clamps sufficient or should i get different ones?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
IMO, the stock clamps are completely functional. At some point in the future, you should consider installing the CVF hot & cold pipes, which comes with very nice connection hoses and hardware.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, the stock clamps are completely functional. At some point in the future, you should consider installing the CVF hot & cold pipes, which comes with very nice connection hoses and hardware.
Nice but optional
Oem pipes are completely suitable

I got CPE pipes because I wanted hks bov and needed a pipe with the ability to mount it

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
thanks for the replies y'all. are the stock clamps sufficient or should i get different ones?
Stock clamps and pipes are perfectly fine. Pressure and temperatures aren't going to exceed stock by any appreciable amount. I only ended up replacing mine because I thought they were necessary to fit the intercooler...they weren't.
Sponsored