Sponsored

Is this an exhaust leak or am I chasing my tail?

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT auto Grabber Blue
I've recently Installed headers on my 2017 GT and ever since I've noticed this ticking noise, it seems most noticeable under load/low RPMs, i.e high gear going up a hill or something really exacerbates it. Unless I'm next to a wall I can't hear it with the windows down, I can only hear it windows up music off.

I'm in Australia so it's a RHD model and I seem to notice it coming from the driver side and not really the passenger side (of course the drivers side header is the painful one to get on and off:explode:) So far I've had the driver side header off twice since putting them on and each time the noise is still there, I've tried different gaskets, stock ones twice and now the graphite ones that came with the headers, I've cut the inter joining bits on the header flange in case there was a slight warp so it would pull up easier, nothing seems to get rid of it. It's killing me and I'm starting to contemplate my life choices in getting these headers lol.

Does anyone else who has headers hear a similar noise to the videos below or have I still got a leak to chase down somehow :headbang:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1CX8zDNuaW4qbe367
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wS13ES2quAAeHoGL9

After watching these videos back on my laptop I can hardly even hear the noise... so they may not be much help, but it might depend on what speakers you have.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The leak may be where the primary tubes join at the collectors as well. Or any other joint in the exhaust system.

Pinpointing the noise can be deceiving when it’s coming from under the hood or car.

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The leak may be where the primary tubes join at the collectors as well. Or any other joint in the exhaust system.

Pinpointing the noise can be deceiving when it’s coming from under the hood or car.
Maybe I need to get it running and try and get under it and use the hose trick to see what I can hear around the area too

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Interested to hear what kind of responses you get. I put ARH catted headers on last year and I immediately noticed a fluttering type noise inside that the stock headers didn't make. This is the first car I've done this on so I don't have much experience. Like you, I only hear it only during low rpm situations. Unlike your video though, I don't have a perceivable tick with the hood up. I used OEM gaskets and everything is tight. I've crawled around under the car and can't hear the same noise anywhere. I'e convinced myself that headers induce more engine noise, maybe that's all you are hearing.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Long tube headers make more noise at the front of the car than the OEM shortys. Primaries are much thinner and they exaggerate engine noise. I think what your hearing is probably just regular header sounds.

Sponsored

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Long tube headers make more noise at the front of the car than the OEM shortys. Primaries are much thinner and they exaggerate engine noise. I think what your hearing is probably just regular header sounds.
I'd really love for that to be the case... As pulling these headers on and off it certainly getting old lol.

The thing I keep coming back to is the noise, to me anyway, seems to be coming from the driver side only, very very faint tick coming from the passenger side when you have the hood up but I think that's just valve train noise. I can't come up with any other reason why it would be noisier on one side than the other unless it's an exhaust leak unfortunately

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Man, glad I didn't hit the buy now button on those headers lol

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, glad I didn't hit the buy now button on those headers lol
Yeah definitely having second thoughts at this point too, will wait and see what this turns out to be before I pass final judgment. But yeah at this point I'm about ready to drop 2.5k on ARH headers but we'll see if I can get to the bottom of this noise.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Interested to see what you come up with. I was about to pounce on a set of Pacemaker, but they may need a design revision to fit the 18-19s. Waiting to hear back from pacemaker about that. Good luck!

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
my headers are making the exact similar noise you're describing and I know they are leaking from scraping due to being too low. Have someone smoke your tailpipe and get under the car to take a look.

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Get a can of that fake smoke from Jaycar and have someone feed some through the intake while you checkout the car from underneath, if it has a leak you'll see it!

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
sounds like mine honestly and ive had mine on for over a year with no issues. i prob wouldnt worry about it

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I always look for if I suspect an exhaust leak, is black marks around the gasket sealing areas. If there is an opening there will be some telltale carbon marks.

OP
OP

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first thing I always look for if I suspect an exhaust leak, is black marks around the gasket sealing areas. If there is an opening there will be some telltale carbon marks.
That's the thing, whenever I have taken the headers off there is no carbon trail on the flange or head, I don't know how long that would take to build up, I probably only did like 200kms of driving between each times I've had them on and off.
Sponsored