Sponsored

Is the Mustang the official car of Hawaii?

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Assume you're talking about Marukame Udon on Kuhio?

I saw the line at that place every night, and wanted to try it, but the wait wasn't worth it. They open at like 7 AM, and on my last day, I walked right in at breakfast time to have some udon. It was amazing!

Chiba-Ken is a really good sushi place over near the Hilton Hawaiian Village that I'd recommend!

I also walked into the Tesla store a little...drunk...one night.

JR
Yes I thought the wait would not be worth it but only about 5 to 10 mins - and it was worth it!
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My Experience IN Hawaii

Hi All

I was on 4 different Hawaiian Islands in August.

Frankly, every, 100%, all, Honeymoon couples either drove a Jeep Wrangler or a brightly colored Mustang Ecoboost.

I was a little disappointed in not seeing many white ones like CVCashmere

There were a very small fleet of GT;s available-both were black.

When I go back...I will rent the Jeep!

CVCAshmere

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Since I've only been to Hawaii once and that was 2006. Do you guys happen to know the best place to just have a relaxing coastal drive with little traffic, lots of open road, lots of sun and water...and will be listening to that Hawaiian reggae..we may go this summer and I kinda want to do that because it just seems fun. I will most likely rent out a vert too and sacrifice the sunburn for it.
No such place without traffic.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
on O'ahu timing is everything but the further out from town you are the better. nice beach cruising on the east side fall the way to Yokohama Bay/Kaena, ditto the North shore from Haleiwa side, as well as around Kaneohe thru Laie to the NS. Beaches with absolutely nobody on them you just have to find off the beaten path. The drive up Tantalus is also a good one, very twisty and scenic as well. Just remember O'ahu is the heaviest populated island with the majority of Hawaii's people plus all the visitors packed in to mostly the south side so it is a mess usually.

-
Big Island has the most wide open traffic lanes in the entire state, again stay out of the big towns like Kona and you'll be rewarded with miles and miles of pristine island and no development whatsoever. I haven't seen a building over 3 stories anywhere nor a freeway or an elevated rail track to nowhere in almost two years now, my town has just one stop light, and I like it like that. Lots of coastal, mountain and inland roads to cruise, you won't make it around in a single day :D why would you want to. get a jeep and explore.

sample pic, the beach you see flying in to KOA. jeep is best but rental mustang will make it heck I seen 4 door KIAs chance the backroads lol wonderful wonderful and there are other islands to go too.
IMG_7360a.jpg

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
no worries Z, like danno you going home soon lol

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Hi All

Frankly, every, 100%, all, Honeymoon couples either drove a Jeep Wrangler or a brightly colored Mustang Ecoboost.

CVCAshmere
I'll be resembling that remark come mid April! Getting a jeep for a week!

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
I've rented two Mustangs in the past two years.

In Tampa last year, we got a black '17 GT vert premium with 20 miles on it. We put 400 miles on it in 3 days. The car was a blast and surprisingly cheap.

In LA this past December, we got an '18 Ecoboost premium coupe. I was impressed with the power, but 10 speeds is way too many for paddle shifting.

These two experiences definitely made me want a Mustang again, so clearly the rental thing is working well for Ford. Too bad they can't make the car a bit smaller to convince me to actually buy one.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Maui Raceway Park has been open for a long time. I've been there. They have a dragstrip, autocross, dirt oval, kart track, motocross, tons of stuff. It's not in very good shape though, but it's better than nothing. You can look at it on google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.8153583,-156.4601416,1823m/data=!3m1!1e3
Sweet, thanks, I been driving right past it all this time! sheesh. My mom's side is from Maui but rarely do I get the chance to go. last time was all about the tennis tourney (wife) so hardly any fun time just in and out. I will definitely try to check it out in the future!
weird, just thought about it and two of my cars are from Maui the cobra rep and now this mustang.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Hi All

CVCAshmere
make sure you give the jeep wave! I miss that a lot about driving a jeep. the patriotic club :usa: here, I give some mustangs a quick flash or the wave and some actually wave back especially the modified ones so for sure local and not a confused tourist wondering why is that car blinking at me haha. drive with aloha. :clap2:

Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
No such place without traffic.
On Maui there is. There aren't many people on the Piilani Highway from my experience. Been there too many times to count. It seems most tourists go back through Hana after visiting the seven pools in the park. I was there last spring and only saw like two other cars.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Man Oahu was the worst place I have ever lived when modding a car. Rebuild sticker and safety inspection woe's abound! Lucky for me I found a group that took me in and called me "Ohana" or I would have been stuck with a car in the garage or would have had to of found a way to send it back to the mainland without a Safety sticker. I miss living in Hawaii but I have to admit, the wide open spaces on the mainland make for better driving than I ever got on the island.

Last edited:

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Man Oahu was the worst place I have ever lived when modding a car. Rebuild sticker and safety inspection woe's abound! Lucky for me I found a group that took me in and called me "Ohana" or I would have been stuck with a car in the garage or would have had to of found a way to send it back to the mainland without a Safety sticker. I miss lining in Hawaii but I have to admit, the wide open spaces on the mainland make for better driving than I ever got on the island.
yah O'ahu pretty bad with the "recon" checks if mod anything, nothing like that here. but the winner of worst has got to be Cali with smog and CARB only approved mods. so bad people register their cars out of state to avoid it. that's really bad.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
yah O'ahu pretty bad with the "recon" checks if mod anything, nothing like that here. but the winner of worst has got to be Cali with smog and CARB only approved mods. so bad people register their cars out of state to avoid it. that's really bad.
Recon, yup that was the PITA....lol forgot what it was called. Yeah Cali is really bad for just about everything. There is a reason I steer as far away from that place as possible. So sad for a place that is known for, among other things, it's rich car culture.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
When I moved to Maui and had to get my 15 PPGT inspected, I found out that some things that are legal in CA, are illegal in HI (like my rear window tint darkness) and some things that are legal in HI are illegal in CA. Both places can be a pain depending on what you want to do. I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to get that car registered on Maui.
Sponsored