Sponsored

Is the Mustang the official car of Hawaii?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm in New York city for several days and haven't seen a single mustang here. Regardless of generation.
I was in mid-town Manhattan first week of Feb and saw a few Ecoboosts. No 5.0s and no V6s and the rentals near my hotel now use the EcoBoost convertibles almost exclusively.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I had a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang when I was in Oahu back in November. They're everywhere. Honestly, I rather enjoyed the car, and it was fun to spool up the turbo on Kamehameha Highway coming back from the North Shore.

I got like 29 MPG, too! My GT would have been very, very low teens, at best.

JR

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I would love to rent out a Mustang in Hawaii (or Miami) only because those are the only places I’d drive a convertible, it just seems perfect to cruise near the coast on a hot day with the top down.
Damn…that thought is making me hate this cold Norcal weather, can’t wait for summer.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I would love to rent out a Mustang in Hawaii (or Miami) only because those are the only places I’d drive a convertible, it just seems perfect to cruise near the coast on a hot day with the top down.
Damn…that thought is making me hate this cold Norcal weather, can’t wait for summer.
Well, having done that (convertible in Hawaii) I concluded I wouldn't buy a convertible.

I got such bad sunburns... It was very nice to drive with top down on warm evenings and even slight warm rain.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Well, having done that (convertible in Hawaii) I concluded I wouldn't buy a convertible.

I got such bad sunburns... It was very nice to drive with top down on warm evenings and even slight warm rain.
That's no lie. Let's just say my bald spot is not going away. 2 years ago rented a BMW 650li I think? Was a convertible and in L.A., Palm Springs area and still was very hot. Not to mention the road noise

Got another vert for Hawaii for obvious reasons and same issue with noise. No way I could handle that daily

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55

Man, we wish. Been raining nonstop since the day we got here!

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I am the only one, but on Maui, not sure which rental outfits, but they happened to have hordes of Chrysler 300C roaming Maui..... I could not fathom why even the 300C rentals with panorama roofs are nice... but not very good for the Road to Hana with those twisty narrow one lane bridges, and most Maui roads hug cliffs, beaches, and hillsides. Some roads are unpaved and an SUV or Jeep is more ideal. When I did Road to Hana recently, I had a Cherokee, but counted more 300C over camaro/mustang trying to traverse the hillsides

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Noticed that too - just got back from Waikiki. Great holiday. Udon Japanese restaurant in Waikiki best Ive ever been to! Nearly bought a Tesla X while I was there - awesome car.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Noticed that too - just got back from Waikiki. Great holiday. Udon Japanese restaurant in Waikiki best Ive ever been to! Nearly bought a Tesla X while I was there - awesome car.
Assume you're talking about Marukame Udon on Kuhio?

I saw the line at that place every night, and wanted to try it, but the wait wasn't worth it. They open at like 7 AM, and on my last day, I walked right in at breakfast time to have some udon. It was amazing!

Chiba-Ken is a really good sushi place over near the Hilton Hawaiian Village that I'd recommend!

I also walked into the Tesla store a little...drunk...one night.

JR

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Since I've only been to Hawaii once and that was 2006. Do you guys happen to know the best place to just have a relaxing coastal drive with little traffic, lots of open road, lots of sun and water...and will be listening to that Hawaiian reggae..we may go this summer and I kinda want to do that because it just seems fun. I will most likely rent out a vert too and sacrifice the sunburn for it.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Since I've only been to Hawaii once and that was 2006. Do you guys happen to know the best place to just have a relaxing coastal drive with little traffic, lots of open road, lots of sun and water...and will be listening to that Hawaiian reggae lol...we may go this summer and I kinda want to do that because it seems fun haha. I will most likely rent out a vert too and sacrifice the sunburn for it.
Sounds like something pretty much every tourist who visits Hawaii wants to do, so I'm guessing there won't be many roads like that.

iTutn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro R / 2016 GT Premium PP
Oh it is absolutely rentals, but there are a few 5.0’s here and there. Totally useless, I think I hit 45 once.
Locally (Cayman Islands) the top speed is 50 mph the biggest island is 72 sq mi (I believe) and they're a lot of mustangs here of all generations. Notable mustangs include 2 Terminators, 3 GT500s, a S281 Saleen. The only reason a GT350 isn't here is because Ford wouldn't warranty it. :)

Some people just like having the power.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Hawaii rental made me buy a Mustang.

Fourth generation Mustang - I sat in at carshow and IMO, built quality felt so poor... I wouldn't even want to testdrive that Mustang.

Fifth generation Mustang I rented at Hawaii 'cause I wanted to have some convertible experience. And my thought on that generation was - hm... not bad. It wasn't as well built as my BMW, but very reasonably well.

But it was 6th gen V6 rental that made me say - outstanding, sell BMW, buy Mustang.
And all those Chevy guys say that selling to rental agencies is a total waste. It is an extended test drive.
Sponsored