Sponsored

Is anyone using E85 fuel?

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I think the difficult part of using e85 at the track is finding a pump close by. I've had some friends use it in the past and they have to bring at least a couple drums of e85 with them to the track to last the weekend, which then you have to get into "transportation of large amounts of fuel" rules/laws(also assuming you are trailering to the track).

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Could always use the Lund FlexFuel tune. I would only get 47 lb injectors for E85 if the manifold wasn't stock.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
E85 flexfuel with 47lbs/hr injectors, GT350 manifold, 120mm MAF and LTHs here. 500rwhp.

you *will* run into issues feeding the beast above 8k RPMs (if you run it that high, i do) and fuel starve on the stock pump - it can't keep up with the demands of E85 for any sustained period of time at high RPMs, especially on left-handers - ask me how i know! you can do a BAP or return fuel system with an upgraded pump to avoid issues. i chose the former. love that i can bump up the power with E85 on demand when i need to, and run pump gas the rest of the time without having to fool with anything. definitely recommend. you've got shawn @ AED local to you, might be worthwhile getting your car on his dyno and having him make you a flexfuel tune.

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
E85 flexfuel with 47lbs/hr injectors, GT350 manifold, 120mm MAF and LTHs here. 500rwhp.

you *will* run into issues feeding the beast above 8k RPMs (if you run it that high, i do) and fuel starve on the stock pump - it can't keep up with the demands of E85 for any sustained period of time at high RPMs, especially on left-handers - ask me how i know! you can do a BAP or return fuel system with an upgraded pump to avoid issues. i chose the former. love that i can bump up the power with E85 on demand when i need to, and run pump gas the rest of the time without having to fool with anything. definitely recommend. you've got shawn @ AED local to you, might be worthwhile getting your car on his dyno and having him make you a flexfuel tune.
Much thanks boardkat. So I need the above linked injectors as well as an additional system? Can you please elaborate on that, I had been led to believe all I need is Injectors installed and I was thinking (initially at least) to just ask BAMA tunes for life to cook me up a couple E85 tunes.

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Much thanks boardkat. So I need the above linked injectors as well as an additional system? Can you please elaborate on that, I had been led to believe all I need is Injectors installed and I was thinking (initially at least) to just ask BAMA tunes for life to cook me up a couple E85 tunes.
if you plan on bumping your rev limiter over 8k *and* spending time up there other than a quick shift, you'll need to bump your stock fuel pump voltage (by way of a BAP) or by replacing your fuel pump with something that can keep up (e.g., some variety of walbro pump), or tolerate fuel starvation at often inconvenient times. but if you go with the latter, you'll probably want to do a return fuel system with an external filter, since there is nothing that can replace the functionality of the stock pump (as yet) that i'm aware of.

looking at your build and intentions though, i bet you'd be fine with just doing an E85 tune and injectors (if you intend to replace the IM - otherwise, i bet just a tune will be fine for a limiter in the 7500-7800ish range).

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
if you plan on bumping your rev limiter over 8k *and* spending time up there other than a quick shift, you'll need to bump your stock fuel pump voltage (by way of a BAP) or by replacing your fuel pump with something that can keep up (e.g., some variety of walbro pump), or tolerate fuel starvation at often inconvenient times. but if you go with the latter, you'll probably want to do a return fuel system with an external filter, since there is nothing that can replace the functionality of the stock pump (as yet) that i'm aware of.

looking at your build and intentions though, i bet you'd be fine with just doing an E85 tune and injectors (if you intend to replace the IM - otherwise, i bet just a tune will be fine for a limiter in the 7500-7800ish range).
Dude, I think you might have just become one of my heroes!*

EDIT: *(Along with Brent)

Thanks!!

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
(if you intend to replace the IM - otherwise, i bet just a tune will be fine for a limiter in the 7500-7800ish range).
On second thought I need to understand this bit better - you are saying that I need to change the intake manifold - I havent seen a bolt-on mod for intake manifold yet..? Will the GT350 intake bolt on? I assume this assumes the 87 mm GT350 throttle body?

Sorry - Im really a noob about the technical side.

Thank you!

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow

Wow, that is some serious power being N/A! Who did your tuning? I also looking forward to installing the gt350 I'm!:clap2:

Sponsored
OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Could always use the Lund FlexFuel tune. I would only get 47 lb injectors for E85 if the manifold wasn't stock.
Thanks daltron - can you describe the ideal manifold, if easily done?

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Do you happen to have your 500rwhp dynosheet? I have some GM guys who would be on suicide watch if they saw 500rwhp without cams on a 5.0 ;) :ninja:

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Do you happen to have your 500rwhp dynosheet? I have some GM guys who would be on suicide watch if they saw 500rwhp without cams on a 5.0 ;) :ninja:
:lol:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks daltron - can you describe the ideal manifold, if easily done?
It all depends on your budget, goals, etc. One might have a little more top end, one better for down low, etc. The contenders are the GT350, Boss, and Cobra Jet intake manifold. And any aftermarket ones if they ever come out.
Sponsored