Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looking at a new left over 18 gt350 for 57grand. I have never owned a mustang and always hated them for the solid rear axel, bad brakes, heavy and low power. Im an ex pro road racer and driver coach and never drove a modified one at the track even, really only exotics and germans. I used to have a c6 z06 that I loved for a daily driver and would do occasional 10lap sprints when coaching at the track. It never overheated coolant or engine/diff/trans oil ever. Was going to gt a new 19 z06 manual but they still overheat with an intermediate driver, let alone someone who's going to be pushing it for its life....

So here comes the gt350, its got floating rotors and decent calipers, indy rear end, mechanical lsd, 530hp, but its pretty heavy at 3750. I think it COULD be the right car for me as a 5k mile yr daily driver between my home in Florida and house in country side of pa. I have heard of engine issues with these and some complains of oil temps by better than average drivers.

I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)

I dont want to do anything to this car just the basics reflash, tint, rbf600 lines pads and call it a day. Is this reasonable or do I need to get additional oil coolers and other things? I have also considered getting a GT performance pack for 43grand and putting 14k into it but I want a warranty, that's horrible for resale value as ill only have this car 1 yr max, plus im just completely and utterly burned out of working on and building race cars.

Im still not sure its the right car for me, I really loved my c6 z06 and for 5k more than this gt350 I can get a 2k mile c6 zr1..

Thanks gents.
If you have to turn to a forum post of opinions to see if it's the right car for you or not...it's clearly not.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Silly question, but just the tune offers 33whp, but the 570 package with custom tuning and the intake/thermostat offers 35whp.

33whp seems like a lot for an out of the box tune. Great power if true.

Was the before dyno done with 91octane?
Yes these cars do pick up a significant amount of power with just custom tuning alone and typically gain even more power with additional modifications as well. Some cars fair better than others obviously depending on mileage , condition, octane used, etc. All of our before and after dyno results are obtained using 93 octane for both of these examples. The 33 whp and 35 whp comparisons are only measuring gains at the peak also. The cold air and thermostat additions typically will also help to improve power in other areas under the peak as well.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
believe you will enjoy the 350 The vette has the weight advantage over the 350. Another option is the ZL1 1LE if you wanted to stick with GM option. (since you were considering the z06, you are not tied to naturally aspirated engine)

OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
The big hold up right now since I cant see any in person are the Recaros vs the heated & cooled seats. I loved the cooled seats in my raptor and they saved my ass (pun intended) just about every hot day in Florida as I always drive around windows down and no ac unless its 90+* and even then same way unless I'm dressed up for something. I do want the Recaros tho for the track and "sense of occasion" legitimate good seats add to a car. Im 6ft 1 170lbs so most sports seats work great for me.

Another question is I like to sit as low as possible in every car so does anyone make a seat lowering bracket? I briefly bought an 05 gto a while back and sold it the day after it delivered. felt like I was riding in a truck w the seat up so high.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
No one makes a seat lowering bracket for the Recaro's. Heated/cooled seats are nice but you'll be sliding all over them on track. I'd get the cheapest option you can find and then slap in a set of aftermarket seats onto custom brackets.

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The big hold up right now since I cant see any in person are the Recaros vs the heated & cooled seats. I loved the cooled seats in my raptor and they saved my ass (pun intended) just about every hot day in Florida as I always drive around windows down and no ac unless its 90+* and even then same way unless I'm dressed up for something. I do want the Recaros tho for the track and "sense of occasion" legitimate good seats add to a car. Im 6ft 1 170lbs so most sports seats work great for me.

Another question is I like to sit as low as possible in every car so does anyone make a seat lowering bracket? I briefly bought an 05 gto a while back and sold it the day after it delivered. felt like I was riding in a truck w the seat up so high.
I have a2017 Raptor also. The seats in it are far cooler, but the a/c blast more in the gt350.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
OP - I'm in Florida. GT350 is the first car I have owned with cooled seats. It is also the first car I have owned where I did not sweat through the back of my shirt.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The R is better yes, but lets get off the snobby comments about the Regular 350. Get over yourselves

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The R is better yes, but lets get off the snobby comments about the Regular 350. Get over yourselves
I agree. It is about the driving experience. The R is no longer the fastest muscle/sports car. I compare it to those who buy the lightest a best bicycle for competitive racing and never race. I think the GT350 is the best mustang ever based on my love of the sound, looks, and handling. Plus the base offers more comfort. So it all depends on what you value. For some it will be the R, for others it will be the latest and greatest money can buy.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I agree. It is about the driving experience. The R is no longer the fastest muscle/sports car. I compare it to those who buy the lightest a best bicycle for competitive racing and never race. I think the GT350 is the best mustang ever based on my love of the sound, looks, and handling. Plus the base offers more comfort. So it all depends on what you value. For some it will be the R, for others it will be the latest and greatest money can buy.
My 19R is actually more comfortable then my 16 bas car was. Both are awesome. That being said, I think the OP needs to go and buy the vette

OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
Finally got to sit in a 19 with the cooled seats.They deffintaely are more grippy and bolstered than my z06 was so ill be happy with them ill take the weight penalty regardless but im curious how much more they weight than the Recaro interior? 50lbs? 80lbs total?

Will either the 18 or 19 spoiler bolt right off the trunk and the R version go on? What happens to the center bolt holes?

The interior quality was much nicer than I expected it to be. I could be very happy with it. Was unable to drive it since I still cant use my right arm at all after surgery just 2 weeks ago.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
The R spoiler is $16k just fyi, obviously more than the price gap from a 350 to an R in the first place. No idea about bolts

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at a new left over 18 gt350 for 57grand. I have never owned a mustang and always hated them for the solid rear axel, bad brakes, heavy and low power. Im an ex pro road racer and driver coach and never drove a modified one at the track even, really only exotics and germans. I used to have a c6 z06 that I loved for a daily driver and would do occasional 10lap sprints when coaching at the track. It never overheated coolant or engine/diff/trans oil ever. Was going to gt a new 19 z06 manual but they still overheat with an intermediate driver, let alone someone who's going to be pushing it for its life....

So here comes the gt350, its got floating rotors and decent calipers, indy rear end, mechanical lsd, 530hp, but its pretty heavy at 3750. I think it COULD be the right car for me as a 5k mile yr daily driver between my home in Florida and house in country side of pa. I have heard of engine issues with these and some complains of oil temps by better than average drivers.

I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)

I dont want to do anything to this car just the basics reflash, tint, rbf600 lines pads and call it a day. Is this reasonable or do I need to get additional oil coolers and other things? I have also considered getting a GT performance pack for 43grand and putting 14k into it but I want a warranty, that's horrible for resale value as ill only have this car 1 yr max, plus im just completely and utterly burned out of working on and building race cars.

Im still not sure its the right car for me, I really loved my c6 z06 and for 5k more than this gt350 I can get a 2k mile c6 zr1..

Thanks gents.
In my opinion, yes it is! I have a 15 gt pp with plenty of mods added incrementally over the last 4+ years and if I were to buy a new or slightly used car right now it would be a 17-19 GT 350. I decided just to stick with my current car for now only because I already have it and truly still love the car and upgrading something on it every year or so. Have you considered the GT 500? I was interested in the GT 500 until the announcement of the DCT but I do think when it comes down to all out performance that it is the car to buy if you don't have to have a manual. With all that said I do believe you can mod a gt cheaper for straight line performance but when it comes down to spirited driving on the streets and track times your definitely better off just buying a GT 350 over a gt. Enjoy your future ride, either way Ford is making some pretty incredible cars right now!

Last edited:

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Finally got to sit in a 19 with the cooled seats.They deffintaely are more grippy and bolstered than my z06 was so ill be happy with them ill take the weight penalty regardless but im curious how much more they weight than the Recaro interior? 50lbs? 80lbs total?

Will either the 18 or 19 spoiler bolt right off the trunk and the R version go on? What happens to the center bolt holes?

The interior quality was much nicer than I expected it to be. I could be very happy with it. Was unable to drive it since I still cant use my right arm at all after surgery just 2 weeks ago.
The seats are grippy, but 0 bolstering.

R-wing doesn't just bolt on. Center holes would stay exposed. Most people buy aftermarket facsimiles which haven't been aero tested to do anything at all and install them on replacement wingless trunk lids.
Sponsored