Sponsored

Is a GT350 right for me?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)...
Here's how to think about this:

First, forget everything that's been written about other Mustangs. The GT350 isn't that. It's shockingly capable out of the box. It sheds heat extremely well and you can run the engine oil at 250+ all day long and all that happens is the oil life monitor counts down faster. Even more important, the ABS and nannies are good at keeping out of the way. As for tuning the engine, just drive it, don't bother tuning it. An 18 will have a powertrain warranty to 2023, so don't mess with it.

As for the brakes, well if you drive like an endurance racer, you can run the brakes stock with fresh fluid and you'll be fine. If you drive like a sprint racer, you'll need race pads and high-temp fluid and maybe titanium shims.

The mods that are definitely worth doing are the MGW shifter and camber plates.
Sponsored

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
OP,

I think you can do a little better than $57k on a left over 18 GT350. There are deals out there for 19's as well. As for which year is better? The 18's are just fine. Upgraded ring and piston packs. I've not seen or heard of any problems. The 19's are a little more suspect in my opinion from where there have been issues from the factory. Whether it's been shifters, steering wheels, sit time in the elements, etc. I recently posted about a 19 GT350R that came to a local dealership unfinished. It literally had no CF wing and no back seat panel. I dunno what happened between MY 18 and MY 19 production but I feel 19's just didn't get the same efficiency on the assembly line as the 18's. From my point of view, the only attractive thing about the 19's is the B&O sound system and new colors.

As far as the C6 Z06, they've had their head valve issues. Great low end TQ that's typical for GM. You're not going to get that low end TQ feel with the 350. The GT350 is best at 4k rpm and above. If I'm looking at regular 19 GT350 for the low to mid $60K area then I'm probably also looking for a leftover 18 GT350R.
I agree that you should be able to get in the low 50’s for an 18 at this time. I had a dealer try to sell me a 18 a year ago for just over invoice. I passed because of all the issues with the previous years. But with the refresh I hope they have been fixed. The delay in the 19’s were caused for various reasons I can go into here (my wife’s mom, father, brother all work for Ford) but I can say the 2019 is the best year for a base gt350.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Most comments have been focusing on the track aspect rather than the DD or even semi DD. As a DD I think its surprisingly livable. All the normal compromises of a sports car apply, but you are familiar with those. It scrapes easily on driveways, but no worse than a 'vette and a new splitter is $300, so replace it every few years if you like..

OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
My daily drivers for past 6yrs have been two Maserati granturismo S's. 2nd one was lowered 1.5inches and didnt scrape anywhere reasonable. Also has the longest nose over front axel ive seen on a car. These are about the best DD on the planet. Smooth, sound, style, reliability is top notch great mpg, could have another 100hp but surely is quick enough. The mustang would be more fun up here in PA than at my place in Florida where im at during the winter due to the ride height increase and twisty back roads. The z06 would be a lot better in Florida w the T top and style.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Not going to spend 75k on a mustang. mid 50s for a new one is more than pushing it. its 20grand more than a performance pk to begin with, could have 2x GT pp's for the price of an R.
It may hold its value significantly better though. More upfront, but less actual loss to your net worth. Plus them carbon bits.

Otherwise get your point.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not going to spend 75k on a mustang. mid 50s for a new one is more than pushing it. its 20grand more than a performance pk to begin with, could have 2x GT pp's for the price of an R.
I disagree with you. If you have the money for all the expensive cars you are talking about, you should get the R. Just watch a few reviews by professional car guys and you will know that the R is special. Yes the regular GT350 is an awesome car, but the R is way better. You should experience what carbon fiber rims are like.

If you don't want to spend the money on a "Mustang" for some theoretical reason, buy an effin' used R then.

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree with you. If you have the money for all the expensive cars you are talking about, you should get the R. Just watch a few reviews by professional car guys and you will know that the R is special. Yes the regular GT350 is an awesome car, but the R is way better. You should experience what carbon fiber rims are like.

If you don't want to spend the money on a "Mustang" for some theoretical reason, buy an effin' used R then.
Here is a used GT350R with only 5K miles for mid 50's: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST&clickType=listing

OP
OP
GCBC

GCBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT-350R & V12 Vanquish
What am I getting w an R over the regular? just different rate springs, sway bars and wheels? and a little different in exterior trim?
Id Buch rather put Ă–hlins and some other wheels on it

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What am I getting w an R over the regular? just different rate springs, sway bars and wheels? and a little different in exterior trim?
Yeah, I would have gotten an R (the prices are so low now) but I don't like the aesthetics of the wing or the wheels, which is most of the cost difference. With the new 2019 GT350 base model, they have closed the gap between the two, so if you are not a serious track car enthusiast, there is no reason to get the R. I got out of the Z06 because it was just to low to the ground. I had to slide into the car and I felt that every car was looking down on me. So unless I was driving fast, I felt I was going to get run over. So I then bought a Z/28 that fixed that issue. It had the ride height and the power. After four years, I sold my 2015 Z/28 because my wife wanted to give it away. Driving in it for her was making her car sick with the noise, vibration of the road, and last but not least the kick in the ass torque. I loved that car, but since I was no longer going to track it, it just didn't make sense anymore. As for the GT350, the car is a blast to drive just because of the engine sounds and handling. I also think it is the best looking mustang ever built - however, the new GT500 is very nice, unfortunately it doesn't come in a manual or I would have gotten it. So in the end it is about how the car makes you feel in the driving experience. For me it is personal so I don't like flashy cars that draw attention. So both my Z06 and Z/28 were straight black cars and my 2019 GT350 is grey.
Z06CCWWheels01b.jpg
2015z28Camaro008.jpg
new tint.jpg

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Ya and some exclusivity. Oh and just another level of handling is all. Has the regular 19 GT350 closed the gap on the R? Sure. As well as they could without the weight reduction and extra down force. As for the R being "only" for serious track drivers...I drive mine to work half the week. I put needless miles with lots of smiles on it anytime I feel like it. But hey, I don't feel like I need to talk anybody into any good deal on R's out there... If they know what an R is anyway. So maybe Ford has made around 2500 R's since 2015 is all. But if you like your butt warmer and butt chiller and foo foo comforts, then best to stick with the regular 350 or a Bullitt. R's are little more hardcore...

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
More downforce from splitter and carbon wing as well. Exhaust resonator delete. Sway bars, carbon wheels, larger cup 2 tires (vs earlier base 350 than 19my), exclusivity which translates to better value holding. Better track suspension setup.

It is more money, but you want a track car and have had as expensive cars and looking at more expensive cars.

I didn’t like the carbon wheels look at first either, but it just looks right now to me, so good I have a second set For track day swaps now :)
741ABFDB-14B7-4BFD-9C8E-598B645BF134.png
B716B995-106E-4215-95D5-8D37CD483A66.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I believe that forum members have established that the engines are different as well between the R and the regular GT350.

I will repeat myself: according to automotive reviewers that made the R car of the year, the R is much better than the regular GT350. But hey if you want to settle for the poverty special - it's your dime. I personally can't afford an R and that's the reason I didn't buy one. If I could afford it I would have one.

I do agree with others that the R will probably hold its value better. If you buy a used R, that would probably be the best value you could get. Much better than buying a brand new GT350.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The R is the better car, I don't know if it's 10K better or more as much of the performance improving mods can be replicated or even bettered from the aftermarket for cheaper than factory. Spring rates and swaybar rates are not that far off. The real advantage is carbon fiber wheels, cup 2 tires, and some extra aero.

You do have to give up the rear seat to get that, which to me was a deal breaker after Ford stopped selling their kit to let you put back seats in the car since I have a 6 year old who likes to ride in the car with me.

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ya and some exclusivity. Oh and just another level of handling is all. Has the regular 19 GT350 closed the gap on the R? Sure. As well as they could without the weight reduction and extra down force. As for the R being "only" for serious track drivers...I drive mine to work half the week. I put needless miles with lots of smiles on it anytime I feel like it. But hey, I don't feel like I need to talk anybody into any good deal on R's out there... If they know what an R is anyway. So maybe Ford has made around 2500 R's since 2015 is all. But if you like your butt warmer and butt chiller and foo foo comforts, then best to stick with the regular 350 or a Bullitt. R's are little more hardcore...
They said the same thing about the Z/28 ONLY being for the track. LOL I drove my Z/28 (under 1800 made) 80 miles to and from work, on some not so good roads that would bounce me around. Basically you can daily anything if you want too bad enough.

I would also agree the GT350R is a better track car than a GT350 based solely on common sense. So with no disrespect intended, unless the OP is an idiot, they would buy a GT350R and not have asked their original question, if that was the only intend purpose for the car.
My point is that the OP wanted to know if can he drive the GT350 for 20 minutes of spirited driving (I guess he is an instructor) and also wants to daily it and cost is a factor!!! So which car is best at both with those conditions and worth the cost (ROI)? The GT350 is good enough for the track requirements that the OP is asking for and is a better daily (based on reviews I've read).

But if your point is which is a better investment? None of these cars that are really driven are going to be worth anything in the future (beside this is not one of the OP requirements). Gas powered cars are doomed because they will not keep up with future innovations. Only the best of the best of each category will be worth anything to those few who have them in 20 -50 years. In 50 years, a GT350R will be like one of Jay Leno's steam cars that only few will own or admire. That because kids these days don't care about them. Heck, GM is looking at discontinuing the Camaro and Ford is looking at making the Mustang into a four door electric. Muscle cars only have a small part of the market today and in the future they will have even less. These cars are meant to be driven and therefore you should buy what you are going to use. Not what you think is an investment. Will the GT350R hold its value longer? Maybe, but it will cost more. Take the difference of the two and invest it wisely and I bet you will do better financially with a GT350 versus a GT350R.

I apologize if I sound a little upset. My reasoning is simple. Stupid people buy these cars as investment at ADM and run up the cost for everyone else. Yes you can get them years later in great hardly used condition for a fraction of the price, but then the base new models are as good or better. Yes we can argue if this is a dealer issue or a buyer issue, but the bottom line is it hurts the community. So buy it and drive it like you stole it. Then go buy another. But if they are all over priced that is hard to do and it will hurt us all in the end if stupid people are buying these as investments!

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
I believe that forum members have established that the engines are different as well between the R and the regular GT350.
Very minor valve train differences up to MY 2019. Now both share the same engine.
Sponsored