Is a DSP necessary with new speakers

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
I am planning to install a new set of speakers, likely some mid- high end focals.
I have the 9 speaker setup currently and i have disabled the center channel speaker. For those of you who have upgraded the speakers, did you use a DSP? If not, does the ford EQ serve the speakers well? If you did, which did you use?

I have an LC7i I am planning to use for my line out converter. If i need a DSP Id rather just get one now and use it instead of the LC7I ( I can return it for a few more days. )
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
With mid to high end Focals? Yes. And get a good 4-6 channel amp as well (depends if your Focals are 2- or 3-way).

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
With mid to high end Focals? Yes. And get a good 4-6 channel amp as well (depends if your Focals are 2- or 3-way).
At the moment I am planning to use the supplied crossover with the focals. I might change that up later on, but im not ready for the hassle and expense of running an active setup (yet). I know its not the optimal way to run the speakers. I do plan to run them that way later on. I am mainly trying to get something that sounds good for the moment. I dont want to buy lower end speakers only to replace them later on.

I have a decent 2 channel amp to drive the front speakers 90 watts RMS x2 class AB.

I was thinking of this for my DSP https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/Sound+Processors/DEQ-S1000A#manuals since it can auto remove the factory EQ.

Something like These: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS3/Focal-Performance-165AS3.html?tp=106

or these:https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210TU602/Morel-Tempo-Ultra-602.html?tp=106

for speakers

I cant figure out if its worth dropping a tier to get three ways or going up a tier for 2 ways.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ask idatalink if their DSR1 will fit. Better integration device in this price range imho. That amp should be sufficient for now. Focal or Morel are different speakers tonality wise. Focal are more in your face, Morels are more laid back. Your choice depends on what you prefer. But with the DSP you can EQ both to your liking, although not as good as if going fully active of course.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Morels are more laid back. But with the DSP you can EQ both to your liking, although not as good as if going fully active of course.
I am a huge fan of the Morel/Dynaudio sound. I have a mix of the two in my car and it’s lovely. No ear fatigue even after a long drive.

Your last sentence is a little confusing. If I interpreted it correctly, you’re saying a dsp can help eq things if you are only running a two channel amp up front and you get full active control once you have an individual amp channel per driver and don’t use external crossovers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
I am a huge fan of the Morel/Dynaudio sound. I have a mix of the two in my car and it’s lovely. No ear fatigue even after a long drive.

Your last sentence is a little confusing. If I interpreted it correctly, you’re saying a dsp can help eq things if you are only running a two channel amp up front and you get full active control once you have an individual amp channel per driver and don’t use external crossovers.

Would you choose the 3 way maximos, or the 2 way temp ultras?
I have had a few Focal builds and i do agree it can be an agressive sound you really have to tune. Id love something more laid back.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I used the mids and tweets from the Elate TI set and some Esotar e650’s for midbass. I’ve never heard the sets you mentioned, but also have never read a bad review of them.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Yes, you can EQ each channel left+right within a DSP even if you're using the passive crossovers. You just don't set up any crossovers in the DSP.
You're then limited to time alignment left+right (not channel independant time alingment for tweeters, midbass and left+right) and left+right equalization. You can also do level control for left and right channel (but not level each speaker, i.e. tweeters, midbass left+right individually).
But you can add another amp later on and do all these in the DSP then.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Would you choose the 3 way maximos, or the 2 way temp ultras?
I have had a few Focal builds and i do agree it can be an agressive sound you really have to tune. Id love something more laid back.
If you like more laid back get the Morels. Two or threeway depends on how low you can cross the tweeters (or are passively crossed over). If they are crossed over too high (either passive or active, doesn't matter) the midbass starts beaming, i.e. looses a lot of energy when listened to off-axis and you do listen to the midbass off-axis severely at least on the drivers side. This will lead to a lot less volume when you approach the crossover point in a two way set when crossed too high.

With a 3-way set you avoid that, but when both the 3-way set and 2-way set are equally expensive the 2-way set might be of higher quality regarding the drivers and the crossover. And if going fully active later you can always add a midrange driver. It's a trade off.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I have the Focal AS3s and based on my experience trying to get them sound right, short answer: get a Helix DSP, expensive but totally worth it !!! DSR1 was fine too but it wasn't powerful enough to drive the speakers at full power. And don't forget to get a proper powerful amp !

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
A Morel Ultra Tempo Mod I did. Replace the rear deck
d76vbyf3jba1BG78n3x-ad-U4ObGSXtTmSnvnkb0W5Ap5Psr3x6n0aFKPiEMCnOO4o5Ue2cSQZ1vtIu3U=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
UBAelz6SYJrbseKwMGcqDx61bD2prfnTbA5C9ZM8gPm-sfwhnIJAcieVDAHjjTJKmqw6cKwG_Xzm-Zkbo=w1873-h1064-no.jpg
CigiYprXSpsHKqeB8YIKZ_qoyxT8jS7mL0xvWk_Xw_iLT4cLfOpFPzo1JdbVN22uzq6zKGzk38ywX7y6w=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
speakers and add an LC2i and a Zapco 2 channel amp. The music is much more better balanced and the bass is excellent especially with the upgraded sub.
Sponsored