iPhone connection reliability

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Does anyone have tips on connecting an iPhone via USB?

If I remember to plug in the iPhone before starting the car, it’s usually fine and picks up my Apps.

However, if I connect it once the car is running the Sync system doesn’t detect it. The Mobile Apps setting then seems to be turned off, but even after turning it on, it doesn’t detect the phone.

Basically, I find it to be unreliable and sometimes spend minutes faffing about to get it to connect before starting a journey!

Cheers
David
Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Oh it’s a nightmare. From my own experience, I’ve found that the connection is very sensitive to fluff in the iPhone lightning port. I have no idea why this should be the case, but connections that work fine with other devices drop out with this. So I’d suggest toothpick and a Hoover every few months when it happens.

With mine I have to start the car first and then plug in or it doesn’t recognise it! Bluetooth is always fine though.

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
I’ll check out the fluff tip. That may be why it drops out.
It’s very strange that you have to connect your phone after the car starts, but with me it’s the exact opposite. I’ve been planning to do a Sync upgrade to see if that makes a difference,

Cheers
David

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
Does anyone have tips on connecting an iPhone via USB?

If I remember to plug in the iPhone before starting the car, it’s usually fine and picks up my Apps.

However, if I connect it once the car is running the Sync system doesn’t detect it. The Mobile Apps setting then seems to be turned off, but even after turning it on, it doesn’t detect the phone.

Basically, I find it to be unreliable and sometimes spend minutes faffing about to get it to connect before starting a journey!

Cheers
David
Hi - Do you have Show on Connection Enabled under Apple CarPlay options ?

Benno

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Assuming you are using Sync3 and not Apple car play when connected if you are using the App Link function

Are you connected via Bluetooth as well as cable ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Assuming you are using Sync3 and not Apple car play when connected if you are using the App Link function

Are you connected via Bluetooth as well as cable ?
The phone is using Apple Car Play, the car is running sync 3. Bluetooth may be turned on as well. Maybe that’s the issue.

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
The phone is using Apple Car Play, the car is running sync 3. Bluetooth may be turned on as well. Maybe that’s the issue.
Hi,

I’m running CarPlay too and the phone connected via Bluetooth too.

Did you look at the setting on my other post?

Benno

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hi,

I’m running CarPlay too and the phone connected via Bluetooth too.

Did you look at the setting on my other post?

Benno
I don’t see that setting on my iPhone - Or is it in the car?

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hi,

It’s on the main Sync3 screen in car.

A8F32B48-219A-486E-A761-AF498692722E.jpeg

Benno
Yes that setting is turned on. Just updated the iPhone to 13.2.3 and it’s connecting successfully each time I try. It may be a coincidence, so I’ll keep trying for a few days to be sure I’ve got it cracked!
Cheers
David

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Cable. iPhone XS Max. I can use a cable for a month, then suddenly the cable will no longer work with my iphone but will work with my kid's iphone. Once my iphone decides to not work with a cable, it will hold firm for a week then suddenly work with that cable again. I keep a couple of cables in the car just in case. I will take said cable in the house, connect to powered USB and the phone still won't like the cable. Weirdest thing I experience with my car because the bad cable always starts in the Mustang, not with a wall wart or computer.....

DISCLAIMER: I do not recall having issue with Apple branded lightning cable. Only Amazon specials, I like to buy in different lengths....

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Maybe a stupid question but you have unlocked the iPhone when these connection issues are occurring ?

Quite often if I haven’t used / unlocked the screen on my iPhone and I plug it in it will not connect. As soon as I unlock my phone it connects straight away !

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Maybe a stupid question but you have unlocked the iPhone when these connection issues are occurring ?

Quite often if I haven’t used / unlocked the screen on my iPhone and I plug it in it will not connect. As soon as I unlock my phone it connects straight away !
Yes, always unlocked and often with a route already set on Google Maps.

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have found that it appears not to connect initially but if I wait a little it finds it.
I have had waze playing directions out twice, slightly out of sync (no pun intended), when the apple play suddenly kicked in

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
I have found that it appears not to connect initially but if I wait a little it finds it.
I have had waze playing directions out twice, slightly out of sync (no pun intended), when the apple play suddenly kicked in
The only fool proof way I’ve discovered is to have a Sync compatible App already running on the phone then plugged into the USB before firing up the car. Anything else seems to be hit and miss.
Sponsored