Sponsored

Interesting. Anyone see this new billet oil pump with billet OPG froFord Performance?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Pretty sure thats factory housing with TSS OPG.
You can just get some TSS OPG and swap them in.

There is also a new pump housing design with lower pumping parasitic loses if you are staying 6000-8500 rpm alot at the track.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6600-50

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I did not look at that one. Thanks

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
wow is this the upgraded oil pump gear everyone is conspiring Ford added to the 2018 cars?

Sponsored

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
wow is this the upgraded oil pump gear everyone is conspiring Ford added to the 2018 cars?
I wish Ford pro-actively improved the weak points in the Voodoo for 2018 (OPG & connecting rods), but I doubt it. The FP website identifies these OPG billet parts as items for the 2018 GT350, and even has an explanation about the stock gears being stock powdered metal.

M-6600-M52 | billet steel gerotor oil pump
Fits: 2015-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L

M-6600-M50A | BILLET STEEL GEROTOR OIL PUMP GEAR SET
Fits: 2015-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L oil pump

"The stock powdered metal oil pump gears work effectively in stock applications..."

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
From the website this is a low volume oil pump designed to reduce oil pressure and reduce load not what you want for a street application!

This low volume oil pump is designed for race applications. This pump reduces engine oil pressure, to decrease engine load. When used in competitive applications, a difference in oil pressure can promote engine efficiency, and can increase the overall performance of a vehicle.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the idea behind the low volume pump is not to lower the oil pressure, but to reduce the amount of oil going straight from the output of the pump back to the input through the pressure relief bypass valve.

The regular pump is designed to flow enough oil at idle to maintain idle oil pressure with hot, worn out, thinned out, oil. At high RPM it pumps too much oil for the engine's needs so a lot of the flow is bypassed back to the inlet to keep the oil pressure from getting too high.

The race pump doesn't spend much time at idle, so it can flow less. The race ECU can keep the idle speed up to maintain good idle oil pressure, but because of the reduced flow at high RPM, the amount of oil bypassing the pump is much less (oil pressure is still at the full level) so the amount of energy lost pushing oil through the bypass valve is reduced.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I think the idea behind the low volume pump is not to lower the oil pressure, but to reduce the amount of oil going straight from the output of the pump back to the input through the pressure relief bypass valve.

The regular pump is designed to flow enough oil at idle to maintain idle oil pressure with hot, worn out, thinned out, oil. At high RPM it pumps too much oil for the engine's needs so a lot of the flow is bypassed back to the inlet to keep the oil pressure from getting too high.

The race pump doesn't spend much time at idle, so it can flow less. The race ECU can keep the idle speed up to maintain good idle oil pressure, but because of the reduced flow at high RPM, the amount of oil bypassing the pump is much less (oil pressure is still at the full level) so the amount of energy lost pushing oil through the bypass valve is reduced.
Well then since we do not have a race ECU in our street/track vehicles this modification will probably do more harm than good. And any software changes made to the ECU will probably result in loss of warranty coverage.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well then since we do not have a race ECU in our street/track vehicles this modification will probably do more harm than good. And any software changes made to the ECU will probably result in loss of warranty coverage.
Changing the pump probably will affect the warranty if there's a lube related engine problem.

Aftermarket tuners can adjust a regular ECU to hold a higher idle RPM as well - you probably only need a small RPM increase to ensure that it meets the spec for idle oil pressure. From the service manual, oil pressure should be 10 to 15 PSI at idle and 30 to 40 PSI at 2000 RPM.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Changing the pump probably will affect the warranty if there's a lube related engine problem.

Aftermarket tuners can adjust a regular ECU to hold a higher idle RPM as well - you probably only need a small RPM increase to ensure that it meets the spec for idle oil pressure. From the service manual, oil pressure should be 10 to 15 PSI at idle and 30 to 40 PSI at 2000 RPM.
+1. I had an engine replaced on my R recently. I asked if they would put this OPG in. He said it would impact warranty claim if engine nuked again.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
+1. I had an engine replaced on my R recently. I asked if they would put this OPG in. He said it would impact warranty claim if engine nuked again.
Did you ask for the billet replacement version or the lower pressure pump? The former would absolutely not be a warranty issue.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Billet.
If a Ford dealer installed it, there would be no way for that to ever be a warranty revocation. It's a much more robust part and doesn't affect the durability of any other components in a negative way. That would be one to fight (with Ford and their CSO engineers, and you'd win).
Sponsored