Sponsored

Installing supercharger yourself, whos done it?

Tyeayo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
So I'm pretty technically inclined, have a pretty good set of tools, 3 car garage so plenty of space, as well as a daily I can drive so I won't be pressed for time. I would like to install a setup myself, with a tune from one of the reputable, moderate tune outfits.

My question is this:

How difficult is it really?
How clear are the instructions?
Which set up should I go with for the most moderate power numbers..600 or so hp thats still one of the easier DIY setups?

I have a 2018 gt 6sp, and like I said, I'm not looking for crazy hp numbers. I read i can run my stock injectors and I would like to keep as much stock as is safe

Any input would be much appreciated!
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Most any supercharger will get you 600+. Depends where you want the power.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I recently installed the vmp odin kit in my garage. Really wasnt that difficult, just time consuming. Requires patience and attention to detail. A second set of hands would help, lifting the blower to put it on the car by myself wasnt easy but i managed.

For almost any of the kits there will be instructions. Either from the company themself or written by a forum member. Shouldnt be too bad. I just watched the video over and over.

I heard procharger is even easier to install so there is that.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I think you’re all set. You have tools, space, daily driver and a board full smart guys here to help you out if you’re stuck.

I did mine in my garage by myself. Had my wife help me with lifting the front bumper off and my teenage son lift the blower onto the car.

just take your time. Make sure you inventory everything when you get the kit. I went a little further and put everything in its own labeled container and set them all up on a table in the other car spot in the garage. I’m a little anal for procedure lol. I also didn’t go exactly according to the steps in the instructions but when I was able I went by time. Certain things are quicker and could be done in the time I had. I didn’t want to leave a bigger step in the middle.

you’ll be fine! It was fun to do actually. I hadn’t done anything this in depth for many years. It was a little scary to start tearing apart a perfectly good new car though. The look on my wife’s face when I asked her for a hand to lift off the front bumper was priceless.
Good luck!

OP
OP

Tyeayo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I think you’re all set. You have tools, space, daily driver and a board full smart guys here to help you out if you’re stuck.

I did mine in my garage by myself. Had my wife help me with lifting the front bumper off and my teenage son lift the blower onto the car.

just take your time. Make sure you inventory everything when you get the kit. I went a little further and put everything in its own labeled container and set them all up on a table in the other car spot in the garage. I’m a little anal for procedure lol. I also didn’t go exactly according to the steps in the instructions but when I was able I went by time. Certain things are quicker and could be done in the time I had. I didn’t want to leave a bigger step in the middle.

you’ll be fine! It was fun to do actually. I hadn’t done anything this in depth for many years. It was a little scary to start tearing apart a perfectly good new car though. The look on my wife’s face when I asked her for a hand to lift off the front bumper was priceless.
Good luck!
Thats the big hang up for me...I haven't even done a tune for fear of warranty issues! This will, for me, be the biggest dig into an engine I've ever done... I'm just leery of screwing something up and being caught swinging in the wind!

I'm thinking a paxton will be the way I'll go, from what I've read, it seems to be the simplest and most straightforward of installs, and like I said, I'm not looking to put down big numbers and I don't run it at the track at all.....just, I guess, getting bored with the power if I'm being honest.....needs a little more juice!

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I hear you. Once you start turning the wrench though, you’ll be just fine. The easiest install is the Procharger. And in my opinion between the centris, (Paxton / Vortech and Procharger) it is the most durable. A few more bucks but I think worth it.
Really depends on HOW you want the power. Centi or positive displacement. Daily driver and minimal track outings versus lots of track etc. those are your decisions. ANY blower will make you smile and ALL will make 600 wheel easily without breaking a sweat.

there’s some great vendors on the board as well that you can actually call and talk to. As far as tunes, Lund and PBD are both top notch.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
If this car isn't your daily driver, you can definitely do it! Take your time, learn about your car, and save a lot of money! I've done Hellion Street Sleeper, Fore triple pump setup, 2018 intake manifold, driveshaft, halfshafts, etc.... You can do it!

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
I would put a Centri install in the easy category compared to a PD blower.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So I'm pretty technically inclined, have a pretty good set of tools, 3 car garage so plenty of space, as well as a daily I can drive so I won't be pressed for time. I would like to install a setup myself, with a tune from one of the reputable, moderate tune outfits.

My question is this:

How difficult is it really?
How clear are the instructions?
Which set up should I go with for the most moderate power numbers..600 or so hp thats still one of the easier DIY setups?

I have a 2018 gt 6sp, and like I said, I'm not looking for crazy hp numbers. I read i can run my stock injectors and I would like to keep as much stock as is safe

Any input would be much appreciated!
Procharger’s instructions are spot on and easy to understand and follow. A centrifugal supercharger kit is a lot less intimidating for someone doing this for the first time. It’s just bolting parts on and not removing parts like the intake manifold which bothers so people. Centrifugal or positive displacement they are not rocket science. If you can read introduction and follow them it is very straight forward. Iike with procharger most people start installing the kit then look at the instructions when they have a problem. only to find out that the first thing they needed to do involves part of the tuning and for a good reason. So follow the instructions and you will be fine

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Having installed the Whipple myself and based on what you described, I'd opt for a Procharger, but you shouldn't let the Whipple install scare you. But my guess is the Procharger install will leave the most stock as the Whipple requires you to modify the factory heater hoses so if you wanted to go back to stock, you'd be looking for new lines.

Just my $.03 cents

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
I’ve personally installed 3 whipples in my garage and about to install my 4th.

Do it yourself and if your ever planing on doing oil pump gears do then at the same time.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Never installed a S/C nor do I plan on 1 with the Bullitt but I've worked on my cars plenty over the years and oddly enough what slows me down is how to take couplers and various connections off. You can spend a lot of time trying to figure it out &/or searching online.

If the instructions are clear on that, then fine, but more times than not it's "remove X" without telling you exactly HOW to remove X.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thats the big hang up for me...I haven't even done a tune for fear of warranty issues! This will, for me, be the biggest dig into an engine I've ever done... I'm just leery of screwing something up and being caught swinging in the wind!

I'm thinking a paxton will be the way I'll go, from what I've read, it seems to be the simplest and most straightforward of installs, and like I said, I'm not looking to put down big numbers and I don't run it at the track at all.....just, I guess, getting bored with the power if I'm being honest.....needs a little more juice!
Id look into procharger. I went with Paxton and I hated where the over flow tank got relocated. Right over the left bank of spark plugs. If you keep the car for any length of time. you’ll want to change the spark plugs more frequently On boost. You don’t need that stupid tank in your way. The post right above me by Mustang lou is funny. :giggle:But it’s f#&king true.:angry:

5CFA3E71-0F6A-4900-9FD0-AC992319B5DA.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: