Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Interesting guys, what a great thread. I spoke to QA1 and the guy told me that the Magnum/S550 swap is a custom shaft and they don't make "custom" shafts with the CV. he didn't mention Modern Driveline, so I pretty much gave up on getting the QA1 and had settled that I would just get the DSS. Are you guys saying that if I want a QA1 for the Magnum on my 2016, MDL offers it? If so, how much?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Dynotech makes a ds for the tremec swap. I had one in my 2012 gt tremec magnum car. Call lethal performance they should be able to help.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Dynotech makes a ds for the tremec swap. I had one in my 2012 gt tremec magnum car. Call lethal performance they should be able to help.
Thanks, I'm asking about the QA1. They're (in my opinion) the top product for CF driveshafts and I've seen way too many positive posts about them (and negative posts) about all the others.

If It can be done, I'd prefer the QA1, I was just under the impression it wasn't possible.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna be tuff to get a custom carbon fiber drive shaft , aluminum or steel no problem..

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I spoke with Bruce at Modern Driveline. Very helpful and courteous guy. Explained to me that it's not that they have a exclusive right for the QA-1, it's that they (MDL) have a proprietary adapter involved and that's why they're the only ones that offer the QA-1 with the Magnum coyote/GT350 swap.

super excited about getting to run the DS of my choosing. Bruce also confirmed that in their estimation, QA-1 is at the top of the market for DS.

Probably gonna end up getting my clutch from them as well (haven't ordered) yet and we spoke a little about driveline angles. I have to lower my motor with the BMR mounts so I was asking if the Magnum crossmember should be lowered with spacers and he actually was really helpful. Told me the magnum crossplate already rests a little lower than optimal so we'll wait to get everything lined up and measured to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys, this thread is truly a great reference for anyone planning/doing a Magnum swap.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I've been driving around town trying to get some miles on my clutch before doing any spirited driving. Today I noticed that I get a decent amount of vibration in the shifter above 5000 rpm. The car is smooth up to 80 mph, so it's not driveshaft vibration. Did anyone else notice an increase in vibration at high rpm? I'm trying to decide if something is wrong with my clutch/flywheel. Everything is smooth below 4000 rpm. Is this just a consequence of the new trans mount, and hard mounted shifter?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I've been driving around town trying to get some miles on my clutch before doing any spirited driving. Today I noticed that I get a decent amount of vibration in the shifter above 5000 rpm. The car is smooth up to 80 mph, so it's not driveshaft vibration. Did anyone else notice an increase in vibration at high rpm? I'm trying to decide if something is wrong with my clutch/flywheel. Everything is smooth below 4000 rpm. Is this just a consequence of the new trans mount, and hard mounted shifter?
I don't think what you're experiencing is normal, as I have a MGW and don't experience vibration caused by increasing RPM.

Did you do the clutch install yourself? Hopefully all flywheel and clutch bolts were torqued to spec, obviously criss-cross pattern.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I don't think what you're experiencing is normal, as I have a MGW and don't experience vibration caused by increasing RPM.

Did you do the clutch install yourself? Hopefully all flywheel and clutch bolts were torqued to spec, obviously criss-cross pattern.
Yeah, I did install myself. All torqued to spec. The clutch is the sprung hub RXT for the GT500, and it came fully assembled. Just had to bolt it to the flywheel. Doing some research, it sounds like some people have the flywheel and clutch balanced as an assembly before install. I am not looking forward to pulling this all back out again...

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm trying to track down any possible cause of my vibration before tearing it all back apart.

Anyone have clearance issues with the mounting boss on the passenger side at the top?

Here's some pictures. It looks really tight in person, the pictures make it look like there is more clearance. There does appear to be a mark in the paint from contact, but I couldn't get a picture of that.

ear2.jpg

ear1.jpg

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Interesting guys, what a great thread. I spoke to QA1 and the guy told me that the Magnum/S550 swap is a custom shaft and they don't make "custom" shafts with the CV. he didn't mention Modern Driveline, so I pretty much gave up on getting the QA1 and had settled that I would just get the DSS. Are you guys saying that if I want a QA1 for the Magnum on my 2016, MDL offers it? If so, how much?
Good luck with DSS, the aluminum one I got from them vibrated so badly I couldnt drive the car. I sent it back for them to look at and guess what they told me, I should install the stock rubber bushings in the diff and cradle to absorb the vibration. What bullshit.

Anyway, my QA1 should be here in a couple weeks. I would stay away from DSS they are hit or miss, never know what youre going to get from them.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Having some issues connecting to the Bowler harness, it keeps clicking the reverse lockout solenoid when powered on and when the unit shows up on the app it then goes right back out, like the box is just cycling on and off. Any advice is appreciated.

Edit okay apparently the speed sensor is supposed to be unplugged when you first connect, what a pain in the ass. Hopefully that’s my problem. I did get it into reverse once by just timing the clicks of the reverse lockout solenoid and my backup lights and camera came on so that’s a good sign.

Last edited:

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How many of y’all set your driveline angle accurately? I lowered my engine 1/4” and it requires over 1/2” in spacers between the body and trans mount to get engine/trans dead nuts matched to the pinion angle.

RubberFeet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
S550
Had to lower my trans 7/8" + to get vibration done to a level I can drive with. Haven't actually determined angles yet, but will soon. Contacted MDL and Bruce seemed to feel it was 'very weird' and said they had everything worked out with the kit. Interesting that you, too, have an issue. Need to come to a conclusion to this issue. Has anyone else found an issue with this conversion ?
Sponsored