Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
On the speed sensor adapter, blue is a sensor input. You have it connected to the ECM input. Input to an input doesn't work.

You also have the red power wire for the adapter connected to the T56 sensor. The red wire should be connected to a power supply like the fused source you are using for the bowler harness.

Blue and green are the adapter inputs, which is what you should connect to the sensor. White is the output wire to the Cortex EBC.

I would try just letting the bowler harness do the talking to the car's ECM. If that's what you want, then you would connect the ECM brown/green wire to one of the bowler harness purple wires. The other two ECM wires are optional and shouldn't be connected to the speed sensor adapter. I would cap off the violet/green since it is a 12V wire.

Really, I'm not sure you need that speed sensor adapter at all. You might be able to just run the same purple wire from the bowler harness to the Cortex EBC input. I'm curious if you can use both purple wires from the bowler harness at the same time. Then one wire would go to the ECM, and one to the Cortex.
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
On the speed sensor adapter, blue is a sensor input. You have it connected to the ECM input. Input to an input doesn't work.

You also have the red power wire for the adapter connected to the T56 sensor. The red wire should be connected to a power supply like the fused source you are using for the bowler harness.

Blue and green are the adapter inputs, which is what you should connect to the sensor. White is the output wire to the Cortex EBC.

I would try just letting the bowler harness do the talking to the car's ECM. If that's what you want, then you would connect the ECM brown/green wire to one of the bowler harness purple wires. The other two ECM wires are optional and shouldn't be connected to the speed sensor adapter. I would cap off the violet/green since it is a 12V wire.

Really, I'm not sure you need that speed sensor adapter at all. You might be able to just run the same purple wire from the bowler harness to the Cortex EBC input. I'm curious if you can use both purple wires from the bowler harness at the same time. Then one wire would go to the ECM, and one to the Cortex.
Ok yeah it looks the new configuration will be

Cortex Red (supply signal)- Mustang Violet/Green 12V ECM
Cortex White (output signal) - Mustang Brown/Green digital signal to ECM
Cortex Black (ground) - Mustang Blue/Gray signal ground

Cortex Blue and Green - Bowler VSS

I was under the impression that in order to correctly calibrate the speedometer to detect what gear we're in, we'll need an adapter to go from the 2 wire t56 output to the 3 wire harness from the mt82, and to change to the correct pulse count. I see Bowler recommends the same thing you mentioned about the purple wire to the Brown/Green wire in their note about the T56 conversion in mustangs, but I figured this adapter will configure the signal correctly for the Cortex EBC, as the adapter was made by Cortex as well.

We'll give this a shot and if it doesn't work, we'll do it your way. I'm simply following the instructions of a local member who has completed the t56 swap and uses the cortex successfully. Only difference is he made his own trans harness, so I might not be taking full advantage of Bowler's harness as it might have a little more functionality than his custom harness. We'll find out soon.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Ok yeah it looks the new configuration will be

Cortex Red (supply signal)- Mustang Violet/Green 12V ECM
Cortex White (output signal) - Mustang Brown/Green digital signal to ECM
Cortex Black (ground) - Mustang Blue/Gray signal ground

Cortex Blue and Green - Bowler VSS

I was under the impression that in order to correctly calibrate the speedometer to detect what gear we're in, we'll need an adapter to go from the 2 wire t56 output to the 3 wire harness from the mt82, and to change to the correct pulse count. I see Bowler recommends the same thing you mentioned about the purple wire to the Brown/Green wire in their note about the T56 conversion in mustangs, but I figured this adapter will configure the signal correctly for the Cortex EBC, as the adapter was made by Cortex as well.

We'll give this a shot and if it doesn't work, we'll do it your way. I'm simply following the instructions of a local member who has completed the t56 swap and uses the cortex successfully. Only difference is he made his own trans harness, so I might not be taking full advantage of Bowler's harness as it might have a little more functionality than his custom harness. We'll find out soon.
Personally, I wouldn't use the mustang harness power/ground for the supply for the Cortex adapter. The reason is that power/ground were originally intended to power just the VSS sensor, which is probably very low power. I wouldn't want to power a device where you don't know how much power it is consuming from a wire that may run through the ECM. I would run a dedicated power wire from the fuse box with a fuse, and find a clean chassis ground near where you mount the adapter. You could probably power it from the mustang harness and be fine, but I tend to be paranoid about re-purposing factory power wires.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Personally, I wouldn't use the mustang harness power/ground for the supply for the Cortex adapter. The reason is that power/ground were originally intended to power just the VSS sensor, which is probably very low power. I wouldn't want to power a device where you don't know how much power it is consuming from a wire that may run through the ECM. I would run a dedicated power wire from the fuse box with a fuse, and find a clean chassis ground near where you mount the adapter. You could probably power it from the mustang harness and be fine, but I tend to be paranoid about re-purposing factory power wires.
Well my friend, I owe you a beer.

We tried using the configuration I laid out earlier and still couldn't get a vss signal. So instead we tried your suggestion and connected the two speed sensor outputs from the Bowler harness to the Brown/Green digital signal to ECM and the Cortex VSS input. Sure enough the reading displayed on the Cortex logger! Ended up not needing the adapter just like you said.

All that's left now is to log with the cortex to calibrate each gear based on the vss reading, then boost by gear should be ready to rock :sunglasses:

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Well my friend, I owe you a beer.

We tried using the configuration I laid out earlier and still couldn't get a vss signal. So instead we tried your suggestion and connected the two speed sensor outputs from the Bowler harness to the Brown/Green digital signal to ECM and the Cortex VSS input. Sure enough the reading displayed on the Cortex logger! Ended up not needing the adapter just like you said.

All that's left now is to log with the cortex to calibrate each gear based on the vss reading, then boost by gear should be ready to rock :sunglasses:
Nice! I'm glad I could help out. This thread has helped me a ton during my T56 install, so I'm happy to contribute.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hey Alec, just out of curiosity, does your car have rev. match?
Unfortunately no. Didn't have it from factory and I never tried to configure anything like that

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Unfortunately no. Didn't have it from factory and I never tried to configure anything like that
Okay thanks. I'm just trying to kinda keep up with any progress that anyone might be making with the T56 magnum xl swap on a Mustang with rev. match. I still looking for a solution although i'm pretty sure it's impossible.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Okay thanks. I'm just trying to kinda keep up with any progress that anyone might be making with the T56 magnum xl swap on a Mustang with rev. match. I still looking for a solution although i'm pretty sure it's impossible.
Well not that this is a cost effective route but might be able to get it to work with an new Mach1 ecu and harness as they are effectively keeping the rev match with that car in the manual that comes with the tremec.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Well boys I lost 3rd now. Will be the second time I have to rebuild this trans
First time was for synchros

I was messing around on the highway with a buddy. Started in 2nd, clicked 3rd, felt the car fall on its face while I was still in it and pegged the limiter; new neutral lol

It wasn't even high boost either; maybe 12 psi

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I use this for rev match on downshifts
https://www.auto-blip.com/product/auto-blip/
Works very well. I havent found any other way to do it with the stock ecu.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well boys I lost 3rd now. Will be the second time I have to rebuild this trans
First time was for synchros

I was messing around on the highway with a buddy. Started in 2nd, clicked 3rd, felt the car fall on its face while I was still in it and pegged the limiter; new neutral lol

It wasn't even high boost either; maybe 12 psi
Damn, unlucky.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm getting close to finishing this swap with my slow progress working an hour here and there a few days a week.
Does anyone have any pictures of how to clean up the wiring? I went in there with some zip ties and couldn't find many spots to attach to.
Also not sure what to do with the way the harness runs around the bellhousing.

Here's a possible solution to the reverse lockout clearance that I'm going to try...

reverse sbs.jpg

I bought this reverse lockout delete on ebay. It comes with a very stiff spring by default, and the seller includes a softer spring as an option if the stiff spring is too strong. I'm going to try the stiff spring to start.

Before
reverse lockout.jpg

After
reverse spring.jpg

I also keep running into problems with the JPC racing driveshaft loop. I had to burr grind the holes to make it fit since they weren't drilled properly for my car. Had to bend it a bit to get the loop to clear the transmission tunnel. Finally figured that all out and installed it and now it is contacting the stock passenger side exhaust right at the flex joint. Still trying to figure out what to do about it. Tempted to throw in the towel and get some long tubes, but for one I have strict emissions in Colorado and two: I'm getting impatient to drive this thing!

Here's the driveshaft loop mount holes under the crossmember to show how they don't line up the same. I matched the crossmember to make it fit, but it was a shame to grind a nice new piece and then repaint it.
jpc holes.jpg

DS.jpg

Hard to tell from the pictures but that flex coupling is pressing hard into the the driveshaft loop mount.
jpc contact.jpg

jpc contact 2.jpg

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
You have a link for that reverse lockout delete?
Looks great!

I personally like the stiff arm procedure. Makes for a pretty good anti theft device lol

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
You have a link for that reverse lockout delete?
Looks great!

I personally like the stiff arm procedure. Makes for a pretty good anti theft device lol
Here's a link to the seller:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/rde_fabrications?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Side note: I just bit the bullet and ordered some Corsa long tube headers. I might pull the driveshaft loop off for now until the headers arrive. I guess I'm a sucker for long painful installs by myself laying on the garage floor.
Sponsored