Insect collection

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Turtle Wax bug and tar remover does pretty well. I carry some in my car all the time.
I agree, it's remove bugs. But what a smell or should I say stink :puke:. And it's kind of thick too. I used it once and don't have desire of using it again. I rather use waterless wash instead on the road and just wash car at home.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
I haven't met a bug n tar remover that doesn't strip wax, so keep that in mind.

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
have protection on the car to begin with (ceramic coating or a good sealant/wax combo). Then before too late, blast with power washer to get rid of most, and then wash the car in a normal manner. All comes off as safely as can be - no love marks/scratches/etching.
Then re-apply protection.

I'm in the south and we have the love bug problems as well. I sometimes switch from a full wash to an ONR wash after power washer blast on the front.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Then before too late, blast with power washer to get rid of most, and then wash the car in a normal manner.
Just FYI - if your car has stripes, be careful with pressure washer, it may lift the edges of the stripes.

Sponsored

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Just FYI - if your car has stripes, be careful with pressure washer, it may lift the edges of the stripes.
very good point.

Keeping the tip at a distance and using 40 degree nozzle helps. When around stripes, I angle the nozzle perpendicular to the car, so hitting the stripes from top - not from the sides where it can lift.
I also have PPF on the front and hood including on stripes, which is a piece of mind.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
That dryer sheet trick is impressive.

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
all.. please DO NOT use dryer sheets on your paint if you care about it.

If you are a normal person and not a detailing crazy like most of us, go ahead. But if you care about your paint, swirl marks, and looks, dryer sheet basically is an abrasive like sandpaper to your paint. Follow proper washing methods, use a Bug and Tar Remover IF you must and reapply protection to your paint. Otherwise normal washing methods, even an ONR (No Rinse) cleaning is as effective as anything.

for reference, here is another fellow crazy at Ammo NYC explaining his view on safe bug cleanups.
https://www.ammonyc.com/videos/how-to-remove-bugs-safely/

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I am wary of fabric softener sheets as they are made from coarse polyester fibers.

I am sure there are arguments to both sides whether a coarse polyester cloth rubbed on the car finish or ppf will or will not damage the finish. In a day when there are volumes of threads, reviews and videos proclaiming the world will end if we do not use fresh, new, tag-removed microfiber clothes (most made of polyester), or baby diaper cloth to come within 3 feet of our beloved rides, I am apprehensive of using a material shared with 1970's shiny disco shirts that some of us CERTAINLY covet in the deepest corner of our closets, in hopes of wearing again someday while driving our Shelbys to a 1970s revival where we can brag about our mag wheels.

I just ponder this. Especially while listening to Fleetwood Mac's 'Go your own way'.

Last edited:

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I am wary of fabric softener sheets as they are made from coarse polyester fibers.

I am sure there is arguments to both sides whether a coarse polyester cloth rubbed on the car finish or ppf will or will not damage the finish. In a day when there are volumes of threads, reviews and videos proclaiming the world will end if we do not use fresh, new, tag-removed microfiber clothes (most made of polyester), or baby diaper cloth to come within 3 feet of our beloved rides, I am apprehensive of using a material shared with 1970's shiny disco shirts that some of us CERTAINLY covet in the deepest corner of our closets, in hopes of wearing again someday while driving our Shelbys to a 1970s revival where we can brag about our mag wheels.

I just ponder this. Especially while listening to Fleetwood Mac's 'Go your own way'.

:)
I have no words.
you rock on, sir

Sponsored

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I guess not everyone reads the "How to Live in Florida" handbook. I thought everyone in FL knew the dryer sheet trick for the love bugs. And people say FL doesn't have seasons. We have love bug season, hurricane season, tourist season.....

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I guess not everyone reads the "How to Live in Florida" handbook. I thought everyone in FL knew the dryer sheet trick for the love bugs. And people say FL doesn't have seasons. We have love bug season, hurricane season, tourist season.....
That’s because not everyone in FL can read.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just went to check all the mayhem I inflicted on my new car.
Dark garage, proper light cannot pick up any scratches on the paint. Maybe it was because I let the dryer sheet soak and agitated it before using.
I did discover I didn’t do a great job claying though....3M Pro clay is on the way, I here it’s the best.
One thing I noticed was the amount of bugs in the grill had no relation the the bugs on the windshield, which is a little strange to me. The windshield was pretty clean. Anybody else notice this?
Sponsored