Sponsored

Inner versus outer OEM front brake pads

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Hey all, I’m replacing the front pads on my 2016 GT350R with OEM parts. I can’t find any description as to which part numbers are inner, versus outer. To the best of my understanding, we want the squeal inducing bit, that copper colored tab in the pads in front below, to be on the inside. Is that correct?

64602410-4BA5-4927-959A-81537D6F1F4D.jpeg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
the wear indicator is the outside pad.

Edited to add:'
The idea is that you can see the wear indicator through the spoke of the wheel as a quick reference to pad wear. Also the wear indicator will make a noise when it contacts the rotor.

Attachments

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
the tabs are just to alert you if the pads are low and need changed. I think common practice is to put those on the outside to visually see how close you are without pulling the wheels off... but other than that it shouldn't matter.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey all, I’m replacing the front pads on my 2016 GT350R with OEM parts. I can’t find any description as to which part numbers are inner, versus outer. To the best of my understanding, we want the squeal inducing bit, that copper colored tab in the pads in front below, to be on the inside. Is that correct?

The cars come from the factory with the indicators on the outside.

What's the tube of stuff though? The factory service manual pages in the PDF in @Tomster's post don't show any "goop" being applied to any of the parts, and personally, I'd never do it. The pads are intended to be installed clean and dry.

Note that the illustration in the PDF shows the wear indicator on the outer pad.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

What's the tube of stuff though? The factory service manual pages in the PDF in @Tomster's post don't show any "goop" being applied to any of the parts, and personally, I'd never do it. The pads are intended to be installed clean and dry.

Note that the illustration in the PDF shows the wear indicator on the outer pad.
The copper brembo lube should be applied only where the brake pads meet the contact points of the caliper and hardware. Any more is a waste.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Mind sharing source and cost?

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
the wear indicator is the outside pad.

Edited to add:'
The idea is that you can see the wear indicator through the spoke of the wheel as a quick reference to pad wear. Also the wear indicator will make a noise when it contacts the rotor.
Keep in mind, at least my experience on track use, is that the inner front pads will wear faster than the outer (perhaps due to greater heat?) and as a result I have had a near bare inner pad while the outer pad just touched the squeal bar.

of course, unless you like changing pads every 5 average track days, you should go with some raybestos st43 or similar pads anyway.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind, at least my experience on track use, is that the inner front pads will wear faster than the outer (perhaps due to greater heat?) and as a result I have had a near bare inner pad while the outer pad just touched the squeal bar.

of course, unless you like changing pads every 5 average track days, you should go with some raybestos st43 or similar pads anyway.
I have seen that go both ways. That isn't always the case for me, but it is something you have to watch for. To do a proper brake inspection, you need to remove the wheel.

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
A belated THANKS to you all.

I borowed that picture form the internet when searching for that P/N. My new pads did not come with the Brembo grease, and produced no squeaking once installed.

Mind sharing source and cost?
I called my local dealer who found the pads in stock at another about an hour from me. The retail price was close to $400 but they got close to matching the lowest price I found online: $265 plus tax is what I paid.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
A belated THANKS to you all.

I borowed that picture form the internet when searching for that P/N. My new pads did not come with the Brembo grease, and produced no squeaking once installed.

I called my local dealer who found the pads in stock at another about an hour from me. The retail price was close to $400 but they got close to matching the lowest price I found online: $265 plus tax is what I paid.
Thanks. That's close to what White Bear Lake is charging ($243 + shipping).
Sponsored