indoor storage

bergdon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Another vote for cleaning the car before using the cover to prevent unwanted micro scratches.
Sponsored

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Check out CoverCraft also.

The cover will not necessarily be packaged from the factory in the manner that makes sense in this process, so get someone to help you to put the cover on the car first.

IMG_8473.jpg

This is the process I do to take the cover off, this then sets you up to put it back on safely and efficiently.

Go around the car and unhook from the bumpers.

IMG_8471.jpg

Then fold the sides into the middle of the car.

IMG_8466.jpg

Then roll the cover up from back to front, resting the roll at the base of the windscreen, then roll the rest from there and lift off the car.

IMG_8469.jpg

Now, putting the cover back on is a reversal of the process. Rest the roll at the base of the windscreen, roll out from front to back, fold down the sides and tuck back under the bumpers.
Same method I have always used too 😄👍🏻

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Francois: I'm sure every person who has used covers regularly has their way of doing things and the vehicle plays a big part. To my mind, there are only a couple different starting points as you said for a Mustang.

I unhook the front and roll up to the windshield. Then unhook the back and roll to the mirrors. Pull off the passenger side mirror section and roll forward. Finally, over to the driver side, pull the mirror, roll firmly, then flip the whole thing partly over itself and roll like a sleeping bag. I set "the roll" such that I'll know how to pick it up to unroll.

So, if anyone has a quicker method, I'm all ears because when it's covered, it's the uncovering that often keeps me from driving the car. :-)
LOL that is the quest, and close to my dance.

Front and rear unhooked. Flip up the driver side, go to pass side pulling the cover to that side of the roof. Then bring up the pass, side laying on top. Alien with the back edge of the fold from the drives side (does not need to be perfect).

Still working from the pass side fold again. Creating a width about the size of a sleeping bag, cover is still full length F&R.

Go to the front and roll to the back.

To install sit the roll in the middle of trunk. I bias it to the driver side. Roll forward, first unfold is from the driver side to the pass. Back to the drivers side, unfolding the cover. I will capture the mirror in the pocket, keeping the cover anchored.

Go to pass side unfold, do the same with the mirror and pocket.

To the front fluff the cover like a bed sheet. Allowing the sides to completely drop, hook the front, repeat at the rear.

I find some music of one's choice, promotes the dance step for success.

Cheers,
Greg

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I do not use a cover. Over the winter, its stored in a car capsule. Otherwise, it sits uncovered in the garage. I use this to remove dust and love it:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+car+duster.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

BTW: Talk all you want about the duster creating micro-scratches. Yes it does create microscratches.

Remember, every single time you touch your car, you scratch it. Whether you wash it with a mit, put a car cover on, use a microfiber cloth, or use a microfiber duster. You scratch it. Period.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do not use a cover. Over the winter, its stored in a car capsule. Otherwise, it sits uncovered in the garage. I use this to remove dust and love it:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+car+duster.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

BTW: Talk all you want about the duster creating micro-scratches. Yes it does create microscratches.

Remember, every single time you touch your car, you scratch it. Whether you wash it with a mit, put a car cover on, use a microfiber cloth, or use a microfiber duster. You scratch it. Period.

Nonsense, that's smoke, paint is not that weak. Common sense care will provide the owner with a lasting finish.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
You scratch it. Period.
Boz: I have to respectfully disagree as I am of the same opinion as @Rapid Red.

Having said that, I will agree that putting a cover on a vehicle that has ANY contamination on it be it dirt, dust, or whatever, has the potential to mark the clear coat. Consequently, the only time I cover mine is after a wash, no other time. Equally important that probably goes without saying but one needs to keep THE COVER clean, too.

But, if I want a really clean car (when it's "dusty,) I will use a couple MF towels and a bucket of warm water and a drop or two of soap. Wipe down and wipe dry. If you do this, when you see how dirty the water in the bucket is, you can understand why contact with contaminated clear can cause issues.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pictures worth thousands of words, raining out, nothing to do

Uncover and store
IMG_0472.jpeg
IMG_0473.jpeg
IMG_0474.jpeg
IMG_0475.jpeg
IMG_0476.jpeg
IMG_0477.jpeg
IMG_0478.jpeg

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cover up, satin cover protects the paint.

IMG_0479.jpeg
IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0485.jpeg
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0487.jpeg

Simple never get the front and back mixed up

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Greg: I'm going to presume that you've experienced this with the soft cover but in case newer owners have not, here's the tip. The soft cover is EXTREMELY hydrophyllic and they STAY wet for a VERY long time, even when put through a dryer cycle..or two. Then, if you happen to miss this fact and install the cover, there will be big old wet marks on the car the next time you remove the cover.

I imagine that keeping it dry is fairly difficult where you are in Georgia with rain and the resulting humidity. I know it is down in my part of the country. So, the key is, keep it as clean as you can so the washing frequency and resulting drying quest are minimized.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Greg: I'm going to presume that you've experienced this with the soft cover but in case newer owners have not, here's the tip. The soft cover is EXTREMELY hydrophyllic and they STAY wet for a VERY long time, even when put through a dryer cycle..or two. Then, if you happen to miss this fact and install the cover, there will be big old wet marks on the car the next time you remove the cover.

I imagine that keeping it dry is fairly difficult where you are in Georgia with rain and the resulting humidity. I know it is down in my part of the country. So, the key is, keep it as clean as you can so the washing frequency and resulting drying quest are minimized.

Parked in a covered breezeway.

Sponsored

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that what is best for me is NO cover. It stays inside in a climate controlled environment, however. I've just had too many covers cause too many problems, though others disagree.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Parked in a covered breezeway.
Copy that, Greg, but I was referring to the outside air and being open to it. I SWEAR my soft factory cover ABSORBS moisture from the air and mine is indoors.
Sponsored