Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Hello all,

As a previous biker, I always used old bed sheets to protect bikes from dust witout damaging them. O na motorcycle, this is really easy to put on and off . I know that some would tell me to buy an indoor cover but is there some that use old bed sheets and get good results ( no swirls) or any other frusating issues?

Just as the Mustang is way bigger and I do not want to mess the pristine finish. Sold my bike so I have affection to my old goodies that served me so well ?
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
As someone once said,

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

..and that is certainly true for vehicle covers. If you can keep those sheets clean and, keep them from sliding on to the dirty floor, as long as you're careful putting it on and taking it off, you can almost certainly avoid any paint damage. You may have lint issues which isn't true of the factory cover.

It's also VERY windy where I am and if you even opened a garage door, unfitted and unweighted sheets would blow off in the blink of an eye. Also one of the main reasons I like the material of the factory covers, they are quite snug.

Hope you find a solution.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Try this idea on for size, Satin cover, I have 2 of these. One for the wife's but more important.
My car is parked in a breeze way, covered with a Steeda cover I put a satin cover (Sheets)on first to protect the paint.

The Steeda cover is a generic weave so that's not knocking the Steeda product. It's the weave and will put light scratches on the high spots on the body.

Notice the price........... No chance of it falling off the car
FWIW

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 8.05.45 PM.png

IMG_0039.jpeg

OP
OP
Jackismydog

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for your replies ! Carcoverfactory seems a good solution

By the way , how to you safely install / remove a huge cover like that? You begin with the front bumper or with the rear . Just to have a full comprehension to how to proceed to avoid paint damages while installing and removing? ( sorry for this noob question but I want the best for my 2016 GT convertible!! )

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Francois: I'm sure every person who has used covers regularly has their way of doing things and the vehicle plays a big part. To my mind, there are only a couple different starting points as you said for a Mustang.

I unhook the front and roll up to the windshield. Then unhook the back and roll to the mirrors. Pull off the passenger side mirror section and roll forward. Finally, over to the driver side, pull the mirror, roll firmly, then flip the whole thing partly over itself and roll like a sleeping bag. I set "the roll" such that I'll know how to pick it up to unroll.

So, if anyone has a quicker method, I'm all ears because when it's covered, it's the uncovering that often keeps me from driving the car. :-)

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks guys for your replies ! Carcoverfactory seems a good solution

By the way , how to you safely install / remove a huge cover like that? You begin with the front bumper or with the rear . Just to have a full comprehension to how to proceed to avoid paint damages while installing and removing? ( sorry for this noob question but I want the best for my 2016 GT convertible!! )
Check out CoverCraft also.

The cover will not necessarily be packaged from the factory in the manner that makes sense in this process, so get someone to help you to put the cover on the car first.

IMG_8473.jpg

This is the process I do to take the cover off, this then sets you up to put it back on safely and efficiently.

Go around the car and unhook from the bumpers.

IMG_8471.jpg

Then fold the sides into the middle of the car.

IMG_8466.jpg

Then roll the cover up from back to front, resting the roll at the base of the windscreen, then roll the rest from there and lift off the car.

IMG_8469.jpg

Now, putting the cover back on is a reversal of the process. Rest the roll at the base of the windscreen, roll out from front to back, fold down the sides and tuck back under the bumpers.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
KB ................ has it right :champagne:

Carcoverfactory

Very easy to use, my wife removes & covers her CTS by herself ...
Everytime she uses the car, it's that easy.

No big production or added man power required..

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
My experience with car and bike covers is that they collect dirt, both on the inside and outside of the material, which then gets transferred to the vehicle. My alternative is the good old California Car Duster.
_p_2_p23431.jpg

Available for around $20, or $12 with the plastic handle. Takes no longer to dust the car than it would to cover/uncover it, and leaves no residual dust like a cover would unless it's constantly washed between uses. Just be patient until the excess wax is gone. A microfiber rag removes wax smudges quickly and easily. Once it's 'seasoned', the dirtier it gets, the better it works. If you're still determined to get a cover, I understand. Just thought I'd throw an alternative into the discussion.

OP
OP
Jackismydog

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
This morning, I've pulled the trigger on a satin cover from Carcoversfactory.
In order to avoid scratching the car, is it a must to clean the car prior to put the cover on ? I know if the car is dirty, but if it is a bit dusty with some bugs in the front . Is it a must ? Can a waterless rapid cleaning be a good solution?

1630750563134.png

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This morning, I've pulled the trigger on a satin cover from Carcoversfactory.
In order to avoid scratching the car, is it a must to clean the car prior to put the cover on ? I know if the car is dirty, but if it is a bit dusty with some bugs in the front . Is it a must ? Can a waterless rapid cleaning be a good solution?

1630750563134.png
A water-less or rinse-less wash would be fine prior to fitment.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will look it over after it sets, and do the top surfaces, not always. Caleeforuna Duster works, wipe and shake as you go. The hype magic duster no need. The dirtyer it gets the better it works ......... well I'm not one to take a chance with that.

That said my wife's car is used for her errands. Comes back covers the car, she use it to keep the paw prints off a black car.

Been doing that for a year now, have an eye for detail and know where & what to look for. Have not seen any light surface scratches.

Just treat the car as you did the bike, I'm very familiar with the drill.

Bugs I will say, the cover will just cover over them. When the cover is removed they will still be there looking at you with those beady, dead little eyes..

Wait until you have it in hand, and use it a few times. That will answer all your questions as to the usage .

Last edited:

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Car MUST be clean before the cover goes on. Best to do it straight after a wash. Buy the duster to use if car is dusty before you can put the cover on but if the car has been driven NEVER put the cover on.