Sponsored

Improved?

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It seems the U.K. Gov has launched a shortened consultation period, on introducing new legislation related to amongst other things, improving your car, over the OEM spec, with non OEM parts. "Anti tamper".

I would suggest this would concern anyone who either makes, sells or buys after sales parts for cars or bikes!

There are more emotive issues too, related to the Boris' Gov getting into the sac with Amazon, Google, Tesla, etc. But that's another thread, perhaps.

Anyway, check out this consultation:
Introduction : Future of transport regulatory review: modernising vehicle standards (smartsurvey.co.uk)

Here's how I learnt of this.
Government wants to make car & motorcycle customization an offence! ACT NOW! - YouTube

Department for Transport, proposed Car/Motorcycle ANTI-TAMPER LAW? Are we confused? - YouTube
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As long as it only applies to new cars, once cars go electric I don't see the point in modding. Can you imagine everyone with pre 2000 cars having to put back their tape players 😂

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i do wish they'd concentrate on worthwhile issues, not like we are not regulated enough in the UK already

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
As long as it only applies to new cars, once cars go electric I don't see the point in modding. Can you imagine everyone with pre 2000 cars having to put back their tape players 😂

Bit of an extreme example. However, part of the consultation proposes the secretary of state for transport can order a recall of modified vehicles. This could be to reset those vehicles to factory. Furthermore, this could be retrospective application of the anti-tamper law, by the back door.

Anyway, those who want to keep modifying their cars, even just changing the tyres or a windshield wiper, while avoiding paying OEM prices. Might want to consider recording their objection to the proposal of these new laws, in the consultation.

Consider, if the Gov remove the aftersales market, all of us will be forced to buy replacement parts ONLY from the OEM.... Hhmmm, I wonder what that would do to prices!
And it's goodbye to after sales innovators, manufacturers and vendors.
:wink:

Don't gen 2 Coyotes have an oil cooler/pump/plate thingy, problem? Imagine being forced to refit the OEM parts, after an engine rebuild...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The refined cooler has the same part number.
As a automotive design Engineer for nearing 30 yrs and having worked on Ford projects I am very, very, familiar with Ford's part numbering.

To revise a post-job-1 part, assembly, system, requires a process commonly referred to as an ECR, Engineering Change Request. This involves lots of work, including design changes, tooling and process revisions, costing, lead times, etc, which results in a part / assembly, number change, because, think about it. How would Engineering, purchase and manufacturing departments know what Engineering release level they were producing, purchasing, installing, IF, IF, the part number was the same for both the old and new design?

I've worked in Dunton, Cologne and Istanbul, for Ford.

Anyway, going a little off topic there.
If anyone here wants to continue to modify their cars or design, produce or sell such parts. Then we all have an interest in letting the Gov know, via the consultation, the anti-tamper proposal is unwanted.

No mapping, no exhausts, no window tints, no suspension upgrades, no light mods, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.