Sponsored

Impressions on new deliveries of 2022’s

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I had a E92 M3 10 years ago and man I miss mine. Was so disappointed on the F80 generation M3 with losing the V8 and hydraulic steering. The throttle response on that engine was amazing also. Wayyyy better than the mustang haha.

To be honest there are times I regret getting it over the Mustang. At the time though my wife lost her job due to Covid and I had a ton of equity with the M3. It was a 2013 M3, last one built and imported into Cali. Also it was a ZCP with a manual 6MT. I had business cards weekly offering to buy the car. I had the car since new and never did it go to the dealer for warranty or repair work. Only maintenance. Can't say the same for Mustang. 2 recalls, 2 leaking oil pans and a modem that never worked.
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
To be honest there are times I regret getting it over the Mustang. At the time though my wife lost her job due to Covid and I had a ton of equity with the M3. It was a 2013 M3, last one built and imported into Cali. Also it was a ZCP with a manual 6MT. I had business cards weekly offering to buy the car. I had the car since new and never did it go to the dealer for warranty or repair work. Only maintenance. Can't say the same for Mustang. 2 recalls, 2 leaking oil pans and a modem that never worked.
Mine was a 2013 also ZCP DCT and I was a pretty active member over at M3post. Ending up moving to a manual C7 corvette after a few years. But the E92 M3 was my favorite car I ever owned. They just don`t make them like that anymore.

Coming from more expensive cars the mustang lacks in a lot of areas. But we are paying a much lower price. So you have to take the good with the bad. At this point I am just grateful to buy a manual V8 powered performance car. Because this kind of stuff is going away fast.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Mine was a 2013 also ZCP DCT and I was a pretty active member over at M3post. Ending up moving to a manual C7 corvette after a few years. But the E92 M3 was my favorite car I ever owned. They just don`t make them like that anymore.

Coming from more expensive cars the mustang lacks in a lot of areas. But we are paying a much lower price. So you have to take the good with the bad. At this point I am just grateful to buy a manual V8 powered performance car. Because this kind of stuff is going away fast.

Agreed

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
Going to agree on the steering feel, especially coming out of a German sporty car. I came out of an BMW E92 M3, and thats the one thing I sorely miss about that car is the steering feelin addition to the sound of that beautiful S65 revving out to 8400rpm. A Ford Racing Track kit and much wider tires on wider wheels did alleviate that some but its just vague. I feel I have tremendous grip but its not very communicative.

Its a little unfair I guess as the BMW M3 still had old fashioned hydraulic steering while the Mustang has EPAS. However, Ford knows now to do EPAS. Just drive a Focus RS/ST or even a Fiesta ST, the steering in those cars are tremendous.
Took a drive to the mountains today on some very small and winding roads. The grip is absolutely mind boggling for a car this size and weight. The weighting of the steering with the performance pack/magneride setup in sport+ mode was excellent as well.
I just have to rely on what I feel through the seat in the Mustang a lot more than the steering, for sure.
Of course, my benchmark is still my Miata. The combination of weight, balance, breaking and the feel of the front end grip through the steering in that car is excellent. It’s also how I learned the RWD dynamics with a LSD.
I know it’s a cliché, but since I’ve had my first NB, it’s a car that stops being an implement and becomes an extension of you when you drive. Even when you’re not going that fast.

I have all of the trust with the Mustang. It’s just a different beast than what I’m used to. Today was a blast taking it through some really tight twisties and I can’t wait to do it again. I’m almost at 850 miles now and loving every second.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
…At this point I am just grateful to buy a manual V8 powered performance car. Because this kind of stuff is going away fast.
This was my impetus as well, coupled with always thinking the Mustangs were cool and wanting one.

Sponsored

Tawse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2022 GB GT/CS
How does your sport mode plus downshift on your car? My 2019 10 speed would downshift with high rpms and sounded very cool, but my 2022 is downshifting like it is in normal mode. Not sure if this is because its not broken in yet.
Dunno if anyone has answered yet. I don't have my mustang yet BUT I saw a video that discussed this complaint and the guy suggested putting it in Sport+ Mode and making sure the shifter is in sport mode. The shifter in sport mode will cause it to hold the gears longer. Maybe test and see if that helps?? If you're not already doing it of course.

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
Dunno if anyone has answered yet. I don't have my mustang yet BUT I saw a video that discussed this complaint and the guy suggested putting it in Sport+ Mode and making sure the shifter is in sport mode. The shifter in sport mode will cause it to hold the gears longer. Maybe test and see if that helps?? If you're not already doing it of course.
I never had to do this on my 2019 pp1. Only set it to sports plus. I think it might be learning still.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I’m at 1035 miles as of today. Everything has broken in nicely, and the noisy flywheel is no longer an issue.
I absolutely hated the stock clutch pedal resistance and installed the Steeda clutch spring with great results for me. I can modulate the clutch much easier to get to the grab point.

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
LoL, I bought exactly what I wanted. None of the things I described are actual mechanical issues, or even something that makes me not love driving the Mustang. It’s all just a character of this car.
I still have my Miata for lightweight dynamics and autocross fun. The Mustang is replacing a stage 1+ MK7.5 GTI with suspension and chassis stiffening bits.
Just wanted to share my impressions coming from a slightly different car ownership background, as I am getting used to a much different driving experience.
I am curious about how the Mustang compares to the GTI and Miata you also have experience with.
Not from a performance standpoint but more how each differs in their fun factor?
I have owned two S550 Mustang GT’s (2017 & 2020) and two GTI’s (2013 & 2016) and am purchasing a new Miata Club next week.
The Mustangs and the VW‘s were all great cars to own and drive, the Miata will be an entirely new endeavor.

OP
OP
BlueOdessa22

BlueOdessa22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I am curious about how the Mustang compares to the GTI and Miata you also have experience with.
Not from a performance standpoint but more how each differs in their fun factor?
I have owned two S550 Mustang GT’s (2017 & 2020) and two GTI’s (2013 & 2016) and am purchasing a new Miata Club next week.
The Mustangs and the VW‘s were all great cars to own and drive, the Miata will be an entirely new endeavor.
I have never personally experienced a 9/10 or a 10/10. Guessing those should be allocated to cars in the complete unobtanium or the Porsche GT3 RS category.
My plebeian fun ratings are:
Mustang - 8/10
Miata - 8/10
GTI - 6/10

The GTI was a jack of all trades. With springs, sways/endlinks and a tune it was the fastest car I’d ever owned that handled better(flatter) than the Miata. The stock brakes on my 2019 SE were beyond fantastic for daily fun. Once pushed at the limit it understeered. MK7.5 is a balanced chassis that responded very well to throttle corrections. The eLSD worked great, but felt weird. The whole car sensation was muted for me. The real moments of greatness were the neutral handling up to the limit, spirited braking balance and the turbo sweet spot with a stage 1+ tune at 3500rpm in third gear.
The Miata is the one I kept with the Mustang. Having driven the Mustang for over a thousand miles in the last two weeks, I made an excellent decision. The lightness and balance in the Miata is something that should be experienced to be understood. The difference between it and the Mustang is night and day. To me they complement each other. The Miata is a ND1 Club, owned from new with a tune and an exhaust. I have not touched the stock suspension or the non-Brembo brakes. Never felt like they were needed, quite honestly. The only thing this car needs, really, is a set of really good tires. I fully recommend Michelin Pilot Sport. (An exhaust will help, but mainly aurally.)
Congrats on your purchase, and have fun adjusting to driving with your tach, rather than the speedometer. The Miata lives in 5-7k range.
Sponsored