Sponsored

I weighed my Mustangs

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ugh, after this week, my car with me in it will be another 20 lbs heavier ... :crackup:
LMAO.... yea, I was going to say the OP’s weigh ins could be +/- some lbs depending if the driver was loaded or unloaded with food... I mean realistically that could skew the weigh ins by a “solid” 3-5lbs.... :crackup:
Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Good reading. I used to have an 85 GT fastback that I bought almost new, 5 speed, was fully loaded, ttops, all power options, etc. But with that, I'm sure it was heavier than the 85 notchback and the SVO, it had 210 hp, but it seemed to go like stink, but prob realistically 0-60 in about 6 seconds. I did some minor mods, (cat delete, 160 thermostat, pulleys and reworked carb) but prob only had about 220 hp after. Was a fun car for me, I was in my lower 20's. I always thought it was lighter than what I read here, but obviously I am wrong, as you guys have actual weights to prove it.

OP
OP

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If the A10 Mustangs weigh about the same as a 6 speed manual trans , I can see why the A10 Mustangs would be quicker in the 1/4 mile . I don't think I will be racing any A10 Mustangs.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Good reading. I used to have an 85 GT fastback that I bought almost new, 5 speed, was fully loaded, ttops, all power options, etc. But with that, I'm sure it was heavier than the 85 notchback and the SVO, it had 210 hp, but it seemed to go like stink, but prob realistically 0-60 in about 6 seconds. I did some minor mods, (cat delete, 160 thermostat, pulleys and reworked carb) but prob only had about 220 hp after. Was a fun car for me, I was in my lower 20's. I always thought it was lighter than what I read here, but obviously I am wrong, as you guys have actual weights to prove it.
The cars C&D happened to test back in the day weighed (curb):
85 GT: 3167
86 SVO: ~3150
So about the same, I assume the more sophisticated suspension in the SVO makes up for the (probably) lighter engine.

6.4 to 60 and a 91 mph trap speed was pretty good back in the day. I had one of those mind-blowing formative car moments in my friends stock 85 when he just goosed the gas in first. It was awesome back then...

Last edited:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I love data! Thanks for sharing this @Hi-PO Stang !

Not all of the added weight since the early Fox years has been "fat".

Cars are significantly more rigid, which is a good thing for performance (especially cornering), ride quality, and durability. Not to mention driver confidence/composure.

14" front brakes vs 10" or maybe 11" for the Fox.

Norm
100% agree, Norm.
Whenever people point out the weight of modern muscle cars, I reply “compared to what?“.

Heavier than a Miata? Well yeah, they also have 4x the power. Heavier than a Porsche 911? They cost 1/3 as much.

Heavier than a 1965 Mustang? Sure. They also have brakes bigger than the 1965 car’s wheels, and don’t split in half at the firewall in a light collision.

3700-4200 lbs is just what it takes to have an “affordable” RWD car with 400+hp.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
One of my favs when I was younger...

200.gif
This is my prior 90 5.0 notchback (pics from 2007).

Original paint (Crystal Blue Metallic Clearcoat); looked awesome in daylight and always had a different hue depending on lighting as seen in the images.

I gutted this car to a shell; it was a complete blue interior and every last bit was converted to genuine black interior parts from headliner to floor. 5-lug 4-wheel disc brake conversion w/Baer components and done right (master cyl, booster and proportioning valve). Complete exhaust (BBK LT’s, BBK H and 2.5” all the way back). Real GT40 tubular intake setup, electric fans, oversized radiator, etc... Engine was built by “Big Daddy” Dwayne Gutridge and was a mid 10 sec N/A setup. Complete suspension overhaul as well (springs, sway bars, control arms, etc), sub-frames, CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73’s, Moser axles, etc etc etc.

There was not one thing that was not touched on this car - and everything that was done was done right and done “stealth”. All it looked like was just another Mustang 5.0 notch with some rims... LMAO... until someone tried to test me.... then it was “c-ya”!

This car recently came up for sale again on NJ Craigs within the last 2 years... and still looked the same with the exception of the rims being changed... but I saw it too late and missed buying it back.

7BD9E9D7-E08F-44AB-91F0-CB9A1BE248D8.jpeg
D27D9CA6-991E-4BBB-8C26-D3B36DDB34E6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Has anyone here weighed a 1990 or 1991 Mustang 5.0 LX notchback with a 5 spd manual trans ? I would like to know how the weight compares to my 1991 5.0 LX auto trans Mustang.
Sponsored