Sponsored

I tested stock, Mishimoto, and JLT intake tubes.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got tired of hearing vendors claim their intake tubing does this and does that. So, I spent $125 to buy the Mishimoto hose just for the purpose of performing this test. I was looking for real world value in these solutions and not some dyno chart that is never independent (ahem Mishimoto) or never without an aftermarket calibration NOT deviating from stock outside of adjusting the MAF.

Here is what I found.

Both Mishimito and JLT claim "gains" with their intake solutions.
The Mishimoto results are the Mishimito Induction Hose where they claim 15hp/15tq in the mid range which is why this test is from 40 MPH to 70 MPH in 3rd gear. I'm using the stock paper filter for the stock and Mishimoto results.

Fuel used is an E85 mix.

Based on marketing the following should occur:

1. Mishimoto tube should give me 15hp/15tq in the mid range where this test is at a sweet spot for.
2. The JLT should dramatically overpower both stock and Mishimito.

My findings show that no matter what, it takes ~3.56 seconds with any of these setups to go from 40 MPH to 70 MPH. I want to throw out the data for the second run for stock and Mishimoto as that seems to be going slightly uphill as both results were nearly the same. Past 6000 RPM is no doubt where any power difference between JLT and the stock configuration will show gains, but I don't want a ticket nor do I feel it is going to make a big difference.

Results-

JLT: (Different road on second log)
40mph at 45.75, 37.28
70mph at 49.31, 40.84
----------------
3.56, 3.56

Stock:
40mph at 6.68, 41.43
70mph at 10.24, 45.19
----------------
3.56, 3.76

Mishimoto:
40mph at 73.2, 18.95
70mph at 76.76, 22.68
-----------------
3.56, 3.73

JLT: http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/jlt-july-4-2017?log=0&data=1-5-8-9&zoom=1126-1251

Stock: http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/stock-intake-tubing?log=1&data=1-5-8-9&zoom=149-277

Mishimoto: http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/mishimoto?log=0&data=1-5-8-9&zoom=1784-1945

This is not an extremely scientific test and shouldn't be taken as 100% fact by any means. It is data I have collected and my own opinion based on the data I found. I have no doubt the JLT will make more power at higher RPM where the Coyote shines. I'm rarely at that RPM.

TLDR; Save your money if you're just a normal dude like me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Nice.

I appreciate anyone who spends their money and time just to collect data to share.

This is a good comparison. everything is very similar. Only think I notice is load towards the end of the pulls (5400rpms) for the stock intake starts falling where the JLT and mishimoto are slightly higher and the same. Links are how I adjusted the parameters to compare load at the end of the pulls. Mishimoto is doing slightly better than JLT and had 1-2* hotter air.

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/stock-intake-tubing?log=1&data=1-8-10&solo=2-3-10-17-18-25-26&zoom=242-268

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/jlt-july-4-2017?log=0&data=1-8-10&solo=2-3-10-17-18-25-27&zoom=1217-1237

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/mishimoto?log=1&data=1-8-10&solo=3-10&zoom=554-566

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice.

I appreciate anyone who spends their money and time just to collect data to share.

This is a good comparison. everything is very similar. Only think I notice is load towards the end of the pulls (5400rpms) for the stock intake starts falling where the JLT and mishimoto are slightly higher and the same. Links are how I adjusted the parameters to compare load at the end of the pulls. Mishimoto is doing slightly better than JLT and had 1-2* hotter air.

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/stock-intake-tubing?log=1&data=1-8-10&solo=2-3-10-17-18-25-26&zoom=242-268

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/jlt-july-4-2017?log=0&data=1-8-10&solo=2-3-10-17-18-25-27&zoom=1217-1237

http://datazap.me/u/gh0st/mishimoto?log=1&data=1-8-10&solo=3-10&zoom=554-566
Good catch. I really do feel once I reached 6000+ is where the differences would shine the most. I need to get my car to the track one of these days and see how well it does with the Mishimoto setup and a Green filter.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the [MENTION=9961]Mishimoto[/MENTION] tube. So far I like it. Definitely improved response over stock. Seems to have a punchier mid-range but difficult to separate butt dyno stuff. Will do some data logs over the next few days to see how much more air it's bringing in.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Any opinion on the airaid modular intake tube with a dry drop in filter like aem?

Sponsored

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I went from the Airaid MIT to the Mishimoto, both with a drop in filter and same Bama tune. Mishimoto definitely feels stronger in the mid range.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I've been saying this for years. Thankyou.

Can you imagine this at Ford powertrain?

"Jim, we've got this new 5.0, how can we make it more powerful?"

"Well Sarah, we could change this plastic induction system, it wouldn't cost us a thing, same amount of plastic, and we gain 15 horsepower! We could stick it to the GM plant across the river as a horsepower king just by changing this plastic around here and there! The aftermarket does it all the time, and somehow they RAISE the induction temps over our current design and get that 15 horsepower! Truly amazing I tell you!"

"Thanks Jim, but I think we'll keep our shitty induction setup that we spent a year on with computer finite analysis. Those aftermarket people who develop those systems in the back of a garage with a pencil and a hacksaw sure impress me though. Wish we knew what they knew."

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Does anyone feel like post Mishi induction hose install the computers AFR is wonky? Seems jumpy. I cant remember when stock when I'm punching it, the AFR would drop down to the 10s, but this seems to stay around 14 for a bit before dropping.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Rather than a time stamp did you take any airflow measurements?

Id be curious to see not only the peak difference (if any), but also a graph showing airflow by RPM. If there is an increase in mid range power, there should theoretically be more airflow in the middle of the powerband.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can you imagine this at Ford powertrain?

"Jim, we've got this new 5.0, how can we make it more powerful?"

"Well Sarah, we could change this plastic induction system, it wouldn't cost us a thing, same amount of plastic, and we gain 15 horsepower! We could stick it to the GM plant across the river as a horsepower king just by changing this plastic around here and there! The aftermarket does it all the time, and somehow they RAISE the induction temps over our current design and get that 15 horsepower! Truly amazing I tell you!"

"Thanks Jim, but I think we'll keep our shitty induction setup that we spent a year on with computer finite analysis. Those aftermarket people who develop those systems in the back of a garage with a pencil and a hacksaw sure impress me though. Wish we knew what they knew."
Useful contribution .

You do know that the OEMs have lot of attributes to balance, power only being one of them, and that the end result they come up with is a best compromise on all those? Large tubes with big, open filters will flow more air, but at a cost of other things (IAT, NVH targets, emissions).

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Useful contribution .

You do know that the OEMs have lot of attributes to balance, power only being one of them, and that the end result they come up with is a best compromise on all those? Large tubes with big, open filters will flow more air, but at a cost of other things (IAT, NVH targets, emissions).
They are however, constantly in a horsepower war and any numbers that help win that score huge points. As far as NVH, hell, they've got a tube running to the cabin to make it worse! And from what I've seen, they have IAT nailed in comparison to aftermarket.

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Rather than a time stamp did you take any airflow measurements?

Id be curious to see not only the peak difference (if any), but also a graph showing airflow by RPM. If there is an increase in mid range power, there should theoretically be more airflow in the middle of the powerband.
Look at the logs posted.
Sponsored