95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Here's BlackBoss running a 1:36. You can see a decent amount of time left on the table at Turn 1, the esses, and turn 12 if you have the cajones. Very smooth driving for sure. I believe he's on R7s, though.

Very nice run. It's a solid 1:36. It is mostly the quick line.
Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
Quite a few. To name a few, Corvette GS, Camaro ZL1 1LE, Nissan GTR Nismo, McLaren 570GT, Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche 911 GT2 RS, Z06, Viper ACR, Corvette ZR1, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, etc.

Grand Sport is half a second and the Zl1 1LE almost 2 seconds faster at Laguna Seca.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
...and don't forget the Lambos. their sound is even faster! driven some solid track Mustangs but there are cars and there are "cars". dman

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
Can’t wait for the showdown to happen!
So, is it a 350R or a 350?
Would there really be massive differences in lap times between the two?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Can’t wait for the showdown to happen!
So, is it a 350R or a 350?
Would there really be massive differences in lap times between the two?
Pretty significant difference. Probably about like a PP1 vs. PP2 GT.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
prob not for '19's... will be interesting to see if the non-r cup 2's are as sticky....
19 will have a better tire but still has less tire and much more weight and I'd say it gains a second on a 19 R putting it at a 2 second gap on average. But again this is my hypothesis just like the R running mid 1:30's at road Atlanta which apparently it can. ; )

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The biggest advantage by far on the R is the wheels, TRUST ME!! lol everything else compliments the gains from the wheels and it is phenomenal
Good point. The R probably has a bigger advantage over the regular GT350 when compared to PP1 vs PP2.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest advantage by far on the R is the wheels, TRUST ME!! lol everything else compliments the gains from the wheels and it is phenomenal.
The one problem is that the carbon-fiber wheels are expensive to replace (if you hit a curb hard on a race track). Don't hit a big pothole on the street as well:
Fronts are $4175 each to replace
Rears are more affordable at $3517 each.

I have a receipt when buying four extra 1995 Cobra R wheels for $220 each. That's a big price increase to $15,000 for a set of carbon-fiber wheels. I bought an extra set for track use and racing to get good tire wear over a season of amateur racing. Here:
21Snipes.jpg
21Snipes2.jpg

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
CF is not brittle and much stronger than aluminum and repairable. I do that see the problem. I have had two wheels repaired like new. I do have AL wheels for the street. CF is wonder composite. I have not heard of one CF wheel failure in the R, structural failure. 1 huge reason I bought the R. The wheels R a steal as part of the purchase and worth the price of entry.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Seen my first curbed R wheel this weekend. Owner was smiling about it. I would be in tears. I also had a friend pick up a new spar for 1100. So, not cheap but, not 4 G

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
Seen my first curbed R wheel this weekend. Owner was smiling about it. I would be in tears. I also had a friend pick up a new spar for 1100. So, not cheap but, not 4 G
Indeed, those numbers are scary and could very well drive me off an R. The car as it is edges on my budget limits, breaks the bank but doable (it’s an emotional decision)... but with those CF wheels potential future receipts, damn.
So, risking derailing the thread, are the CF wheels, finally, on the R:
- Insurance-able at buying time?
- Really several grands or can be replaced for much less? (up to $1k seems reasonable, 2x the price of normal ones)
- Do they really get damage beyond repair that easily or not?
Genuinely curious.

@OP: but what are you getting? What’s the future machine breaking records at Road Atlanta? ’19? R? No R?

Cheers

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
CF is not brittle and much stronger than aluminum and repairable. I do that see the problem. I have had two wheels repaired like new. I do have AL wheels for the street. CF is wonder composite. I have not heard of one CF wheel failure in the R, structural failure. 1 huge reason I bought the R. The wheels R a steal as part of the purchase and worth the price of entry.
You haven’t seen Black boss’s wheel?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Indeed, those numbers are scary and could very well drive me off an R. The car as it is edges on my budget limits, breaks the bank but doable (it’s an emotional decision)... but with those CF wheels potential future receipts, damn.
So, risking derailing the thread, are the CF wheels, finally, on the R:
- Insurance-able at buying time?
- Really several grands or can be replaced for much less? (up to $1k seems reasonable, 2x the price of normal ones)
- Do they really get damage beyond repair that easily or not?
Genuinely curious.

@OP: but what are you getting? What’s the future machine breaking records at Road Atlanta? ’19? R? No R?

Cheers
Maybe for used found for less. But new looking at 4k a piece roughly.
Sponsored