Sponsored

I need help. Best/cheapest way to ship wheels/tires and Catback!

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
Needing to ship my corsa catback and my wheels and tires.

Can anyone please show me how they have went about doing this? I have been to lowes/home depot and can not find a box big enough square to fit a wheel/tire in. And I can't find one deep/long enough to fit a catback in.

If anyone has shipped items like this before can you please give me a hand! Lol I have people ready to buy ATM but can't find a way to package them!

Thanks
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'd look for a wheel and tire shop in your area, and try to buy boxes from them. I've seen people shipping wheel/tire packages at UPS before, and they had wheel boxes (presumably from whatever company sold them the package). I'd be that they'd sell you boxes from customer wheels.

JR

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
I'd look for a wheel and tire shop in your area, and try to buy boxes from them. I've seen people shipping wheel/tire packages at UPS before, and they had wheel boxes (presumably from whatever company sold them the package). I'd be that they'd sell you boxes from customer wheels.

JR
I have a discount tire about 30 mins north of me, they might have something I could use. I'm gonna call now lol

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I bought a set of 4 tires/rims for my SHO a few years back from another forum. The seller shipped them FedEx freight and had them in two lots. He placed them face-to-face with cardboard in between to prevent scratches, tied them together with copious amounts of twine and then wrapped them in plastic. Cam from PA to IA with out a hitch.

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
I bought a set of 4 tires/rims for my SHO a few years back from another forum. The seller shipped them FedEx freight and had them in two lots. He placed them face-to-face with cardboard in between to prevent scratches, tied them together with copious amounts of twine and then wrapped them in plastic. Cam from PA to IA with out a hitch.
I didn't think about shipping them that way, I figured I would have to do all 4 individually but that might be an option too! I appreciate it!

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Check out Fed Ex Kinkos. I have found that most of the time their pack and ship service is extremely cheap. You literally just hand them the parts and they wrap them, box them, and ship them.

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
Check out Fed Ex Kinkos. I have found that most of the time their pack and ship service is extremely cheap. You literally just hand them the parts and they wrap them, box them, and ship them.
I'm looking into this, I am reading horrible reviews about fedex shipping centers in my area..:frusty:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Putting two wheels together will be too heavy. You may as well strap them to a pallet and ship them freight at that point.

My new wheels / tires came with the original wheel boxes (too small for the tires) broken down and then the cardboard layers were used on the outside of the wheels to prevent scratches. So we're talking at least 3 layers of cardboard each side. Then nylon straps were cinched around the tires to keep the cardboard in place. Essentially, the tires look almost completely exposed. Works fine. Strapping tape might be a viable substitute for the nylon straps.

You may be able to find sheet cardboard stock cheaper than boxes. Depends on where you live.

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
Putting two wheels together will be too heavy. You may as well strap them to a pallet and ship them freight at that point.

My new wheels / tires came with the original wheel boxes (too small for the tires) broken down and then the cardboard layers were used on the outside of the wheels to prevent scratches. So we're talking at least 3 layers of cardboard each side. Then nylon straps were cinched around the tires to keep the cardboard in place. Essentially, the tires look almost completely exposed. Works fine. Strapping tape might be a viable substitute for the nylon straps.

You may be able to find sheet cardboard stock cheaper than boxes. Depends on where you live.
I saw something online like this also, it makes sense just makes me a little nervous not having the package completely enclosed traveling 600 miles lol

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
If your shipping just the wheel, then you should be able to find a correct size box nearly anywhere, especially something like moving boxes. You'd just need to cut them down to fit to size.

If you're shipping the tire mounted to the rim, a foam sheet and a few pieces of cardboard on the front and back should do the trick. Then make sure to tape up the tire and cardboard several times. Also, I would deflate the tire as well.

A catback will be a bit more tricky though. Best bet is take it to a shipper, they may have a solution to ship it.

I saw something online like this also, it makes sense just makes me a little nervous not having the package completely enclosed traveling 600 miles lol
It's fine. It's how a lot of stores ship tire mounted wheels.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
This. It's how Tire Rack ships full sets of wheels and tires. Mine were actually 4 separate pieces, with sturdy cardboard strapped to the pretty side of the wheels. Worked great.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm looking into this, I am reading horrible reviews about fedex shipping centers in my area..:frusty:
They're god awful South of Atlanta where I used to live. Most "IDGAF" people ever... slow, don't package well, could care less about their job, etc.

I package myself, I drop it off at a UPS store. FedEx is dead to me.

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
I assume this is the way you are describing?
Screenshot_20160810-222114.jpg