Sponsored

I need help. Best/cheapest way to ship wheels/tires and Catback!

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I work for a LTL company (XPO Logistics, Formally Con-Way Freight) and there are some pretty bad handlers out there. I would say box them up, put them on a pallet and either band them, or ratchet strap them down, then shrink wrap them. I have personally done this for customers that drop items off. DON'T use the cheapest place either, their the cheapest usually for a reason and its not a good 1.
Sponsored

Joey_H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang, 1982 Mustang GT
I've found FedEx to be less expensive than UPS to ship wheels.

OP
OP
kroy11

kroy11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Manual GT
Soo..here is how my experience went, wrapped the wheels exactly how it was pictured, but added a layer of bubble wrap and stretch wrapped them up.

Took them to fedex and they said they would have to put them in a box and they weren't supposed to ship that way. Alright how much is a box? $25 a piece, he said I would need 2, total weight 220lbs, total comes out to $390 to ship to Oklahoma.

No way in hell am I paying almost $400 to ship them, I'll drive them there before that happens. So he tries to see what he can do..an hour later he says here's what I can do, ship them like you have them wrapped, $2000 insured..

$100 shipped.

Went from a nightmare to much needed relief. Lol anyway moral of the story don't get screwed on shipping costs, some of them might try to work with you a little! Lol

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Soo..here is how my experience went, wrapped the wheels exactly how it was pictured, but added a layer of bubble wrap and stretch wrapped them up.

Took them to fedex and they said they would have to put them in a box and they weren't supposed to ship that way. Alright how much is a box? $25 a piece, he said I would need 2, total weight 220lbs, total comes out to $390 to ship to Oklahoma.

No way in hell am I paying almost $400 to ship them, I'll drive them there before that happens. So he tries to see what he can do..an hour later he says here's what I can do, ship them like you have them wrapped, $2000 insured..

$100 shipped.

Went from a nightmare to much needed relief. Lol anyway moral of the story don't get screwed on shipping costs, some of them might try to work with you a little! Lol
Fedex charges a fee for it being a nonstandard item (as in, not a box), but it's reasonable and not excessive. Sounds like the guy at fedex didn't have a clue.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve shipped prior 87-93 5.0 h-pipes before - covered the open ends with cardboard, then wrapped the entire assembly with bubble wrap and placed label right on it (using clear tape to adhere it securely to the bubble wrap).

Greyhound is inexpensive for large bulky items, BUT they do not deliver to residential or business addresses. The buyer/seller has to go to an actual Greyhound Depot (usually located in or at outskirts large city) to either ship or pick up a shipment. So it’s not as convenient as FedEx, UPS, uShip, etc.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Generally why Ive refused to ship the wheel/tire set that I have, I think that shipping costs make it outrageous and drives a potential buyer away as I refuse to "eat" any of the packing material/shipping costs, let alone trying to tote them around get weighed.
Sponsored