Sponsored

I know the S550s can’t do the cam chop but is there anyway to get it to chop? Not tune chop.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I’ve always loved the chop camming sound. Is there anyway to get it to chop? I don’t like the tune chopping tho.
Sponsored

Lonniesgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lonnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I’ve always loved the chop camming sound. Is there anyway to get it to chop? I don’t like the tune chopping tho.

Pull a coil off. 😀

The only way I know is thru the tune or maybe a set of cams.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
With dual overhead cams and variable valve timing, there's no need for the Coyote to have a choppy idle. It's literally a best-of-both-worlds scenario. You can have good low end torque, and still breathe at high RPM. You might get a little bit of chop with aggressive aftermarket cams, but your car won't be very fun to drive on the street any more. That's why some people run a ghost tune to get a noticeably choppy idle, and at that point it's just like the BMW kids that run crackle/burble tunes - noise for no reason.

A single cam engine like the LS will chop with an aggressive cam because of the design limitations associated with having only one camshaft. You have to run aggressive lobe separation angles and high lift, which leads to at-idle misfires which give that choppy idle.

Racin4ds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Keep in mind that "Tune chop" or "Ghost cam" is really your cams just with the VVTI system rolling them to the highest duration for high RPM breathing. Its a real cam, and performs like one with larger LSA and longer duration!

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With dual overhead cams and variable valve timing, there's no need for the Coyote to have a choppy idle. It's literally a best-of-both-worlds scenario. You can have good low end torque, and still breathe at high RPM. You might get a little bit of chop with aggressive aftermarket cams, but your car won't be very fun to drive on the street any more. That's why some people run a ghost tune to get a noticeably choppy idle, and at that point it's just like the BMW kids that run crackle/burble tunes - noise for no reason.

A single cam engine like the LS will chop with an aggressive cam because of the design limitations associated with having only one camshaft. You have to run aggressive lobe separation angles and high lift, which leads to at-idle misfires which give that choppy idle.
Sometimes, there are posts on this forum, that I wish I could like it 10 times. This is one of those posts.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I had a magic stick 3 camshaft in my old ws6 fbody. Pair that with a very stiff race clutch and it's the perfect storm for absolutely zero drivability around town. If you ever experienced a true choppy cam you would appreciate regular cam specs at idle. Much better. Anyway, a ghost cam tune is the only proper way.
Sponsored