Sponsored

I got a new job, now wife wants me to get rid of the Mustang....

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Charger Scat Pack? :shrug:
Sponsored

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Wow, this is the kind of thing that makes me thankful yet again for what (who) I have.

I originally planned to buy a Focus.
Mr Klumpikat said, Ugh, please, get a Mustang instead.
I said, OK, I can get the 2014, there are lots of good deals/holiday incentives right now (this was Thanksgiving 2014).
He said No, we need the independent rear suspension. :D
(He rarely drives, by the way.)

Needless to say, buying this thing unexpectedly put a much-needed positive outlook on my life. (I suffer from depression.)

I just quit my job (on good terms). Last day was today.
My new job is 3x the commute with a drastic cut in pay, but it is a whole new adventure and possibly a new career path.

Getting rid of the mustang had never even been considered. I expected my "allowance" to decrease quite a bit...only seems a logical and fair compromise. :shrug:

Unless your finances are in dire straits or you're planning on filling up the car with kids, I would be concerned as to the real reasoning behind why you are being asked to give up the Mustang you love, especially since it is now less expensive to keep it :ninja: Good luck.
At least you don't have to park at the job where the guy dumped soda on your car

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Take her to the Audi dealership and let her try the base spec lowest power diesel a4
Then remind her that she's not getting any younger as so.... The mustang gives you a thrill unlike that dreadful dull diesel box... <insert name of colleague> has started seeing a much younger woman, he must be having a mid life crisis... Thank god you have the mustang in your life and a shorter commute so you can spend time with your lovely wife.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
First and foremost, everyone needs to do whatever works for them and their partner because it's their marriage
Agreed 100%.

Maybe it is the word 'letting' that I read here that is so awful to me. Finances can cause so much resentment between spouses. We combine finances, too, but it seems to me (in my personal opinion) a major purchase such as a car should be a mutual discussion based on communication, common sense and respect, regardless of who makes more. :shrug: (I will never make as much as he does, but remember I was the one who fully intended on buying a Focus :p)

But the notion of attempting to take away someone's happiness/therapy is utterly unfathomable to me. :brokenheart:

Sponsored

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
At least you don't have to park at the job where the guy dumped soda on your car
True that, my friend.

The icing is now I get to work in an industry that revolves around cars! :D

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
With out going through every page here, long story short,
Last February got a call from a dealer that I've shown some interest in a gt350. He called and said he got one last allocation for a 16 GT 350. Now I've already got a 15 GT/PP that I've SC'ed, lowered, full exhaust, tint,,, you can see where I'm going with this. Dealer informed me I got 1 hour to decide other wise he's got to call next guy on list. As I'm thinking I could sell my 15 GT or trade but I better call my wife and let her know I'd get rid of the GT to get the GT350,,,,,,,
Her response "why would you get rid of your GT I thought you loved that car"
God I love my wife!!! She gets it!
image.jpg

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
With out going through every page here, long story short,
Last February got a call from a dealer that I've shown some interest in a gt350. He called and said he got one last allocation for a 16 GT 350. Now I've already got a 15 GT/PP that I've SC'ed, lowered, full exhaust, tint,,, you can see where I'm going with this. Dealer informed me I got 1 hour to decide other wise he's got to call next guy on list. As I'm thinking I could sell my 15 GT or trade but I better call my wife and let her know I'd get rid of the GT to get the GT350,,,,,,,
Her response "why would you get rid of your GT I thought you loved that car"
God I love my wife!!! She gets it!
I'd say you BOTH get it. ;)

Congrats on the stable :ford:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Back story...

My commute doubled 18 months ago going from 16 miles one way to 32 mile one way. I was spending 2.5 hours a day almost sitting in a car in traffic.

I bought my mustang so I could at least enjoy traffic.

Well, I got a new job and my commute will go back to the old 16 miles one way. The wife said, good, now can you get rid of the mustang and get a more practical car?

She is a hater. Thinks the car is too small.

Problem is, at the moment, there are no cars with manual transmissions that excite me. She wants another Audi, but the new S4 is a lowly 340 HP and DSG only.

Looks like she is going to be disappointed as I intend to keep the Mustang for a while.
Good on you. You are just as entitled to get whatever enjoyment you can on a 16 mile commute as you were for the 32 miler.

I liked my job well enough, but there were days when the drive in to work and the drive home (only 11 miles, total) were each more enjoyable than the time in between them. The drive home in particular was rewarding in different ways than anything I was paid to get done, and a nice way of putting the 'work face' away for the day.

The value of you being in a more upbeat frame of mind when you get home doesn't seem to have occurred to Ms. GoBlues38 yet.

Norm

Ragtop1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum Ecoboost Screw
Before my then girlfriend and I (now wife of 14 years) moved in together, we sat down and split up the expenses fairly. Since I made twice what she made, I took on a proportional share of the expenses. We had seperate checking accounts. When we were married, we saw no reason to change what was working. Still working to this day. She has her fun money and I do as well. My biggest fear is dying suddenly and her selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a maid and a whore that at any time could be exchanged for newer models. ;)

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Why is everyone giving the OP so much crap? He already said in the original post that he wasn't gonna do it. I'm guessing she just has to spend more time in the mustang than most of our wives do. Mine likes it, but not everyone likes a sportscar. If she's forced to spend a lot of time in the car and it's paid for by a common pool of finances then she's entitled to an opinion, whether it flys with him or not. My wife even has her days where she doesn't exactly enjoy the feeling me of flying a 6 speed, but then again..a few days ago I punched it on an on-ramp and suddenly she says "take it to 120!"

So there ya go...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My wife even has her days where she doesn't exactly enjoy the feeling me of flying a 6 speed, but then again..a few days ago I punched it on an on-ramp and suddenly she says "take it to 120!"
My wife tells me to slow down... So she can catch Pokemon. I don't slow down.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Why is everyone giving the OP so much crap?
I dont think anyone is honestly but rather about the wife.

Women don't get it usually; few do. I guess that's why I choose not to be married. No one is going to tell me what to do with my money that I made. If she wants to work and buy whatever car she wants, good for her, but my choice is mine.

The WORST are the dont work who also think what mine is mine and whats yours is mine too. Another pro of not getting married these days. Times have changed a lot since 10-20 year ago.
Sponsored