Sponsored

I bought a WRECKED mustang GT 350! Can I save?

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
In my younger days, I used to build street rods and my brother and I rebuilt wrecked Corvettes. I would encourage you to do as much as you can, yourself. Take your time, do things right and don't take shortcuts. Tag everything you remove and take pictures before removing it. Even if it is junk that can't be salvaged. Unless you are very experienced at doing this type of project, everything you remove, good or bad, will serve as a point of reference.

There will be times when you will feel like giving up and selling the car as is, or parting it out. When that happens, take a break from it for a few days. If you don't know how to use a cutting torch or welder, I strongly suggest you invest in them and practice.

One more thing, do not attempt to paint your car, yourself. Modern paint can be dangerous if you breathe it, or expose your skin to it.
Yes sirr appreciate the encouragement I need all i can get and yes ill try to do everything myself.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I have Google , YouTube.. and trial and error
It’s your money. Do what makes you happy. Most importantly enjoy the journey. Take pictures of the progress.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Shout out to these guys for hooking me up with some free parts
âś…frame rails
20200918_112801.jpg

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Good luck - if you succeed you will have a very cool, very fun car to blast around in. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I think something else you should consider is what is your end goal. Will this be a 1 to 1 restoration? Are you just wanting the car good enough to race on a track? Is the goal to get close to factory but you’re ok with it not being perfect? How you answer that question will have an impact on what you do. You asked earlier about using the cheaper gt part, that’s not a restoration, that’s not 1 to 1. That said you can rebuild this close to what it was for less by cutting those corners and only you and the lap time will ever know the difference.
I’ve seen some pretty buggered cars slapped back together with tube frame and zip ties through body panels tossed violently through slalom courses and drift events. This was once a mighty gt350, what it will be next is up to you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I think something else you should consider is what is your end goal. Will this be a 1 to 1 restoration? Are you just wanting the car good enough to race on a track? Is the goal to get close to factory but you’re ok with it not being perfect? How you answer that question will have an impact on what you do. You asked earlier about using the cheaper gt part, that’s not a restoration, that’s not 1 to 1. That said you can rebuild this close to what it was for less by cutting those corners and only you and the lap time will ever know the difference.
I’ve seen some pretty buggered cars slapped back together with tube frame and zip ties through body panels tossed violently through slalom courses and drift events. This was once a mighty gt350, what it will be next is up to you.
Definitely, yeh just trying to kick some ideas around but the quality of the repair as far as spec it will be 1 to 1 for sure!

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I thought you said that the frame rails were OK?

I'm so confused.
The part that mounts to the reinforcement sustained some damage. So just a small part of the front section will get changed out. But the boys at Vtuned just cut the whole thing off they're donor car. Lol

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I thought you said that the frame rails were OK?

I'm so confused.

The driver side frame rail was not ok.. you can see the damage in the video.

OP: I was a body guy for years. This is not that bad. There are plenty of GT parts that will fit the 350, you may be dealing with a little more weight but the point of rebuilding a car like this is to save some cash. 20-30 pounds won't matter in the end you're a thin guy :)

Good luck! Pull your parts, get that frame rail on and mock up your rad support. It doesn't look like there's too much to be done here besides a few cuts and some welding!

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The driver side frame rail was not ok.. you can see the damage in the video.

OP: I was a body guy for years. This is not that bad. There are plenty of GT parts that will fit the 350, you may be dealing with a little more weight but the point of rebuilding a car like this is to save some cash. 20-30 pounds won't matter in the end you're a thin guy :)

Good luck! Pull your parts, get that frame rail on and mock up your rad support. It doesn't look like there's too much to be done here besides a few cuts and some welding!
that's my language.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The struggle is real when trying to find used oem parts for a GT350. Nevertheless I am super excited to see how this stacks up against my c7z. But hopefully thats sooner then later.
20200919_110145.jpg
Sponsored