Sponsored

Hypertech Tuner?

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]From Hypertech's Tuning Manager...

I want to say thanks to Mustang6g member "CustomS550" for working with us recently to ensure that our tuning is up to snuff. As he mentioned above it didn't appear that the boost on his 2015 EcoBoost Mustang was where we expected it to be. We pulled the tune from his Max Energy 2.0 remotely and saw that we had in fact left out some tuning changes on the manual transmission calibrations. We got in a 2017 EBM MT locally, and verified that the power was low. We fixed the tune, drove the car again, and knew right away this fixed the issue! We immediately setup an update for
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"CustomS550"[/FONT][/FONT] to verify all was well on his car as well. Initial impression was that this tune is much better, and he's going to report back further after the weekend. We went ahead and setup an update for all Max Energy 2.0 Power Programmers, so anyone who updates will get the latest and greatest tunes. The affected all of the "MAX" tunes for 87, 89, 91, and 93+. The ECON tunes are not affected, and the automatic trans Mustangs are not affected.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] Thanks again for the help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"CustomS550"[/FONT][/FONT]. You not only helped us, but also anyone else who gets an ME2.0 for their manual trans EcoBoost Mustang. Thanks![/FONT][/FONT]

When was the revised tune updated on your website?

I purchased the tuner and subsequently updated it on Sunday afternoon it, was flashed in my manual transmission equipped car right afterwards. Do I need to redo the whole process again?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Either Wednesday or yesterday so you need to return it to stock and update it again. I had to do the update process twice for the unit to take the update, so keep that in mind.

Let us know what you think of the tune when all said and done, including your installed mods, if any!

When was the revised tune updated on your website?

I purchased the tuner and subsequently updated it on Sunday afternoon it, was flashed in my manual transmission equipped car right afterwards. Do I need to redo the whole process again?

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
You're very welcome!

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]From Hypertech's Tuning Manager...

I want to say thanks to Mustang6g member "CustomS550" for working with us recently to ensure that our tuning is up to snuff. As he mentioned above it didn't appear that the boost on his 2015 EcoBoost Mustang was where we expected it to be. We pulled the tune from his Max Energy 2.0 remotely and saw that we had in fact left out some tuning changes on the manual transmission calibrations. We got in a 2017 EBM MT locally, and verified that the power was low. We fixed the tune, drove the car again, and knew right away this fixed the issue! We immediately setup an update for
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"CustomS550"[/FONT][/FONT] to verify all was well on his car as well. Initial impression was that this tune is much better, and he's going to report back further after the weekend. We went ahead and setup an update for all Max Energy 2.0 Power Programmers, so anyone who updates will get the latest and greatest tunes. The affected all of the "MAX" tunes for 87, 89, 91, and 93+. The ECON tunes are not affected, and the automatic trans Mustangs are not affected.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] Thanks again for the help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"CustomS550"[/FONT][/FONT]. You not only helped us, but also anyone else who gets an ME2.0 for their manual trans EcoBoost Mustang. Thanks![/FONT][/FONT]

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Is it OK to use the 91 tune with the CAI and Catted Downpipe? Or does it have to be the 93+? I am just seeing the 93+ on the dyno sheet. Thanks

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is it OK to use the 91 tune with the CAI and Catted Downpipe? Or does it have to be the 93+? I am just seeing the 93+ on the dyno sheet. Thanks
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sorry if the dyno graph is confusing on this point. We only showed the 93+ tune with mods on the dyno graph to keep it legible. When you add pulls for 4 different octanes, plus stock it gets pretty messy.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] All of our tunes work just fine with mods. We tested them all with bolt-ons, and they work great. We expanded the torque model and limiters slightly on all of the 87/89/91/93+MAX tunes to account for the additional airflow gained by bolt-on mods, so you should get the maximum power possible out of your mods. The 87/89 ECON tunes are fine with mods as well, but the stock torque model and limiters will probably restrict the performance gains, just like the stock tune would.[/FONT][/FONT]

Sponsored

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sorry if the dyno graph is confusing on this point. We only showed the 93+ tune with mods on the dyno graph to keep it legible. When you add pulls for 4 different octanes, plus stock it gets pretty messy.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]All of our tunes work just fine with mods. We tested them all with bolt-ons, and they work great. We expanded the torque model and limiters slightly on all of the 87/89/91/93+MAX tunes to account for the additional airflow gained by bolt-on mods, so you should get the maximum power possible out of your mods. The 87/89 ECON tunes are fine with mods as well, but the stock torque model and limiters will probably restrict the performance gains, just like the stock tune would.[/FONT][/FONT]
Thanks for the help.

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
Either Wednesday or yesterday so you need to return it to stock and update it again. I had to do the update process twice for the unit to take the update, so keep that in mind.

Let us know what you think of the tune when all said and done, including your installed mods, if any!
So I did as recommended.

Everything went as expected but how would I know if the update process worked?

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Once flashed you should be seeing a similar boost curve as posted on the previous page.

So I did as recommended.

Everything went as expected but how would I know if the update process worked?

OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I went ahead and purchased the tuner to give it a try and below are my impressions;

1. The tuner accommodates all of my current performance needs such as ones discussed in the previous posts.
2. The tunes retain factory-like engine refinement, which to me is a big deal as our 2.3 is a coarse engine.
3. The tuner is one of the best values in the "sea" of Mustang tuners.
4. The company has excellent customer support.

Regarding the power gains, that is difficult for me to address, because this is a very subjective matter. I'm personally after factory-like smoothness and longevity of the drivetrain in my Mustang while being able to use a high-flow downpipe in support of less turbo / engine killing back-pressure. Something else to keep in mind are the automatic trans. tuning strategies between the various offerings. I have a Manual, so those I can't comment on.

I started out with an Unleashed 93-octane tune with only 500 miles on the clock and used it for 5000 miles until I personally no longer felt safe for the engine with it hitting 22 psi in fourth gear. But damn, was the car quick at those pressure levels! I then purchased the Livernois tuner and have been using it with their 91/93-octane tune with mixed results. My particular engine / mod. configuration did not seem to like their 93-octane tune as the OAR kept on dropping from the ideal -1 ratio down to as low as -0.6 at times, and I could hear what I believe was pinging at peak engine loads. With Livernois not having access to my car on their dyno, they couldn't do much to help sort this issue out, so I felt that I should be moving on to something else. Power-wise, Livernois tune does make plenty of it while still maintaining factory boost levels, however they extend the powerband further to about 6000rpm, at least with a high-flow downpipe. With the Hypertech 93+ tune loaded, the power seems to equal that of Livernois' until about 5000rpm at which point Livernois takes over. Both companies have specific reasoning and collected data behind their tuning strategies, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went ahead and purchased the tuner to give it a try and below are my impressions;

1. The tuner accommodates all of my current performance needs such as ones discussed in the previous posts.
2. The tunes retain factory-like engine refinement, which to me is a big deal as our 2.3 is a coarse engine.
3. The tuner is one of the best values in the "sea" of Mustang tuners.
4. The company has excellent customer support.

Regarding the power gains, that is difficult for me to address, because this is a very subjective matter. I'm personally after factory-like smoothness and longevity of the drivetrain in my Mustang while being able to use a high-flow downpipe in support of less turbo / engine killing back-pressure. Something else to keep in mind are the automatic trans. tuning strategies between the various offerings. I have a Manual, so those I can't comment on.

I started out with an Unleashed 93-octane tune with only 500 miles on the clock and used it for 5000 miles until I personally no longer felt safe for the engine with it hitting 22 psi in fourth gear. But damn, was the car quick at those pressure levels! I then purchased the Livernois tuner and have been using it with their 91/93-octane tune with mixed results. My particular engine / mod. configuration did not seem to like their 93-octane tune as the OAR kept on dropping from the ideal -1 ratio down to as low as -0.6 at times, and I could hear what I believe was pinging at peak engine loads. With Livernois not having access to my car on their dyno, they couldn't do much to help sort this issue out, so I felt that I should be moving on to something else. Power-wise, Livernois tune does make plenty of it while still maintaining factory boost levels, however they extend the powerband further to about 6000rpm, at least with a high-flow downpipe. With the Hypertech 93+ tune loaded, the power seems to equal that of Livernois' until about 5000rpm at which point Livernois takes over. Both companies have specific reasoning and collected data behind their tuning strategies, so it's just a matter of personal preference.
We want to say thanks for the compliments on our tuning, and our company. Your summary of the multiple tunes you've tried is spot on! There are many great tuners out there, and they each have their own take on how to make your EB Mustangs even better. We put a lot of hard work and thought into our tuning, and packed our Programmer full of options to let anyone customize the settings to create just about any tune you would want.

Speaking of customizing, here are our suggested settings for several types of tunes you can tailor with our Max Energy 2.0. These are for a stock car, so if you have bolt-ons you can probably benefit from bumping the shifts/revs up +200RPM from these suggestions.

MILEAGE
-TUNING: CHOOSE HYPERTECH TUNING FOR OCTANE YOU USE
-REV: STOCK
-THR RESPONSE - NORMAL MODE: MILEAGE
-THR RESPONSE - SPORT MODE : STOCK
-SHIFT POINTS: -200
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - NORMAL MODE: STREET
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - SPORT MODE: STREET
-SHIFT RESPONSE: HYPER-MILEAGE
-TCC SLIP: STREET
-FANS:STOCK

STREET
-TUNING:CHOOSE HYPERTECH TUNING FOR OCTANE YOU USE
-THR RESPONSE - NORMAL MODE: STREET
-THR RESPONSE - SPORT MODE: STREET
-SHIFT POINTS: -100
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - NORMAL MODE: STREET
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - SPORT MODE: STREET
-SHIFT RESPONSE: STREET
- TCC SLIP: STREET
-FANS: STOCK

SPORT -TUNING:CHOOSE HYPERTECH TUNING FOR OCTANE YOU USE
-THR RESPONSE - NORMAL MODE: SPORT
-THR RESPONSE - SPORT MODE: SPORT
-SHIFT POINTS: STOCK
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - NORMAL MODE: SPORT
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - SPORT MODE: SPORT
-SHIFT RESPONSE: SPORT

TRACK
-TUNING: CHOOSE HYPERTECH TUNING FOR OCTANE YOU USE
-THR RESPONSE - NORMAL MODE: TRACK
-THR RESPONSE - SPORT MODE: PERFORMANCE
-SHIFT POINTS:STOCK
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - NORMAL MODE: TRACK
-SHIFT FIRMNESS - SPORT MODE: PERFORMANCE
-SHIFT RESPONSE: TRACK

Sponsored
OP
OP
CustomS550

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Im in south florida for a road trip, and there's Something in this south florida air, because the car is hauling ass down here! Seeing a little over 20psi in the meat of the powerband. Could also be something with the tune. I'm loving it!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Im in south florida for a road trip, and there's Something in this south florida air, because the car is hauling ass down here! Seeing a little over 20psi in the meat of the powerband. Could also be something with the tune. I'm loving it!
Great to hear!

Anxiously awaiting Hypertech to get their hands on a 2018 EB w/A10 so they can offer same level of fun to us 2018 owners! :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hypertech:

Any updates on a module for 2018 EB’s w/10R80?

:)