Hurricane Ida

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I have been living in the gulf south my entire life. never been in the path of a hurricane. luck changes today, may get to see the inside of the eye of a cat 2 when it reaches my house. Really just hoping I still have a house tomorrow morning though. and that my shop doesn't collapse on my 71. anyone else in the path of this thing? Looks like she could be a cat 5 before landfall.

winds are already picking up and we're still 15 hours from it reaching us.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'm on the western edge of the cone and expecting 75MPH gusts. Believe me when I tell you, you do not want to see the eye of a cat2 storm in person. You had best hunker down and prepare for the worse.
hwindy-h.gif

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
No, but keep us posted what it is like and doing. It would be interesting

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
well, still a few hours till the worst, still supposed to be coming directly to us, but as of right now, we've been outside drinking most of the day, finish cleaning some stuff up, thinking about breaking out the kite right now.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How's it going. How far from the coast are you.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
How's it going. How far from the coast are you.
I am about halfway between BR and NOLA. winds are picking up for sure. got parts of some of my trees coming down in the highest gusts, probably around 70-80mph right now. steady wind is only 30-40 at the moment though. the real rain has started though.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Those winds come in fast, and leave slowly
it's getting heavy outside. lights are flickering. not long now. hoping I have enough time with power for supper to finish in the oven, another 30-40 minutes.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7 foot storm surge on the border, coming in as a cat 4. Tie everything down your ready for big blow

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you lose power, it could be days weeks until it back. Wishing you the best outcome

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Once you lose power, it could be days weeks until it back. Wishing you the best outcome
yeah, got enough gas to run the gen for a couple of days. it shifted east enough that the camp may be good and still have power, in which case I'll be moving down there until we have power back. might be able to convince work to let me just remote in, but I'll still have to get the kid to school....so who knows. as long as the house holds together, and the shop as well....

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Storm was a non event in Lafayette. Wiped out stores and gas stations, but no bad damage.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Running my wireless off my generator right now. Was a rough and windy night. got lucky, big tree missed the house by less than 10 feet, we got to watch it come down though. lots of messes, everyone immediately around me came out mostly unscathed, lots though not so lucky, many houses/trailers with trees through them.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Running my wireless off my generator right now. Was a rough and windy night. got lucky, big tree missed the house by less than 10 feet, we got to watch it come down though. lots of messes, everyone immediately around me came out mostly unscathed, lots though not so lucky, many houses/trailers with trees through them.
That is good news Al about the lack of damage....!

I have never been through a hurricane, but my wife has been through quite a few.
She grew up in Puerto Rico in a middle class neighborhood and no one ever experienced home damage... and the hurricane does not lose much strength going over the tiny island.
Her house was filled CMU walls, anchored to the ground with an anchored roof. They had no glass windows, only screens and aluminum closeable shutters. Also no carpet, there was only tile floors so you could squeegee the water out.
She left in the '80's.... long before hurricane Maria in '17; Maria was a cat 5 and reeked havoc on the entire island. The house she lived in survived with no damage after Katrina we were told.
Sponsored

Last edited: