Sponsored

How's the V6?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
General question, I know. But I have specific inquieries such as asking for a stock dyno chart. I am also curious if you can rev it past 6.5k. Lastly, I read online that it can do the quarter mile below 14 seconda and is a second slower for the 0-60 compared to the GT. Coupled with the fact that it has a better fuel economy rating, it actually seems more enticing over the V8. Right now, it seems like I can only justify my own GT by the opinion of me thinking it sounds cooler.

So really, how have yoy guys enjoyed tne fastback in comparison to the GT and Ecoboost?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not a stock dyno chart, but here's one of mine - this was with a MPT 93 PRX tune, but with some false knock pulling power, CAI, ported intakes, catback exhaust. You can see both curves are pretty linear/steady, no drop offs or anything crazy.

MVIMG_20190106_140853.jpg

You can definitely rev past 6.5, especially with a tune. On my dyno chart you can see I took it just shy of 7500.

As far as quarter mile, my car is a plus weight car due to my heavier wheels, added suspension components, and the big sub box in the trunk with two 12s, but I've run a 13.884 at 100.55 for my best ET, best trap speed was 101.29 (that was after cat deletes and 3.73 gears in addition to what I said before). I've only been twice and definitely not getting the best launches (best 60 ft is 2.134)

For fuel economy, that depends entirely on how you drive. I enjoy driving my car and will take off from any red light where I'm the first car and average more in the 85mph range on the highway. Right now my car is showing 17.8mpg, usually a little lower but I did a road trip across the state a couple weeks ago and took it easy (cruise control set to 79). Plenty of guys claim more around 22-26 range and that they "drive it hard", but based on my experience...they definitely don't. GTs can also get better fuel economy than I do because at the same speed they are running lower RPMs and have a wider power band so they don't have to push it as hard as we do.

That said, I love my car and planning on keeping it for at least 3 more years, hopefully longer. If I go for the fully (relatively) financially responsible route, it'd be for 8 years while I finish off my student loans and try to save for some other things (like a house) when I'm done with the car payment. With my mods and tune, it's a blast to drive.

Only seat time I have with other S550s is the Ecoboost I test drove when I got my car and I didn't like the power delivery there as much which is why I got this one. If you're looking to get around 350-400hp, get the Eco and turn up the boost with tune and downpipe. If you want to be different and looking more at 450-500, get the V6 and boost it. Beyond that and if sound is super important, get the GT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The V6 without a tune is just embarrassingly bad and lazy motor with atrocious rev hang. With a tune (in my case Unleashed) it was transformed. The brakes are the crappiest Ford could dig up in the parts bin - get some GT 4-pot castoffs for cheap and the stock suspension is tolerable but would benefit greatly from the same chassis fixes and upgrades the rest of the ecosystem uses.

My 'long term' DD ave is 21mpg from my V8, and the V6 will probably do a couple points better. But choosing the engine based on MPG is just silly.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The brakes are the crappiest Ford could dig up in the parts bin - get some GT 4-pot castoffs for cheap and the stock suspension is tolerable but would benefit greatly from the same chassis fixes and upgrades the rest of the ecosystem uses.
That's also true for the base Ecoboost though FWIW. Not exclusive to just the V6, but still could have been made better for the base across the board.

Also worth mentioning it here since you started to bring it up, basically everything will fit between the models with the exception of some specific bracing (strut tower brace, some after k-members where the transmission interferes, etc). A lot of parts may say Eco/GT (like the Ford Track suspension pack), but they'll bolt up just fine.

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I can't comment on the 3.7 in the current gen mustang. But I owned a 2013 with that motor and I thought, and still think, it was a pretty decent motor. I averaged 27 mpg and could get as much as 35 on the freeway. It never felt like it lacked for power to me, but I also wasn't trying to race it. Overall I'd recommend the motor to some one that wants a fun fast car but doesn't have a need to be the biggest dog.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
IF the EcoBoost block was stronger and it wasn't a semi-open deck design I would have gotten the EcoBoost, but since it was inherently weak to begin with I couldn't justify getting one with how I like to mod my cars for performance. I have owned two 3.7L Mustangs (S197 and last version S550). I thoroughly enjoy this engine. Its happy to take any bolt on mods and is practically bulletproof. The only downside is lack of aftermarket support since Ford killed the engine. It is particularly frustrating in the boost department, but installing a ProCharger unit (though expensive unless bought used) is a great and easy way to get into boosting this engine. ProCharger kits are readily available and the support for the unit is good. Turbo on the other hand only currently has a few of options; NPG single kit, JMP custom built kits (long wait and currently not taking orders), and EcoBoost conversion (a complete do-it-yourself build requiring you have experience in turbo mechanics and operation).

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IF the EcoBoost block was stronger and it wasn't a semi-open deck design I would have gotten the EcoBoost, but since it was inherently weak to begin with I couldn't justify getting one with how I like to mod my cars for performance. I have owned two 3.7L Mustangs (S197 and last version S550). I thoroughly enjoy this engine. Its happy to take any bolt on mods and is practically bulletproof. The only downside is lack of aftermarket support since Ford killed the engine. It is particularly frustrating in the boost department, but installing a ProCharger unit (though expensive unless bought used) is a great and easy way to get into boosting this engine. ProCharger kits are readily available and the support for the unit is good. Turbo on the other hand only currently has a few of options; NPG single kit, JMP custom built kits (long wait and currently not taking orders), and EcoBoost conversion (a complete do-it-yourself build requiring you have experience in turbo mechanics and operation).
Ford discontinued it??

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ford discontinued it??
2017 was the last year they offered the V6 in the Mustang. With 2018 it become GT or Ecoboost only.

The 3.5L Ecoboost is still offered on other models though and apparently the 3.7 is the base engine on the Lincoln Continental.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 was the last year they offered the V6 in the Mustang. With 2018 it become GT or Ecoboost only.

The 3.5L Ecoboost is still offered on other models though and apparently the 3.7 is the base engine on the Lincoln Continental.
That sucks. The V6 is amazing. I think Ford should put the 3.5L with a turbo in the Mustang.

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
They won’t do a v6 turbo because it would rival 5.0’s performance. With a super or turbo the 3.7 easily makes 400 hp. It came from the factory with good forged internals and variable valve timing which allows it to boost well and make good use of high octane gas. I remember reading an article about a guy who had gone through several 3.7’s in boosted applications. The motor safely peaks in the 450-480hp range.

In the end they killed it to simplify the lineup and promote the 4 cyl to better meet Obama fleet regulations. It was done intentionally by offering the v6 without a premium or sport package from 2015 on. Rip little six. You were the best of budget motors.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Tire tech has come a long way since the 60's, but 300 HP, 0-60 in 6 sec. and 14 sec. 1/4's, were muscle car numbers back then, even if it is a little sluggish off the line.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Tire tech has come a long way since the 60's, but 300 HP, 0-60 in 6 sec. and 14 sec. 1/4's, were muscle car numbers back then, even if it is a little sluggish off the line.
I have to chime in here. When I was a car crazy kid in the 80’s we were super excited that the awesome 85 Mustang GT had OVER 200 hp (210) and 0-60 in the mid-6s. Then the even more amazing 225hp GT starting in 87. Everyone who had one had swagger. My brain was wired then and it’s hard not to keep thinking that way. Your “base” “economy” Cyclone has 300hp (on 87), same as a Cobra R back in the day and a 0-60 in the mid 5s (C&D numbers, so reliable), quarter under 14 at about 100. Still sounds exotic to me. Would have blown away the L98 corvettes of the day.

Sorry to carry on. I was out of the car hobby for a while, then one day happened to get upgraded to a 2011 v6 when renting. I didn’t know about the cyclone and expected the Cologne 210hp v6 Id rented before and liked. I still remember dropping the hammer and being shocked at the surge in power at mid rpm, screaming to redline just making more and more power. It was amazing. I remember opening the hood and looking at the big, flat dohc heads (like the Ferraris of the 80’s+) and wires going to the cam phasers indicating vvt. And no stupid plastic engine cover.

That kicked off my mid-life car obsession. I now have a supercharged Coyote which is awesome in its own way but let me tell you, I can’t hit it in 1st or 2nd at full power anymore, and 3rd gets to felony speeds way too quickly. There’s hardly anywhere I can enjoy it. Not a lot of fun on the street, tho I wouldn’t give it up.

The Cyclone is special to me and I still love seeing that horse and tribars on the hatchlid of an S550. Enjoy your sweet cars.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I remember opening the hood and looking at the big, flat dohc heads (like the Ferraris of the 80’s+) and wires going to the cam phasers indicating vvt. And no stupid plastic engine cover.
Yeah, It looks like a real engine should.