Howling Sound at 70 MPH....

dukegsd13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2005 SuperDuty & 2019 Mustang PP2
Hey guys. Did a search didn't find anything. I've noticed a howling sound right at 70 MPH. I'd say 69 thru 71. I'm going with the PP2 tires but thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone else with this experience? Clutch in no noise = tires / bearings, etc. Thanks RM
Sponsored

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
See this thread

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/wheel-bearing-or-driveling-vibes.119950/#post-2645500

I was having a similar noise on mine. When I took it into the dealer they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with the bearings but they noticed the tires were cupped. They rotated them and it seemed to get better but it wasn’t totally gone. A few thousand miles later it seems to be getting louder again. Not sure if it really is the tires or not.

OP
OP
dukegsd13

dukegsd13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2005 SuperDuty & 2019 Mustang PP2
See this thread

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/wheel-bearing-or-driveling-vibes.119950/#post-2645500

I was having a similar noise on mine. When I took it into the dealer they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with the bearings but they noticed the tires were cupped. They rotated them and it seemed to get better but it wasn’t totally gone. A few thousand miles later it seems to be getting louder again. Not sure if it really is the tires or not.

Thanks. I will do more checking in spring.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Questions:

Are you guys experience some slight vibration with this noise as well?

Are you running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?

Are over 15k Miles?

If the answer is yes, the issue could be coming from the inside of the tires on the front wheels. They start tearing up and do not hold up well anymore from the inside. I've checked with a tired shop that is familiar with the michelins and was told that as they come close to their mileage, or if you drive them hard, they will tear up on the inside and cause that vibration/howl noise. At least that is my case.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they will tear up on the inside
you mean internal delamination? That's a MAJOR fail of design/manufacture if so. Sounds like need a few more PSI to help out the carcass.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
you mean internal delamination? That's a MAJOR fail of design/manufacture if so. Sounds like need a few more PSI to help out the carcass.
I'm not sure what the technical term for it is, but the inside thread part is lifting up in the circle red area. After its worn down enough it starts to tear apart.
upload_2020-3-2_10-52-43.png
Sponsored