Sponsored

Small leak, used tire repair sealant, now have vibration above 70+

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Just wondering if this is just an out of balance tire issue or a much bigger driveline issue.

So my rear driver's side tire was having a consistent 5-7 PSI leak over the last couple of days and I ended up using the tire sealant kit on it. However, I didn't drive the car immediately afterwards and it sat for a few hours. I get on the highway and I notice a vibration in the steering wheel and seat around 70-80 mph.

Could this be caused by that tire sealant and not driving the car immediately afterwards throwing it out of balance? If so, can it be rebalanced at the shop or would I have to get a new tire? Tire is Michelin PS4S and relatively new, <4k miles, so not sure why I was having leak issues as I've not hit any potholes or curb'd it. Tire also doesn't physically appear to be damaged on the sidewall or anything.
Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
My guess - yes. The sealant had a chance to set up in one spot and now you're running with one spot of extra weight in one tire. The steering wheel vibration is a bit odd though since I'd expect you to feel it behind you considering the tire.

Worth checking out.

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My guess - yes. The sealant had a chance to set up in one spot and now you're running with one spot of extra weight in one tire. The steering wheel vibration is a bit odd though since I'd expect you to feel it behind you considering the tire.

Worth checking out.
Sorry forgot to mention that I also feel the vibration in my seat, but it definitely is also in the steering wheel.

Reactions: dps

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that sealer throws that tire outta balance, you’ll have to have that tire rebalanced..

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yeah that sealer throws that tire outta balance, you’ll have to have that tire rebalanced..
Exactly. Only temp fix. Tire shop needs to properly fix the hole, scrub out the sealant, and balance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
makes sense, thank ya'll for confirming! will have the tire repaired/re-balanced today

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
By letting it sit without driving the recommended amount you likely did not fix your slow leak either. Unless you got lucky and the leak was on the bottom.
For future reference the sealant should only be used in emergency situations, not as a patch for a slow leak. Leaving it in will degrade the interior of the tire over time.
Unless something has changed tire shops despise tire sealant. You should always have a slow leak checked by a tire shop first.

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
By letting it sit without driving the recommended amount you likely did not fix your slow leak either. Unless you got lucky and the leak was on the bottom.
For future reference the sealant should only be used in emergency situations, not as a patch for a slow leak. Leaving it in will degrade the interior of the tire over time.
Unless something has changed tire shops despise tire sealant. You should always have a slow leak checked by a tire shop first.
Definitely a lesson learned! Will keep that in mind next time for sure, thanks!

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yup, was definitely the tire, which unfortunately had a near sidewall nail puncture that was unrepairable, so I'll have to get a new tire. Just got these PS4S only ~2 months ago 😕

Reactions: dps

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Your gonna need a new tpms sensor. Iirc correctly the sealant ruins it..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please this is what I've been told.

Sponsored
OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Your gonna need a new tpms sensor. Iirc correctly the sealant ruins it..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please this is what I've been told.
Most of the things I've read is that it does, but I didn't bother to put TPMS sensors on my back wheels although I may order some cheap ones from Ebay

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Why are you driving a sealed tire at 80mph?

That thing is for very temporary use. You fill your tire and putt to the nearest tire center, not for flying on the highway on your daily commute.
Sponsored