Sponsored

How wrong is it to drive hard after cold start?

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Thank you all for the advices. I think I know what to do (or at least what I'll do :p)

I don't have an oil temp gauge.
I have cylinder head and inlet air temp.

Maybe there is a way I could activate oil temp gauge with odb setting?
Not possible. Your best bet is to watch cylinder head temperature, and when that reaches 190, give it another 10+ minutes to assume oil is there too. This assumes driving, idling will never get it there, don't bother trying, you're doing more harm than good.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If I remember correctly early 401a digital dashes had an oil temp gauge. For some reason they removed it during a software update. Never to be seen again.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
John David, please tell OP your kidding. Heā€˜s new here.

Maybe you missed the part that OP has an Ecoboost. I had one and would never push that little 4 banger it until all temps were up.
I've owned multiple 4cyl turbo cars, never had a problem. I never floored it until it was reasonably warm, but in winter it was definitely not at full temperature by the time I got to the highway on ramp. In a perfect world we would all wait until full temp, but in reality its not always gonna happen.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I wait until ECT is over 165 on the nGauge and cylinder head temp is close to normal, or normal, before I do +3k shifts.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I've owned multiple 4cyl turbo cars, never had a problem. I never floored it until it was reasonably warm, but in winter it was definitely not at full temperature by the time I got to the highway on ramp. In a perfect world we would all wait until full temp, but in reality its not always gonna happen.
I totally understand. When I lived in NJ it was 10 minutes from my house to my entrance to the Turnpike. I just took it nice and easy till she warmed up. After that it was game on.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It's not based on a sensor. It's a derived value from multiple other variables. I believe that all S550s have the data on the bus, whether it can be displayed or not.

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
They cannot. Multiple people have tried with no success.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
John David, please tell OP your kidding. Heā€˜s new here.

OK ok, warm it up, then drive the snot out of it. I had a ecoboost too. Manual. Great commuter

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Letā€™s clear this up. Ford builds cars to not come back in the warranty period. If starting them and flooring them hurt the engine, they would write a small piece of code to keep that from happening. As far I I know they donā€™t.

I wait for my car to heat up but I donā€™t think itā€™s needed beyond about a one minute idle down. I worry more about my trans temp just because it shifts funny until itā€™s warm.
That small piece of code could cause an accident if the car doesn't respond as expected !

The engine wear caused by thrashing a cold engine will not be a problem until after the warranty in most cases.

Some cars (Lotus) have a blue warning symbol that is illuminated until the engine is warm enough to use at high revs - surprised more don't do the same.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Letā€™s clear this up. Ford builds cars to not come back in the warranty period. If starting them and flooring them hurt the engine, they would write a small piece of code to keep that from happening. As far I I know they donā€™t.
Sorry Jay, but I disagree. You want more electronic control over our cars instead of just using a small amount of common sense? Starting a cold engine and flooring it will eventually cause a failure somewhere in the system. This is mechanics 101. Do not need another granny to stop us from doing it. EB's need even more warming because of the turbo itself.

ome cars (Lotus) have a blue warning symbol that is illuminated until the engine is warm enough to use at high revs - surprised more don't do the same.
Now that's funny. My 1966 Fairlane GTA had a blue light in the dash for exactly that reason.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
These engines run 5-20. Thats like water. Even cold itā€™s still a very thin oil.
No, it's not. At 212F, which is the oil temperature engines are designed to operate, yes, oil is like water. Put some oil in your fridge overnight, and report back if it's 'very thin'. Cold oil doesn't lubricate properly, and that's a fact. And the colder (thicker) it is, the less it lubricates.

The lower the first number on oil viscosity, the less thick oil is when cold (0w30 lubricates better than 5w30 when cold, but the same when hot). But even 0w16 oil will NEVER be thin enough when cold to lubricate properly at WOT, even in summer (90F is a lot less than 212F), so much less in winter. Therefore, in winter, WOT with cold oil would be a lot more damaging to the engine in the long run.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That small piece of code could cause an accident if the car doesn't respond as expected !
A friend of mine had an automatic 2.5 litre Jaguar X-Type, back in the day when Jaguar was owned by Ford (actually the X-Type itself was nothing more than a Mondeo in fancy clothes). In very cold ambient temperatures he couldn't get it to rev past 3000 rpm. This limit increased gradually as the engine - and perhaps gearbox - warmed up.
So, fear of an accident doesn't seem to be a concern for Ford (or at least it wasn't then).
But to be fair, I don't know of many cars which do this. Actually, that's the only one I know of. :)
Sponsored