Sponsored

HOW TO: Swap PP gauges into standard model

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
So the oil pressure gauge needs a tune to work?
Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
So the oil pressure gauge needs a tune to work?
The PCM has to be told to look for a sensor signal instead of an on/off switch signal. A HP tuners OBDll dongle will also allow to use VCM editor to change command text from switch to sensor.

Using a handheld tuner and custom tune the tuner can toggle the same input command.

Of course, a dealer can also do this as well.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Is it necessary to use a performance pack oil pressure sender?
I would say yes but could be wrong, does not need to be OEM as long as it is a compatible part number with OEM number. Using a sensor that is not an aftermarket replacement for the OEM could result in an inop gauge.

BD

Cashley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2
I would say yes but could be wrong, does not need to be OEM as long as it is a compatible part number with OEM number. Using a sensor that is not an aftermarket replacement for the OEM could result in an inop gauge.

BD
I didnt see it listed in the parts section of the OP's post so i wasnt sure.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the parts to do this so just waiting on a warm day. Don't want to break any clips. My car, base 2017 EcoBoost, has the cable in the dash so once I plug that in I should have the boost gauge. Just the oil pressure I am not clear on. @Buldawg76 I would just go into the dealer and ask them to do the change from switch to sensor?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I didnt see it listed in the parts section of the OP's post so i wasnt sure.
Yea I think it was just assumed you would need sensor if you were going to do gauge pack cluster swap.

BD

Cashley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2
Yea I think it was just assumed you would need sensor if you were going to do gauge pack cluster swap.

BD
You may know the answer to this. The engine harness has the correct amount of terminals for this to work?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have the parts to do this so just waiting on a warm day. Don't want to break any clips. My car, base 2017 EcoBoost, has the cable in the dash so once I plug that in I should have the boost gauge. Just the oil pressure I am not clear on. @Buldawg76 I would just go into the dealer and ask them to do the change from switch to sensor?

Oil pressure gauge needs pressure sensor, wire pigtail for sensor, and pigtail wired into engine harness for cars that have only switch and PCM signal command changed.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You may know the answer to this. The engine harness has the correct amount of terminals for this to work?
If you only have switch now you have to splice in the 2 wires from sensor pigtail into current harness and run 1 to specific terminal at PCM. All the info is contained in this thread.

BD

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil pressure gauge needs pressure sensor, wire pigtail for sensor, and pigtail wired into engine harness for cars that have only switch and PCM signal command changed.

BD
That part is what I'm not clear on. So I get the sensor, pigtail for 3 wires, but i am not clear on where the wire goes. There is not plug and play harness for this correct?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That part is what I'm not clear on. So I get the sensor, pigtail for 3 wires, but i am not clear on where the wire goes. There is not plug and play harness for this correct?
Unfortunately, no there is no plug and play harness. You either have 1 wire for switch or the 3 wire for sensor.

BD

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, no there is no plug and play harness. You either have 1 wire for switch or the 3 wire for sensor.

BD
Where do the other 2 wires go?
I really want to try to get this working so I don't mind doing the programming with the dealer.
Sorry if I am a little dense. I am just not clear on the sensor part.
Thanks

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Where do the other 2 wires go?
I really want to try to get this working so I don't mind doing the programming with the dealer.
Sorry if I am a little dense. I am just not clear on the sensor part.
Thanks
They go to the canbus high and canbus low signal wires of engine harness. I don't remember off the top of my head which two sensors wires you pick up the signals from.

A dealer can also wire in the pigtail for you possibly, some will not alter or mod cars but some will as well.

BD

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They go to the canbus high and canbus low signal wires of engine harness. I don't remember off the top of my head which two sensors wires you pick up the signals from.

A dealer can also wire in the pigtail for you possibly, some will not alter or mod cars but some will as well.

BD
I appreciate that. As soon as it gets warmer I will definitely try this. Thanks for the help

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
A big shout out to all the pioneers of this job I have an Aussie spec Bullitt so needed to alter dash add wiring to the apim add oil sensor and wire into the pcm Had tune done this morning and all works Note each model and motor have different wire diagrams at the pcm

Hey there, I'm in Australia also, can you please let me know what you had to do to make it work, what parts you used.
Thanks
Sponsored