HOW TO: Swap PP gauges into standard model

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I just received my GTPP Dash with the gauges and all the trim in nearly new condition for $350 which seems to be the rate nowadays.

I removed all of my non-performance package dash trim and looked behind the head unit in the little square hole where the harness for the gauges should be, only for it not to be there (for reference I have a '17 Manual GT Premium non-PP). I continued looking for about half an hour then gave up and ordered the wiring pigtail in the OP. Guess I'll just have to splice it in.

The pigtail should be in by next weekend, so I'll have an update. As for the oil pressure gauge, I understand a tune is necessary for this to work properly. I see some talk about replacing the factory 1 pin oil pressure sensor with a 3 pin one in the performance package. Is this 100% necessary? I don't care if the gauge isn't perfectly accurate just that it acts like a gauge. If just the tune is necessary has anyone had any success with bama? that seems to be the route I want to take.
Sponsored

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
On pin 53 and 54, I have two wires feeding into each pin, did you splice into both wires? Or just one?
Did you ever get an answer to this? I was in the process of splicing and had the same question if it matters if you connect the wires to splice into the single wire each APIM pin has for the pigtail.

sonicblue2004

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT California , Roush Phase 1 S/C w/ VMP Tune
Did you ever get an answer to this? I was in the process of splicing and had the same question if it matters if you connect the wires to splice into the single wire each APIM pin has for the pigtail.
I did the upgrade so long ago and memory is a little fuzzy. But I remember using a wire tap directly into the pin and no splicing. The wire tap I modified from a radar detector so I did not have to cut any factor wires. I hope this helps.

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT California Special
I just received my GTPP Dash with the gauges and all the trim in nearly new condition for $350 which seems to be the rate nowadays.

I removed all of my non-performance package dash trim and looked behind the head unit in the little square hole where the harness for the gauges should be, only for it not to be there (for reference I have a '17 Manual GT Premium non-PP). I continued looking for about half an hour then gave up and ordered the wiring pigtail in the OP. Guess I'll just have to splice it in.

The pigtail should be in by next weekend, so I'll have an update. As for the oil pressure gauge, I understand a tune is necessary for this to work properly. I see some talk about replacing the factory 1 pin oil pressure sensor with a 3 pin one in the performance package. Is this 100% necessary? I don't care if the gauge isn't perfectly accurate just that it acts like a gauge. If just the tune is necessary has anyone had any success with bama? that seems to be the route I want to take.
A guy named Ryan McDonald from bama confirmed that the gauge will works with their tune. Unlike the ecoboost, I believe they can write and program the GT’s PCM, and make the gauge works like the PP cars. I’m planning to go with Bama as well they looks decent comparing to the other tuners; just waiting for their next sales.

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you to sonicblue2004 and Pucklord for the quick responses to some of the questions I had. The swap is done and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I, like others in this thread, didn't have the pigtail behind the head unit for the gauges, meaning I was going to have to splice one in myself like the OP. I was very apprehensive about this as I had ZERO experience on electrical work. That being said I was hesitant to solder and looked at other options. T-taps I found on Amazon proved to be useless, don't waste your time with those. I found a heat shrink tube with built in solder that you put over your spliced connection. These worked very well and I highly suggest them to anyone worried about soldering. I'll link it below:

Kuject 120PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors

Once everything was connected I put everything back together. As for cutting away the part of the dash to make the gauge fit, I didn't have access to a dremel, so I just used a box cutter. The plastic is really soft and the razor works just as well. A lot of people mention the vents don't line up in the same place as the old ones and they're a bit wider and you actually need to stretch the air conditioning tubing out. This isn't really necessary, just carve away a bit on the outside edge and the vents will fit fine, the tubing really isn't that far off.

I wired the gauges up and attached all the trim and vacuum and mycolor worked perfectly. The oil pressure gauge of course didn't work. I'll probably get and sctx4 flash tuner with Bama and just have it tuned through that.

Pictures:
IMG-0498.jpg

IMG-0499.jpg

Sponsored

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
FOR SALE PIGTAIL CONNECTOR FOR GAUGES ( 6U2Z-14S411-JB )

I know most people have the wiring in place for the gauges, but for those of you that need to splice into the harness, I received an extra pigtail and have put it for sale for $20 + shipping, way cheaper than Tasca or any other company will sell for.

Let me know if you're interested!

aj4128

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amado Blanco Jr
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Than you from all the hard work you guys put into these mod the only problem that i have were to pickup the to leaf for the cam bus line LE458 and lead Re454 i check
my IAT2 wire the color code is not the same I Have 2015 Mustang Gt Premium Roush Charge were can i pickup these line

aj4128

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amado Blanco Jr
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You may know the answer to this. The engine harness has the correct amount of terminals for this to work?
here is the part no. fro the connectro and the sensor

oil sensor # CM5Z-9278-A and the sensor connector is AU2Z-14G411GA

aj4128

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amado Blanco Jr
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Hello i had the same situation with my 5.0 I found the corresponding colours and numbers on the pcm connector The 2018 manual actually showed which connector had what numbers and colours which made it much easier I also put a new wire into the pcm instead of trying to relocate
Can you please send me the Information were you did tap in because My IAT2 the color are not samr color same line LE458 is Blue/White and Line Re 454 are Yellow/Green

aj4128

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amado Blanco Jr
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Ahhh ok. For some reason my mind went to those thin long blade connectors that you're supposed to jam into the back of the plug itself, instead of your much more obvious and easy solution :doh:

What are your thoughts on those vampire clips? I'm in an apartment, so running an extension cable allll the way out to the car for my soldering gun isn't the most practical thing.

I Have finish the pp1 install expect the oil gage need to be program with and tune or installing the oil sensor with 3 wire which i have now the problem is were do i connect these wire read in her the IAT2 sensor the wires are different color can Someone tell me what wire color are goes to the PCM

My Gages Install.jpg

My gages Install1.jpg

My IAT2 Sensor Connectro.jpg

Sponsored

Whyachi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Hey guys, I’m currently trying to install the PP gauges into my non-PP 2019 5.0. I don’t know where I’m going wrong here because I’ve done the cutting but the dash won’t fit in, particularly the side vents . Any advice?
IMG_8136.jpeg
IMG_8139.jpeg

Jak112460

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I’m currently trying to install the PP gauges into my non-PP 2019 5.0. I don’t know where I’m going wrong here because I’ve done the cutting but the dash won’t fit in, particularly the side vents . Any advice?
IMG_8136.jpeg
IMG_8139.jpeg
The outer vents are not in the exact same place as the ones you have to match up with the new facia you will be using for the new gauges. I modified the back of both vents so they angled in and lined up better. Some people just force them in but when I tried that the vents popped out. I also filled in the center vent and sealed it off.

Whyachi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
The outer vents are not in the exact same place as the ones you have to match up with the new facia you will be using for the new gauges. I modified the back of both vents so they angled in and lined up better. Some people just force them in but when I tried that the vents popped out. I also filled in the center vent and sealed it off.
Got it, how did you go about angling it?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
How large/expensive/hard to swap is whatever part has 3 vents or 2 vents depending on PP option? Since, I don't see it discussed, am guessing it is probably an inexpensive part but can't be swapped without major disassembly.
Sponsored