Sponsored

How to monitor your engine on a FP tune?

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
So I'm looking to up the performance of my ecoboost engine but I want something safe so I thing the FP tune is the way to go.
The only draw back is that you loose out a way to monitor your engine. Tuning devices like Cobb AP lets you monitor Knock and all that good stuff.

Is there anything you can run with the FP tune that allows you to have such access to these important information?
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
There are a few vent gauges that can read specified outputs from the ECM. You can also use any of the tuners. Here is one from Raxiom that fits into the vent. Pretty much same price as any of the tuners (Can be found cheaper used). Only downfall is the gauges don't let you take any logs whereas the tuners do allow logs to be taken.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-vent-obd2-multi-gauge-1516.html

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Get a bluetooth ODB dongle and download the Torque app. It is supposed to do logging.

I just got mine but haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a bluetooth ODB dongle and download the Torque app. It is supposed to do logging.

I just got mine but haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.
Very true there is that route, but I'm not very familiar with Torque entirely. I also would rather have a gauge that stays in place and wouldn't need messed with so using my phone doesn't cut it for me. I'll probably stick to using my SCT x4 till I decide what tuner to go with.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was looking at the nGauge for monitoring, but couldn't justify the price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LuckyJerk

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
So it would seem that you can use the tuner just for monitoring?
That good. It just sucks to have to put out another $300-$500 on top of the FP tune and the installation.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Buying a hand held tuner to data log is like buying a car to get a set of tires. Data logging is just a function the hand held tuners can do, it's not what you're paying for.

There are 2 things, monitoring data and data logging both of these can be done with a cell phone and a wireless bluetooth OBDII adapter along with either the Torque app for Android or OBD Fusion app for iPhone. Just because you don't know how to use it ahead of time doesn't make it a good solution. I don't know how to use it either but when I want some information, I look at it and figure it out and get the information. The apps have gauges that you can customize to show whatever you want in the way you want.

If you're really just hung up on it not being on your phone for some reason, there are always the gauges mentioned that plug into your OBDII port. I don't know if they have the ability to log data or how flexible the display is, will you be able to display any PID you want to.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
And get the Schoshe magnetic mount for your phone. Solid mount that looks great.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

Dadsreward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
What is a recommended bluetooth dongle? Many choices and not sure if there's much difference.

Sponsored

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buying a hand held tuner to data log is like buying a car to get a set of tires. Data logging is just a function the hand held tuners can do, it's not what you're paying for.

There are 2 things, monitoring data and data logging both of these can be done with a cell phone and a wireless bluetooth OBDII adapter along with either the Torque app for Android or OBD Fusion app for iPhone. Just because you don't know how to use it ahead of time doesn't make it a good solution. I don't know how to use it either but when I want some information, I look at it and figure it out and get the information. The apps have gauges that you can customize to show whatever you want in the way you want.

If you're really just hung up on it not being on your phone for some reason, there are always the gauges mentioned that plug into your OBDII port. I don't know if they have the ability to log data or how flexible the display is, will you be able to display any PID you want to.
Very true. Just all depends on the application. If you want it there day in and day out and a more permanent solution another route would probably be best. But if you are just wanting to do the occasional check etc it'd be much easier and cheaper to just do it through your phone.

I was just stating that personally as someone who likes to watch various PID's all the time such as knock it's just more convenient to already have it always in place

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I use a bluetooth OBD dongle and Torque Pro App. Dongle was about $20 if I recall (I just picked one that had 4+ stars on amazon and was still a decent price), and the App is $5 bucks. It is a great combo for me. Its fairly straight forward. I don't have a tune but I log some of my longer drives just for fun. You can choose from a long list of default PIDs the App has and there is a Ford specific list of additional ones which added the charge air temp (listed at IAT2 in case anyone cares), among a few others.

You also can set up a custom gauge display showing any of the available PIDs in various forms (graphs, dials, numbers, etc). It all works quite nicely for me and is a great value. You can also add custom PIDs as I don't think the readily availible ones cover everything that could be read but I haven't figure out where to obtain a full list for the Ecoboost.

I think something along these lines would be way more value for your needs. Heck you could buy a cheap older Android phone for <$100 just for the display purposes as I think it just uses GPS and bluetooth not any cell network.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I use a bluetooth OBD dongle and Torque Pro App. Dongle was about $20 if I recall (I just picked one that had 4+ stars on amazon and was still a decent price), and the App is $5 bucks. It is a great combo for me. Its fairly straight forward. I don't have a tune but I log some of my longer drives just for fun. You can choose from a long list of default PIDs the App has and there is a Ford specific list of additional ones which added the charge air temp (listed at IAT2 in case anyone cares), among a few others.

You also can set up a custom gauge display showing any of the available PIDs in various forms (graphs, dials, numbers, etc). It all works quite nicely for me and is a great value. You can also add custom PIDs as I don't think the readily availible ones cover everything that could be read but I haven't figure out where to obtain a full list for the Ecoboost.

I think something along these lines would be way more value for your needs. Heck you could buy a cheap older Android phone for <$100 just for the display purposes as I think it just uses GPS and bluetooth not any cell network.
That's awesome and what I want to do some day when I get around to setting it up. Would you be willing to share the PIDs that you monitor?

I know one good one to start with is IAT2 which is the actual Charge Air Temperature right out of the FMIC. The temperature of the air available for combustion. Shows up as Intake Air Temperature 2 in Powertrain Control Module under Ford, Lincoln, Mercury.

I also like Ambient Air Temperature and Intake Air Temperature. That way I see the normal temperature outside, the temperature in the intake just after the filter and then the IAT2 to see after it's compressed by the turbo and cooled by the FMIC.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome and what I want to do some day when I get around to setting it up. Would you be willing to share the PIDs that you monitor?

I know one good one to start with is IAT2 which is the actual Charge Air Temperature right out of the FMIC. The temperature of the air available for combustion. Shows up as Intake Air Temperature 2 in Powertrain Control Module under Ford, Lincoln, Mercury.

I also like Ambient Air Temperature and Intake Air Temperature. That way I see the normal temperature outside, the temperature in the intake just after the filter and then the IAT2 to see after it's compressed by the turbo and cooled by the FMIC.
Theres also cylinder head temp, spark advance, knock sensor(good for seeing if you have knock and are pulling timing), fuel trims etc.
Sponsored