How to Cold Weather?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I do exactly the same thing, just try and target those "warm" days when the weather gets above freezing at least. (Adams Polishes products ROCK)
Nice and warm today. Also pouring
Sponsored

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax and somewhat follow the Gary Dean wash method and Darren from Auto Fetish. Combine these methods and you have a good garage wash method for those really cold days.

[ame]

[ame]

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Nice and warm today. Also pouring
yeah was the same here yesterday, 50 and rain. Today its 34 and flurries....love the midwest in winter :)

On the plus side got a new job that is 100% work from home, so no more commute in the crap and the Mustang will stay in the stable except for those sunny winter days we get once in a while. :cheers:

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax and somewhat follow the Gary Dean wash method and Darren from Auto Fetish. Combine these methods and you have a good garage wash method for those really cold days.

At work, i'll watch when i have the chance. unfortunately my garage space is pretty tight. I could make it work if necessary though.

yeah was the same here yesterday, 50 and rain. Today its 34 and flurries....love the midwest in winter :)

On the plus side got a new job that is 100% work from home, so no more commute in the crap and the Mustang will stay in the stable except for those sunny winter days we get once in a while. :cheers:
Yeah haha thats awesome i really want one of those. What do you do now? My commute is 20 miles 1 way. And Jersey weather is the same way man. 30 and snow one day and 70 and sunny the next. I have an 01 jeep for the winter though.(for sale:thumbsup:)

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
you dont need much garage space to do a rinseless wash. All you need is enough room to be able to spray with a hand sprayer and wipe with microfiber towels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
you dont need much garage space to do a rinseless wash. All you need is enough room to be able to spray with a hand sprayer and wipe with microfiber towels.
I'll take a picture next time i get the car squeezed in lol.
How clean does the car need to be for rinseless wash? Being that its been pouring for days here the car is going to be very dirty.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Yeahhhh.....

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
At work, i'll watch when i have the chance. unfortunately my garage space is pretty tight. I could make it work if necessary though.

Yeah haha thats awesome i really want one of those. What do you do now? My commute is 20 miles 1 way. And Jersey weather is the same way man. 30 and snow one day and 70 and sunny the next. I have an 01 jeep for the winter though.(for sale:thumbsup:)

I work in IT Security, on the phone most of the time so it does not matter if I am in an office or at home. Went from a 50mi round trip to 50ft.... will be nice to not commute in the crap this winter. :headbang:

If I need to go out I can take the wifes ExSport or the boys Ranger :ninja:

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Optimum no rinse for me if it's below 40 outside. If it's sunny and over 40, I just fill my buckets with warm water.

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
I use the touchless washes that spray the underbody in the winter.

ONR (Optimum No Rinse) is a great way to wash in the garage on colder days. It also makes a really good detail spray to do touch up work between washes.

Throw 5 microfiber towels in a bucket with RO water (or distilled) and ONR, let them soak for a minute, spray the panel with the ONR detail spray concentration, wipe it down as the wind blows (LIGHTLY!!), then dry and buff.

It is really quick and does a great job. I am paranoid about scratches from moving the dirt around with the towel but I don't notice any new ones upon inspection with a flashlight. The chemists at Optimum are wizards but they suck at marketing! If everyone knew about this stuff Optimum would be YUGE

Sponsored
OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I use the touchless washes that spray the underbody in the winter.

ONR (Optimum No Rinse) is a great way to wash in the garage on colder days. It also makes a really good detail spray to do touch up work between washes.

Throw 5 microfiber towels in a bucket with RO water (or distilled) and ONR, let them soak for a minute, spray the panel with the ONR detail spray concentration, wipe it down as the wind blows (LIGHTLY!!), then dry and buff.

It is really quick and does a great job. I am paranoid about scratches from moving the dirt around with the towel but I don't notice any new ones upon inspection with a flashlight. The chemists at Optimum are wizards but they suck at marketing! If everyone knew about this stuff Optimum would be YUGE
YUUGGGEEE

I'd like to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. Last night i was able to pull my car in the garage for a no rinse carwash and detail on the hood, roof, rear window(s) and top of trunk. (then it was too late to do anymore).

I'd like to pick some up ive heard amazing things about ONR. Unfortunately I didnt feel like waiting for it to come lol so i took a trip to advanced auto to get a waterless.

I bought "meguires ultimate wash and wax anywhere" for the waterless wash (although the car was wet with rain water)
Sprayed that stuff on let it soak for a couple seconds to do its chemical magic, then with a super soft microfiber i wiped it off lightly and then followed up with a drying microfiber afterwards. I did this is sections on each panel.
Next i used Meguire's detail and clay bar to clay, wiped that off with a seperate microfiber, and then 1 more to dry.
Next i used LUCAS Speed Wax Mist for wax/seal. same thing. wax on wax off grasshopper.
Finished it with a turtle wax Black Box Detail spray 1 to apply 1 to dry.

This was my first experience with waterless/rinseless and clay bar as well. I am amazed at the difference the clay bar makes. Overall this process worked pretty well and i will be finishing the car tonight i hope.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
YUUGGGEEE

I'd like to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. Last night i was able to pull my car in the garage for a no rinse carwash and detail on the hood, roof, rear window(s) and top of trunk. (then it was too late to do anymore).

I'd like to pick some up ive heard amazing things about ONR. Unfortunately I didnt feel like waiting for it to come lol so i took a trip to advanced auto to get a waterless.

I bought "meguires ultimate wash and wax anywhere" for the waterless wash (although the car was wet with rain water)
Sprayed that stuff on let it soak for a couple seconds to do its chemical magic, then with a super soft microfiber i wiped it off lightly and then followed up with a drying microfiber afterwards. I did this is sections on each panel.
Next i used Meguire's detail and clay bar to clay, wiped that off with a seperate microfiber, and then 1 more to dry.
Next i used LUCAS Speed Wax Mist for wax/seal. same thing. wax on wax off grasshopper.
Finished it with a turtle wax Black Box Detail spray 1 to apply 1 to dry.

This was my first experience with waterless/rinseless and clay bar as well. I am amazed at the difference the clay bar makes. Overall this process worked pretty well and i will be finishing the car tonight i hope.
Glad that worked out for you! For winter prep I always like to give it a good wash, followed by an isopropyl alcohol wipedown. Then clay bar followed by a nice coat of sealant. It gives me a lot of peace of mind when I can't wash my car for several weeks due to cold/rain/snow.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Interesting. Never seen that posted or said before.
The clay bar obviously removes surface contaminants, but not necessarily all the wax. The isopropyl removes the remaining wax so you get a nice uniform surface for the sealant to adhere to.

I've also seen people wash with dish soap instead of the normal wash followed by the isopropyl. Same results but I prefer the isopropyl wipedown (4 parts water, 1 part isopropyl) since you can do it one section at a time.

Last edited:

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
4:1ratio. Seems safe.
Dish soap Na. I'll pass on that one.
But appreciate the new info mix ratio.
Sponsored