Sponsored

How to clean/coat black plastic

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I'm wondering what folks use to coat or wax the black front spoiler and side skirts on the 2019 Mustang. Mine is a PP2 car and the front spoiler is rather large. I washed it and the side skirts with regular car cleaner however I'd like to coat it with a wax or something so it doesn't fade in the sun. It is garaged daily.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I found this product at a local walmart .. Auto Drive tm Protectant Protector ..

The best product that I have found that actually spares the dark colored plastics through harsh environmental driving and washes . Ok to use on the weather stripping ....

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have been using 303 Protectant on the lower un-coated black plastic trim pieces. This products leaves a nice, deep matte finish and is easy to apply. I spray the product onto the blue applicator to avoid over-spray.

IMG-2071.jpg

I have also been giving Meguiars Trim Detailer a try. Applied in the same way, this product is a bit glossier in its finish. I have also found it doesn't spread as easily as the 303 so you tend to use more of it.

IMG-2072.jpg

The great thing about the 303 is that it can be used over most plastic surfaces so it's more versatile.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I wash the plastic with a general all purpose cleaner and a brush. As far as coating the plastic, I was using Aerospace 303 Automotive and it worked well, but washed off quickly, so I tried Chemical Guys VRP, but after the next rain I had streaks all down the side of the car from where it washed off the plastic. A few weeks back I bought Car Guys Plastic Restorer and it has been significantly better than all the other products I've used so far. It's supposed to last a few months, and a few weeks in it still looks great, even after several rain days.

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I use Gtechniq C4 ceramic trim coating. Super easy to apply and lasts a LONG TIME. Used it on a customers SRT8 Challenger, trim was super faded for a 2014 YM, but that C4 restored color and added a ton of ceramic protection.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I use Back to Black leaves a nice dark rich look to the plastic. Then on top of that if you want to protect it maybe use a wax. Typically I’ll just use Back to Black once every 2 months because it personally doesn’t last very long for me then again I wash my car once a week.

BBR-NICK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt,2000 f350
A good ceramic coating can do wonders a bit pricey but worth it .

Deleted member 35644

I use 303 on all rubber & plastic trim. Not glossy or greasy looking and does a great job against U.V. My truck (2015 Canyon) sits outside 24/7 and the only rubber I have trouble with is the windshield wiper blades. All the window trim looks brand new.
Sponsored