Sponsored

How safe are these cars against catalytic converter theft?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Unless they came with a Jack, it would be pretty tough to get at
They do. Battery powered sawzalls too.

Really need to go after the recyclers. There was a bust in King county where they caught out of state people buying converters off the streets from thieving drug addicts. They had 800 converters. Any company buying that many converters in one shot from some private citizen is complicit in the crime.

https://www.kentreporter.com/news/k...arly-800-catalytic-converters-during-arrests/

Seattle has had almost 600 reported converter thefts in the first three months of 2021. That number is most likely much higher as people are not apt to call the police in Seattle. They often do not respond and whey they do, they will tell you that it is a waste of their time (and it is).
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looked up my local scrap guy as I have three batteries to take in :

1626865454464.png

1626865477672.png

Not exactly making it difficult to dispose of these things are we .... :facepalm:

WD :like:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Looked up my local scrap guy as I have three batteries to take in :

1626865454464.png

1626865477672.png

Not exactly making it difficult to dispose of these things are we .... :facepalm:

WD :like:
Come on down - we're happy to fence your stolen shit.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
These guys don't care who they steal from. The news did a story on this in Houston, and stated that 217 cars were hit that were in a lot that was owned by the city. Cats were stolen off all of them. I believe they were all Priuses also.

Don't ever think your car is safe. If they want it, they will take it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Unless the thief is like Flat Stanley, I don't think there's a chance S550 cats can be stolen "easily", even if using a hand held sawzall or handheld cutting wheel. The cats are tucked up under the trans tunnel - and even much harder to get at on a lowered beyond stock ride height S550.

--
Oh and in case the crowd doesn't get the Flat Stanley reference....
1626982765095.jpeg

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Well, seems the cat thefts from the airport parking garage have dropped to nothing.
In another part of town not to far from the port. They found a guy under a car. There were several cars that were jacked up with screw jacks. The screw jack that they found under the car where they found this guy had slipped and the frame of the car fell on the guy's head. He was dead right there. He was still holding on to the catalytic converter with one hand and a saw zall in the other.
Saved the taxpayers a lot of money.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
today my car alarm went off on my car parked on the road, saw a grown adult just walking car to car trying to open car doors. I called the cops, they said did he damage the car, I said no hes just walking to every car and trying to open handles clear as day.

he said, dont talk to him, ignore him, I said are you sending anyone out, they said no. he didn't commit a crime.

DA FUQ. why do criminals get such protection?? hes trying to rob every car on the block. thats a crime.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
1626997899874.png

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
pretty sure id go to prison over that.
but, thats another issue. you should be able to protect what's yours, materialistic and loved ones. people say people shouldn't get killed over materialistic items, well guess what. they shouldn't steal or rob people/things.

they deserve what they get. dont care

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Wow I had never heard of catalytic converter theft until I read this thread. I don't think it's a thing here in Australia......lucky country I reckon mate 😊👍🍻

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
pretty sure id go to prison over that.
but, thats another issue. you should be able to protect what's yours, materialistic and loved ones. people say people shouldn't get killed over materialistic items, well guess what. they shouldn't steal or rob people/things.

they deserve what they get. dont care
7c6c99a88dffbca233384568d8d0d136ffd312bf6143eb5b706ba1bd450e1f91_1.jpg

to me, it basically means you value MY things more than your life.

if someone is trying the door at your house to check if its open, he is already doing that with the intention of committing a crime... same with the car. He is not doing it to lock it for you so nothing happens to you. Your car is private property. Those cops were fucking idiots...

tumblr_pqvmweJIlD1sysw2co4_540.gif

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If my cats have welded pipes where they USED to be located, can I claim that they were stolen if I get pulled over? Asking for a friend.
Yup - and be sure to tell the cops Biggus Dickus said they have to let you go.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I kind of wish we was actually hardcore law enforcement, meaning criminals didn't have the rights they do. the repeat offenders get off Scott free, addicts etc, robbing, selling, stealing, all day long. driving without licenses, etc... they go to jail, and out next day.

seriously, if people worried about life in prison for repeat, they wouldn't be so quick to go commit the same crimes or even death penalties, no more 80 years sitting in a cell to die, sentence, and death within same few days. whenever the chair is opened up from previous person.

for someone who doesnt do crime, this would not change their lives one bit, other than it will cause them less hassle since criminals will be afraid of life in prison or death.
You think so, until someone false accuses you of some nonsense. Or some cop gets a hard on for you. These pesky rights aren't for the protection of junkies. They are for you.

The downside to a rights-preserving legal system is some tolerance of petty crimes. But then again, in countries without our legal system they also seem to have a hell of a lot of petty crimes as well.

That said, if you catch a person in the act, don't call the cops first thing. Make sure you stay legal and do what has to be done to protect yourself and your family. Particularly if the person is on your private property and you feel unsafe.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You think so, until someone false accuses you of some nonsense. Or some cop gets a hard on for you. These pesky rights aren't for the protection of junkies. They are for you.

The downside to a rights-preserving legal system is some tolerance of petty crimes. But then again, in countries without our legal system they also seem to have a hell of a lot of petty crimes as well.

That said, if you catch a person in the act, don't call the cops first thing. Make sure you stay legal and do what has to be done to protect yourself and your family. Particularly if the person is on your private property and you feel unsafe.
No matter what you do the great state of New York will be sure to try to make YOU the criminal for protecting yourself.

Last edited: