Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Have you ever driven a car without seat belts? Better yet, have you driven a car with vacuum windshield wipers?

YES on both....my first car....62 Falcon...it had a hand choke too.....I loved those vacuum wipers in a good downpour
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Have you ever driven a car without seat belts? Better yet, have you driven a car with vacuum windshield wipers?
They had seatbelts, we just tucked them down into the seat to make the disappear. First thing everyone did when buying a new car back in the day. No ever one bothered to dig them back out. They were there though.

Ever take a road trip laying in the back window behind the rear seat? My mom would tuck in blankets and pillows and I would lay back up there. A unique way to see the country for sure.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
YES on both....my first car....62 Falcon...it had a hand choke too.....I loved those vacuum wipers in a good downpour
Especially when you tried to accelerate through an intersection in your Falcon with wipers going before the light turned red again!!:shock:

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"Have you ever driven a car w/out seat belts? Better yet, have you driven a car w/vacuum windshield wipers?"
My 1st car (a Triumph Spitfire) came w/out belts. Thankfully, one of the few times in my life I had real foresight & installed some racing belts (no shoulder harnesses tho) cuz I had a drunk driver cross my bow in an attempt to make a late exit almost horizontal to the flow of traffic off the freeway. 1st Spitfire was history & I pulled some muscles in my back due to no harness, but I did survive. When I had kids of my own (two fantastic sons), seat belt usage was an easy teach as I told them had I not been wearing mine, they would never have existed.

1607866981063.png

Since my 1st three (3) cars were all British (two Spits & a Mini), manual chokes, needless to say, were the norm.

BTW, my 1st Mustang (& 4th car) was a '65 2+2 GT 4-spd. I looked at a '66 Shelby GT350 for $2,400 on a Pontiac dealer's used car lot, but it was an ex Hertz car w/an automatic trans. Talk about a POS!!! One of the many times in my life I had ZERO foresight. :facepalm:

As for vacuum wipers ... I learned to in drive Mom's '51 Ford. And the "logic" of having the wipers slow down when accelerating was not lost on me even back then. While the Ford is long gone, the key remains & currently sits in the little tray in front of the shift lever on my current Mustang.

I remember being up in the rear window area as a kid, just never sleeping up there. Hell, in SoCal, you would brown like a Thanksgiving turkey in the rear window in summertime. :whew:

I would think that the 1st car Dad ever had A/C in would have been a '55 DeSoto w/a 1st gen Hemi. Good times!!!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just turned 52, am I a Senior ? 🙃
Dunno . . . you'd have been in high school with one of my kids for a couple of years, so maybe you should ask him . . .

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, and yes.

How about cars with vacuum-tube radios, anybody?

Norm

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
If that happens, it'll be because they've lost sight of what driving really is. Or never tried to see the whole picture.

It's not just about the car. Never was.

Norm
In a few decades, I recon the GT's with its 460 HP will be considered laughable compared to the latest electric propulsion tech, and I'll bet GT 350/500 will also be laughed at.

But then again, I think the comment above absolutely nails it. It's not just about the car.

I see people driving very very old classic roadsters down the road. The cars smell of gas, and are loud, and have laughably small HP, but I can see why these folks enjoy them, just as much as I will still enjoy my s550s decades from now.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Yes, and yes.

How about cars with vacuum-tube radios, anybody?

Norm
Mom and dad's 61 Buick Le Sabre didn't have seat belts. It did have a vacuum tube AM radio (had great sound too), and electric windshield wipers. Now my 68 M715 had vacuum wipers; what a pain in the rain. And yes, I slept in the back window of that Buick many a time.
When I started driving it, I thought it was slow with a 318 cu. in. single barrel carb and 2 speed hydromatic. That is until I ran a few of my friends with their 350 cu. in. Chevy's. I lost of course, but not by much.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
...I get questions constantly at the car wash (typically from Audi and Beemer owners) "Sir is that your car? How do you like it?" Translation - why the hell is an oldtimer like you driving that?
It's simple - you're never too old to enjoy a well balanced platform that brings a smile to your face each time you press that button. The active exhaust simply enhances the experience.
W
BMW's are referred to as "bimmers", "beamers" are BMW motorcycles.

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"BMW's are referred to as "bimmers", "beamers" are BMW motorcycles."
Not sure about "beamer", but the rough English translation for "bimmer" is "non-functioning turn signals". :crackup:

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Yup a 64 TR4 and a 52 Olds on the vacuum wipers. The Olds was an absolute tank

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I'm 62 and have a GT so I qualify. My Dad's truck the radio had tubes in it, I remember him taking it out for some reason and it was huge, about the size of a small toaster oven. My friend at school had a 1959 Prefect car and the wipers would completely stop when going up a hill because of low vacuum and the first couple cars I remember my parents having didn't have seat belts. Their first new car was 1966 Mercury Montclair and that one did have them.

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 M6 & 2015 Hellcat A8 (10.83 @ 127)
I'll be 58 in May. I have a GT and a Hellcat now....who knows how long I'll want to drive a manual as a DD and drag race by Hellcat. So, I got them now so I can enjoy them for a long time.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase