Sponsored

How do you no-trailer guys handle the logistics of a breakdown at the track?

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
After many years of hockey tournament road trips and the odd mechanical failure while out of town, I have learned to just roll with the punches. Doesn't matter how bad it seems, it ends up working out. Might cost a lot of money, but it works out.

I grenaded my clutch in my 2015 at a track in Seattle a few years back and I live in Canada. Ended up there was a group at the track that run a performance shop and they trailered my car to their shop and overnighted a new clutch and flywheel. They gave me a ride to my hotel and picked me up at the end of the next day. Car was fixed and I could drive home. Cost me a bunch of money, but it worked out.
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yes, was going to rent a car, drive back to Canada, get my friends truck and trailer and drive back. Return rental, pick up car and go home and buy a new clutch. All that time off work and cost was about the same and I would be doing the clutch myself. Seemed the better option, just get it fixed and its ready next day.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seized my motor at a local autocross. Only <35 miles from home, but only 10 from my mechanicā€™s shop/home.

I got lucky and had a relative spectating at the event who drove me to my mechanicā€™s home. He let me borrow his tow vehicle and trailer and friends at the event helped me load up the car. My mechanic gave me a ride home after.

Nobody was inconvenienced (much) to help me out, and three different groups of people contributed in different ways and I didnt pay anything out of pocket for the day. My mechanic will get paid for the inevitable work to make the car right, so heā€™ll be fine.

Iā€™ll slowly work towards being equipped to tow to/from events over the next few years, but even for out of town events, if you have friends at the event or in the area, they can usually help in a pinch.

Worst scenario was with a friend on a long out of town drive and she popped a radiator, and one time when I broke a wheel stud at the track. Both times we were able to do a field repair and get the cars home without a tow. The radiator was a close one though, we got lucky with a smart corner store clerk who knew what to do to patch it just enough.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Made friends with a guy who owns a tow company šŸ˜….

heā€™s saved my ass 3 times so far.
Same! He's the reason I sometimes drive around with the local Camaro Club! That and it's fun whooping up on their ZL1's. :D

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Same! He's the reason I sometimes drive around with the local Camaro Club! That and it's fun whooping up on their ZL1's. :D
haha, mines a BMW guy šŸ¤£
Sponsored