Sponsored

How did you decide which S/C to go with?

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
No doubt. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a Hellion twin setup, skipped the headers, and had a much much faster car. Although, I'm not complaining with my results for my expense. I tried to buy the whipple over the TVS but my timing just wasn't great, all of the forum vendors were holding tight to the price, hell Lethal wouldn't budge, told me to just order off of their website. Little did they know how involved and vocal I am with who I support. I guarantee that I have sold more TVS kits then anyone at VMP or on M6G, haha.
I looked really hard at the VMP kit. When I was looking to buy, they just came out with their kit. They are located in FL and so am I. Honestly, it came down to me not wanting to pay the 6% sales tax lol. I try to avoid paying taxes went I'm not forced to.
Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I feel the kit is comparable / better than the other kits I looked at. I couldn't make myself buy a centri because of zero knowledge on my end. Beef filled me with a ton of information but I still couldn't do it. My Father and I have always had PD cars and his 14 Roush with upgrades isn't as quick as my 15 with the Whipple. Both manual cars just so fair is fair. We will find out come spring at the strip what the 15 will run but I can gap him (he does same in my 15) from a roll to XXX. Both are great running cars and the VMP/Roush kits are awesome also.
I agree, the whipple kit is high quality, huge potential, great support, which is why 9 out of 10 members on this forum have one, haha. You definitely pay more for it though. I prefer PD over Centri but the 2200 & D1 have put out insane results on the S550, hard to argue with the bang for the buck, I wouldn't be skeered to rock either one of those snails if I was on a budget.

Good luck at the strip, so far the drag strip results have been dismal with the Whipple supplied tune, down right astonishing, which is the only reason I make sure people don't forget about the performance of the VMP TVS.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wow! I am so glad that I bought when I did. If I was looking to buy right now, I would be looking at this http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49047

Look at how conservative that tune is and making really good power. Ken would wake that car up a lot!
The peak numbers look awesome, but that curve leaves a lot to be desired....Ken would definitely smooth that out. Twin Turbo is where it's at.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
The peak numbers look awesome, but that curve leaves a lot to be desired....Ken would definitely smooth that out. Twin Turbo is where it's at.
Yeah, I figure that it needs Ken's touch lol. But with super low boost and timing, it made good power. Ken would wake it up. I would like to see what it could do at 11 psi and more timing.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
I'd say procharger or whipple. TT is nice but super expensive. the procharger kits are doing really well on pump. I haven't seen anyone really pushing the whipple into the same realm as the procharger power. then again dyno numbers are all subjective so base it on how far you want to push your stock motor go from there
"super expensive"? i got quoted for the boostworks TT kit INSTALLED for right around what a kenne bell or whipple installed for me would be. and thats with precision turbos, not on3 (no offense).

TT I thought about, but I hear that TT cars seem to have many more issues than SC cars. Much more difficult to dial in, heat problems. I just do not want to break new ground here either with a brand new system as the kinks get worked out.
follow along with boostworks on their TT kit this weekend. it doesnt get much more "breaking new ground" than a car at the mile for its first stress test. turbo kits for these cars have been around for awhile too.

Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah, I figure that it needs Ken's touch lol. But with super low boost and timing, it made good power. Ken would wake it up. I would like to see what it could do at 11 psi and more timing.
the good news is that you already have as much power as your stock internals and mt82 can handle, haha. No need to wish upon anything else!

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I only wish my pride would have allowed me to go with an auto car.
I miss shifting gears horribly, my 15GT is my first auto sports car I've ever owned. She's down right dirty at the strip, and super casual effortless driving around town, but I miss being able to modulate the throttle and shift when I want. Grass isn't always greener, just faster :D

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special
"super expensive"? i got quoted for the boostworks TT kit INSTALLED for right around what a kenne bell or whipple installed for me would be. and thats with precision turbos, not on3 (no offense).
How'd you get that quote without specifics even being released yet? aren't they estimating the tuner kit to be around 7k. so yea its expensive when you consider the relativity of it. its going to get real pricey real quick from there

follow along with boostworks on their TT kit this weekend. it doesnt get much more "breaking new ground" than a car at the mile for its first stress test.
AGREED

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
With the forum discount I paid $7650 shipped. The equivalent whipple kit is pushing 10grand, not to mention the whipple kit ain't going mid 10's at 134 with the supplied whipple tune that is on more boost/3.625 pulley.

Ummmm yes, yes it is. Where do you come up with this stuff? Your saying .85psi more boost is what makes a 11 second car to mid 10's? Come on man.

There is nothing we have that is $10k. Our msrp of our stage 2 kit which is $8195 and has far better components and potential than a Roush/VMP TVS. Add the fans and it is $400 more.

That is also 50 state emissions legal vs a race part.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We chose to use Kenne Bell because we race what we sell..

- Liquid cooling for supercharger case/gears
- Wide range of supercharger options (2.8, 3.2, 3.6, 4.2, & 4.7)
- 1500hp capable manifold, TB, inlet, and intercooler, standard in every system.
- 4x6 rotor profile
- Quick turn-around time (3-4 days tops to have one shipped)
- Big TQ numbers to go along with 675-700whp figures on 93 octane and no additives.
- Competitive pricing
- 50 state legal, plug and play tuning solution. Plug it in and go.

We've made 1230whp with our regular 3.2L kit parts and 4.2L upgraded supercharger. Everything else in the kit remained the same as far as the hard parts (manifold, intercooler, throttle body, etc..

For us, it's a no brainer.. and we sell/install tons of them. :)

Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Ummmm yes, yes it is. Where do you come up with this stuff? Your saying .85psi more boost is what makes a 11 second car to mid 10's? Come on man.

There is nothing we have that is $10k. Our msrp of our stage 2 kit which is $8195 and has far better components and potential than a Roush/VMP TVS. Add the fans and it is $400 more.

That is also 50 state emissions legal vs a race part.
Ok, there are dozens of forum members running your kit/tune, and none of them are going mid 10's at 134+ on pump gas. With your one-off "Extensive tuning" Kumar's setup is running 15psi/race gas/800+whp and only trapping 2.5-3mph more then my pump gas 10.9psi/635whp setup on 20's. No idea what you are talking about regarding an 11 sec car, unless you are referring to your tune and your kit on 12.6+ psi. Once you add the fans to your kit, the total cost is $1000 more then the VMP TVS, with no BAP, and no one really cares about being 50 state legal. Wont be long before you can't use that line anymore though.

Your kit is badass, it definitely costs a premium over other kits, has the potential to do great things, but I'm going to be right here reminding you that the results from your tune/kit are just not there yet for you to constantly claim superiority over all, even after a full year of your kit being on the market.

I mean, can you imagine what my inferior VMP kit would do on 15psi/race gas?

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Ok, there are dozens of forum members running your kit/tune, and none of them are going mid 10's at 134+ on pump gas. With your one-off "Extensive tuning" Kumar's setup is running 15psi/race gas/800+whp and only trapping 2.5-3mph more then my pump gas 10.9psi/635whp setup on 20's. No idea what you are talking about regarding an 11 sec car, unless you are referring to your tune and your kit on 12.6+ psi. Once you add the fans to your kit, the total cost is $1000 more then the VMP TVS, with no BAP, and no one really cares about being 50 state legal. Wont be long before you can't use that line anymore though.

Your kit is badass, it definitely costs a premium over other kits, has the potential to do great things, but I'm going to be right here reminding you that the results from your tune/kit are just not there yet for you to constantly claim superiority over all, even after a full year of your kit being on the market.

I am still very deep into research, but want to get something ASAP. Do you know what kind of timing VMP is using? While I am comparing, I am unable to find that information. VMP sounds like a great SC, but then again they all do at this point......Extremely difficult to pick.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I am still very deep into research, but want to get something ASAP. Do you know what kind of timing VMP is using? While I am comparing, I am unable to find that information. VMP sounds like a great SC, but then again they all do at this point......Extremely difficult to pick.
The tunes timing will vary based on the tuner, fuel and other things. It depends on your goals. If it is 700rwhp on 93oct, I would go with Ken Bjonnes for tuning.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I don't want to get into a tuning war/discussion, but everyone knows I'm a fan of Ken Bjonnes. When I originally purchased my VMP kit (5/15) a Lund tune was provided with my kit. My tuner at Lund happened to be Ken Bjonnes, and I stuck with him when he went out on his own. If you want your TVS kit to perform exactly like my TVS kit then I would suggest giving Ken a call. My off the shelf map from Lund went 10.8's at 134mph on 93 pump, catalytic converters, and 20's. After a few catalog exchanges with Ken I've dropped to 10.5's, and have cut 1.4's on 20's, stock stall/shocks. With that being said, you could easily have a conversation with ken about timing, he's gonna be on top of things seeing that he had the kit on his 15 GT as well as tuning Kelly's (BMR) 8 sec TVS setup.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

Kumar ran 10.5 134 many times before upping the power. And you keep saying one off? That is a production cal, get your facts straight.

Mine ran 10.5, lifting before the finish line.

Most out there are manuals, which are much harder to run 10's.

Again as always you compare a custom, non emissions setup to a calibration that passed actual durability testing and meets CARB and EPA requirements. They are running 15psi with the same cal, aftermarket tuners have to make different cals. Won't be long until they are emissions approved, 2 years later??? And it does certainly matter. Statements like that is what's going to wreck the performance world for everyone.

Our kit runs 11psi and again, boost is just a measurement that has little to do with actual cylinder pressure since cams are variable as well as actual cylinder pressure.

Cost difference is $900, that also includes far nicer components, the actual ability to change wheel/axle ratio (remember you have to get tool from me for guys with VMP and Roush kit), Flight Control software and so many other features. Why don't you ask Lund or Ken about the differences since they compared both kits on the same car?

Apples to oranges. We will never sacrifice reliability and durability to gain 1-2mph as others will. We spent thousands of hours in Ford labs, Ford dynos with highly qualified Ford engineers to make sure we can push what we push. Do you know how many have broken there trans on 11-14 apps because they turn off all trq mgt or don't know all the proper functions of how to complete a shift safely?
Sponsored