SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Or even try your friendly neigbourhood mobile air-con outfit. Mine charged £80 for the Vette, did the leak test, and put some dye in to be on the safe side.
The gas they use in the Stang is more expensive though isn't it?
Sponsored

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Don't know what the Vette uses, but the mustang, like all new cars uses the more expensive type. Almost twice the price!

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Further update, I have now booked car into Kwik fit for sat morning for a recharge. Now on their website they advertise 2 charges - £59.95 for the R134 Gas and £129.95 for the R1234Y gas. On googling the R134 gas is old and was being fazed out from 2014 to 2016 with the new more environmentally friendly gas being used. According to ford and interwebs the 2016 has the R134 gas. The kwik fit man said that they will know straight away which is which as the intake pipe will show the fitting and this determines the gas.

Looking forward now as my office is lovely and cool and as much as I love my car, at the moment i dont want to drive it as its too hot inside !!!!!

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Further update, I have now booked car into Kwik fit for sat morning for a recharge. Now on their website they advertise 2 charges - £59.95 for the R134 Gas and £129.95 for the R1234Y gas. On googling the R134 gas is old and was being fazed out from 2014 to 2016 with the new more environmentally friendly gas being used. According to ford and interwebs the 2016 has the R134 gas. The kwik fit man said that they will know straight away which is which as the intake pipe will show the fitting and this determines the gas.

Looking forward now as my office is lovely and cool and as much as I love my car, at the moment i dont want to drive it as its too hot inside !!!!!
Just looked at the paperwork for my evaporator change, and it states they used R1234Y gas. My car was delivered in August 2016.

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Mine is Jan 2016 build and March 2016 delivery so will see what Gas it needs.

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
That sounds like the climate control process. When you first start up it will spend a little while measuring temperatures and then possibly waiting for warm or cold air to become available (ie aircon gets up to spec if cold is needed, or the engine warms up if hot is needed), when that cold or warm air is available it will blast the cabin at max flow until it gets at or near the required cabin temperature, when it will slow down so as to just maintain the set temperature.

Mine does that and it's OK.
I only ever have it set Iow though

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

Just been through the evap core replacement with Ford, they initially wanted to regas and see what happened, but the leak occurs inside the car so can't be seen. You need to be persistent with Ford, there is a long thread about this with a reference to a ford TSB.

My car was built in 2016 as a 2017MY and uses the more expensive aircon gas

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Is there anyway of checking the leak inside the car ?? As far as im aware there is no leak as the air con is still working although its not icey cold.

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Mine is Jan 2016 build and March 2016 delivery so will see what Gas it needs.
Mine was a Jan 16 build and the price I was charged seems to suggest the cheaper gas. Interested in yiur findings...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Further update.

After booking into Kwik Fit tomorrow and reading replies here and doing loads of googling, I called my supplying dealers and had a whinge at my salesman. Now I have a bit of a relationship with him as my family personally has bought 4 cars from him and he has had sales of about another 4 via me. When I call him he always wants to try and help out.

Now, he knows I'm on the forums and I always have a story about problems and sometimes tell him stuff he doesnt know, now the update is that he got the service manager to call me and an agreement has been reached that the car is going in tuesday for a check over and re-gas. I have not had a proper price on this however as I had mentioned before the £200 charge I have been told the price will be reduced. Now I dont know if they know there is a problem and are playing their cards close to their chest or just being super helpful ???

Once tuesday comes then hopefully I will have a definitive answer and fingers crossed cold aircon ? we will see and so will keep you all updated.

Stanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow edition Grabber Blue
Glad I read this thread. Mines a 2018 plate but really its a 2017 run out model, but anyway during the recent heat I can feel the aircon its definitely cold but I have to say I was expecting ice cubes , if nothing else I thought the Yanks designed aircon first then the car haha!

Its in for its first service tomorrow, might ask them just to check it over just in case.

I also have the rusty check strap pin one drivers side, which I asked them to look at , ' oh we dont do bodywork?, Have to check if its bodywork or trim!' Honestly really?

Anyway hope your aircon is sorted?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Update and hopefully resolution.

Car went in on Tuesday this week, car had a once over and check and apparently there appears to be no leaks or damage to the Evap core. Car has now had a re-gas and coloured dye inserted and all is well. Took car home and although the weather has not been as warm this week I have been testing the air-con and its back to its icy coldness. The other thing that's a bit weird is that although I know that the air-con and cooled seats are not connected, since the re-gas my seats are now back to being icy cold - Coincidence ????

The service and re-gas did cost £199 (Which is still under dispute) but apart from this I'm a happy bunny.

In my 30 years of driving and ownership of 30 odd cars - 20 of these have had air-con (some new and some second-hand) My Mustang is only the second car that I have needed to get re-gassed !!!

Fingers crossed that my car is now back to normal but will be keeping an eye on the air-con.

One thing to add to this - Ford recommend that the air-con is serviced and re-gassed every 3 years. I have not looking in the owners guide or checked the service book yet so cannot confirm this to be true - what they have told me makes sense but don't know if its just another way they can try and get money out of us - the same as when they tell you that the brake fluid needs changing !

Be aware people and check - As a matter of interest Kwik fit could have re-gassed for £129.95 but this is a gas only and not a service ?

Time will tell.

Stanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow edition Grabber Blue
Update and hopefully resolution.

Car went in on Tuesday this week, car had a once over and check and apparently there appears to be no leaks or damage to the Evap core. Car has now had a re-gas and coloured dye inserted and all is well. Took car home and although the weather has not been as warm this week I have been testing the air-con and its back to its icy coldness. The other thing that's a bit weird is that although I know that the air-con and cooled seats are not connected, since the re-gas my seats are now back to being icy cold - Coincidence ????

The service and re-gas did cost £199 (Which is still under dispute) but apart from this I'm a happy bunny.

In my 30 years of driving and ownership of 30 odd cars - 20 of these have had air-con (some new and some second-hand) My Mustang is only the second car that I have needed to get re-gassed !!!

Fingers crossed that my car is now back to normal but will be keeping an eye on the air-con.

One thing to add to this - Ford recommend that the air-con is serviced and re-gassed every 3 years. I have not looking in the owners guide or checked the service book yet so cannot confirm this to be true - what they have told me makes sense but don't know if its just another way they can try and get money out of us - the same as when they tell you that the brake fluid needs changing !

Be aware people and check - As a matter of interest Kwik fit could have re-gassed for £129.95 but this is a gas only and not a service ?

Time will tell.
Excellent news, hope its ok for you now.

To add to your post, mine had its first service and I asked them to check the aircon and its fine no issues. He did mention about the compressor having issues on Mustangs but it could have been the early ones?

Anyway its fine so far.
He also mentioned if you have an issue and the fix is under warranty you still have to pay the cost of the gas !!! Fantastic warranty Ford! Thats like saying if the engine exploded due to cylinder head issue, we replaced and repaired it all but you owe us x amount for the new oil we had to put in! Mad.

Oh and yes its the so called Swan and little Rabbits enviro friendly stuff which naturally has to be more expensive doesn't it. Surprised Ford dont dont charge you for the 'air' inside the cabin when you pick up your car from the dealers? :lipssealed:

On a positive note Evans Halshaw in Stretford were actually very good. They even left my car pride of place away from all the others with decent door space haha probably as the service guy doesn't have an HGV license to be able to manipulate the erm large turning circle!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
One thing to add to this - Ford recommend that the air-con is serviced and re-gassed every 3 years.
Told me the same thing. I'm sure i've seen it in writing in relation to the third service...
I'm in the exact same boat as you and 4 months in everything is still ok, so fingers crossed for both of us :wink:
Sponsored